Space marine tank markings

hLi8aYq.jpg

If you want to be completely Codex-compliant, this image comes from a Space Marine Codex (I don't know offhand which edition it's from, sorry).

You can of course follow this (especially if you're painting a Codex-compliant Chapter), you could adapt it to suit what you want, or you could completely ignore it and come up with something totally different.

Edit: autocorrect

Edited by pawl

The closest we've had for this was the insignium astartes book. The section on vehicles was not very comprehensive.

From memory what you propose is entirely in line with that book, as there is no distinctive chapter specific system for vehicle markings.

Another good source you could use are images displaying the locations of troop markings on WW2 British/Commonwealth tanks, as the layout on Astartes vehicles is very similar to that used by those tanks. You only need replace the historical markings with those pertinent to your chosen Chapter and you should be good to go.

I'm not sure that space marines really have squadrons of tanks in the first place. Each vehicle is named and has its own history like any brother marine would. I've never had the impression that there's enough of them in the armoury to warrant grouping them in squadrons.

That said, your idea is cool and I may have to steal it in order to add some visual interest to my predators.