Primaris Captains: Gravis vs Indomitus.

Paikis

So I'm getting ready to work on my Indomitus box and I've hit a bit of a snag. That being I already have the Gravis captain from Dark Imperium painted up and I don't really think I need a walking shield as a second captain when I wont be able to field them both anyway. What I'm thinking of doing is painting him up as the Sergeant for my Bladeguard Veterans(after I swap out that god-awful skeleton-on-a-shield) making it a 4 man squad. Maybe I can do something with the BG ancient to make a 5th member. My Bits box is deep enough, I should be able to do it.

From what I can see, here's the pros and con's for the two captains.

Gravis Pros:

- T5

- Options for melee. Tougher targets get the fist, lower T targets get the more accurate sword.

- Volume of shots (still not great, these guys both want to get stuck in)

Indomitus Pros:

- M6 (+1" move)

- Relic Shield makes him 2+/4++ with a 4+ chance to ignore mortal wounds.

- Fits better in transports.

Does that about sum it up? Did I miss anything? Can anyone think of a reason to use him that I might have missed?

Make one a chapter master, then you can have an additional captain, I think.

Gravis captain -> Chapter master with boltstorm gauntlet and Angel's Artifice is 2+/4++, T6, W8, so quite tanky.

Give him Rites of War and Vox Espiritum for an 18" diameter ObSec bubble for all your CORE and CHARACTERS, stick him within 6" of the centre of the table and laugh as the secondary points roll in. 

Plus Gravis captains CAN look cool, just takes some effort!

Well, here's a picture of my Gravis Captain from waaay back when I painted him. I actually like how he looks much better than the walking-shield.

I've done some basic kit-bash on the walking-shield captain and I think I should be able to use him as a Bladeguard or Captain, they'll be have gold helmets anyway.

I also converted the lieutenant to a sarge as well. I have never used a lieutenant before, too many HQ to choose from

I quite like that you can fit 2 Lts in a single slot, allowing you to share the buffs around. A Bladeguard Lt is actually pretty good as he is the only build available to most Chapters with an Invulnerable save.

Compare the stats of a Bladeguard Lt to a Firstborn captain and they are remarkably similar in terms of capability but the Lt only takes up 1/2 a slot. The Captain obviously stands out for mobility options and buffing plasma but for a regular beatstick the BG Lt is pretty good.

Having said that, I normally ply at 1500 points and haven't actually managed to find a way to squeeze 2 Lts into a list. :biggrin.:

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up just painting the walking shield as a captain. A simple head swap was the only change I made. Putting a Terminator shield onto the massive hunk of metal just looks silly so I even left the skeleton on there.

Now what to do with the skeleton-on-a-stick ancient? Paint him up as-is or turn him into a Sanguinary Priest? I don't really need another SP, so maybe I'll leave him for a bit while I paint the Lieutenant and BG Vets.

The Indomitus is better. There is no special bonuses for him being gravis beyond the t5 snd w6

Most people attacking a captain likely are going to be bringing weapons that still wound on 3+ and make you take invul save. I still use my captain slot for a smash captain so I can move him around more freely. Gravis just doesn't lend to moving around much. The only way to boost that is a repulsor...no thanks

My experience with the relic shield is that when people have an opportunity to toss some his way they choose not to more than they do. 50/50 vs guaranteed kill.

Id rather take a phobos captain vs a gravis because he brings utility and he's tough to kill with shooting

Edited by Debauchery101

Now what to do with the skeleton-on-a-stick ancient? Paint him up as-is or turn him into a Sanguinary Priest? I don't really need another SP, so maybe I'll leave him for a bit while I paint the Lieutenant and BG Vets.

He does look pretty as a Sanguinary Priest...

med_gallery_82363_13858_32913.jpgmed_gallery_82363_13858_122905.jpg

Goblin green and flock, you do the Emperors work brother.

The Gravis Captain has T5 and 6W but so does a Biker Captain but he has far more mobility, better firepower etc.

I suppose the Gravis Captain has access to THP and the Gravis save boosting strat but if you are running other Primaris units in your army, chances are that there will be competition for those.

I just cant get behind the Gravis Captain model. if they re do in the newer sleeker style of gravis yes. Till then rules or no i just cant field it.

Shield captain is solid if you need a line anchor.

right? All the other primaris captains can be armed nearly like all others in the same armor type. Where's the dual aggro fist option? Hvy intercessor rifles? Melta rifle? Frag storm launchers?

People would gladly pay the points to load down a Gravis captain with all kinds of options. You'd think a gravis captain in salamanders would by default take two flame storm gauntlets or a blood angels gravis captain would love to strap on an inceptor jump pack

Edited by Debauchery101