Sanguinary Priest

Karhedron

I have been having a lot of fun running a jump Sanguinary Priest to accompany my Sanguinary Guard, Attack Bikes and Inceptors. I think he will be a regular feature in my lists going forward. The only downside if that my old 3rd edition metal model was looking rather small and sorry for himself. I needed something more fitting for my Warlord.

The model is based on the Bladeguard Ancient from Indomitus. The grail comes from the BA accessory sprue while the chainsword arm and tilting shield come from the Primaris upgrade sprue. Technically there is not such thing as a Primaris Sanguinary Priest but since I plan to run him with a suit of Relic Armour anyway, I figure I can get away with.

I am pretty pleased with the way the conversion turned out. I had to fudge the wrist holding the Grail slightly. When it first tried it, he was holding the Grail almost sideways which looked wrong with the horizontal blood inside. I added a triangular wedge of plastic to straighten the wrist. Close up it looks slightly odd but from normal viewing distance it is OK. I used a Gravis shoulder pad from the Primaris upgrade sprue to match the style of the Baladeguard. This is the only thing I would change if I were doing it again as I had to pack out the inside of the pad with filler to fit on the Tacticus arm. There model doesn't actually need this size if shoulderpad since the other arm is covered by the robe and the pad is not visible. Anyone else wanting to try the same conversion, a normal size Primaris pad would be easier and look just fine.

med_gallery_82363_13858_32913.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_32913.jpg

med_gallery_82363_13858_122905.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_122905.jpg

med_gallery_82363_13858_260337.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_260337.jpg
Edited by Karhedron

I've built a Corbulo/Priest based on that very same principle and I think it's one of the best available usages of the BGA body.
I did add the original Corbulo's Grail arm though and a pauldron, which is not a perfect fit and I will probably revisit it's positioning and fill it partly with GS when I get to painting him.
Another added thing that I really like are the Reivers/Infiltrators smoke grenades-turned vials. Just scrape the pins, and they are perfect :smile.:

Other than that, I used a 32mm base to have no issues during plays (not that I played any game since that xxxx Covid-thing dropped).
med_gallery_105306_14251_1060898.jpg

Edited by Majkhel

I like that conversion a lot

Might have to do something similar, as I dont see a bladeguard ancient ever hitting the table

Last game I played the Priest went beast mode after 2 full payload manticores blew up the bikers turn 1. He kept himself and a judiciar alive thru 3 turns of basically being the only thing alive on the table for me besides a whirlwind guarding my home objective.

Healing 2 characters for 3 wounds each feels dirty, especially when the priest has a 2+ save and 5 wounds from armor indomitus

And the 3++ was brutal, letting him shrug of 2 command squads of plasma fire with just 3 wounds taken the turn after his bike screen was obliterated.

Edited by The Unseen

Yes indeedy! :biggrin.:

I am torn between an offensive loadout with Selfless Healer, Teeth of Terra and Artificer Armour (via Artisan of War) and a more defensive build of Selfless Healer and Armour Indomitus.

Even with Artificer Armour, I am concerned the Priest is slightly squishy with just 4 wounds. Armour Indomitus boosts that to 5 and gives a one-off 3++ if you get caught in a tight spot (as The Unseen demonstrated).

Edited by Karhedron

I think with just the chainsword, inferno pistol, and armor he's the best.

I would rather have double relic and a warlord trait on a captain, though in smaller games for pts I could definitely see forgoing a tooled up captain and give the priest both, because I'd give up the captain before SP if he had decent stuff to keep alive thru fnp and free rez's.

Artificer would definitely be nice, but I feel he's probably better as a buffer and horde mulcher rather than a duellist. Teeth of Terra gives him some nasty bite, but I'd still want him comfortably nestled in with a squad of Bladeguard or Sanguard. You could also still have a librarian cast an invuln on him.

It's too hard to resist giving Artisan of War and Armour Indomitus to a Smash Chaplain, who you could much more confidently throw into an enemy 'ard-case. Imperium's Sword looking tempting there too...

If you want to make a really tanky chapter Master then I would be tempted to start with the Biker Captain for an extra +1W and +1T. He is faster too although it does limit his mobility. The Iron Resolve WLT gives him another +1W and a 6+++.

I think with just the chainsword, inferno pistol, and armor he's the best.

I would rather have double relic and a warlord trait on a captain, though in smaller games for pts I could definitely see forgoing a tooled up captain and give the priest both, because I'd give up the captain before SP if he had decent stuff to keep alive thru fnp and free rez's.

What Inferno pistol, they dont have any weapon options ...