Leviathan Dreadnought Build

DarthOvious

The storm cannon took a bit hit this edition, I think.

I'd generally have tried to run a claw on it, but that's less needed now they can fire into combat - generally more deadly than their attacks. If the bombard is blast, I'd go at least one storm cannon. 

Edited by Xenith

I ran the math on the new Levi stats a few weeks ago, so I don't remember the specifics, but I recall that with the nerfs and the large point reduction it's actually about as good as it was before, point for point. That was in regard to the dual storm cannons. The ability to use the volkite instead of the flamers was responsible for making up a bit of the loss in efficiency.

You can also now include a techmarine and still come in under the old points cost. You can get WS 2+ back with the techmarine, he adds a few shots into the equation, heals, and can help fight it out of being tagged.

Apologies I can't fully answer your question, I don't own the other shooting weapons so I didn't run that math. The range buff to the cannons is also a big buff to what used to be one of the few downsides.

I plugged the Grav into Mathammer and was surprised to see it killed the same number of Intercessors as the Stormcannons. I think Intercessors are a fair comparison point, where the Grav will then be better against heavier targets and Stormcannons will perform better against hordes.

Since they're even for this test the edge goes to Grav on pure efficiency since it's cheaper. However it's shorter range and blast, so much more susceptible to being tagged and shut down.

I ran it a 3 game mini RTT with two storm cannons and heavy flamers. It does balance out with greater range however it's now far less likely to wipe whole units with one round of shooting. The heavy flamers mean I can move it into the centre of the board or to hold midfield objectives and deter potential tarpits