Make your own Fallen for Crusade

Berzul

So, the new post from Warhammer Community says that, in Crusade, we should bring our own Fallen model, to lend our opponents. So that we can hunt this model down. Which I find AWESOME as a concept, because it gives us a way to actually HUNT FALLEN even when there are like four guys in the entire planet that actually play a squad of these traitors.

Now, the idea of making our own quarry; by modelling our own special little Fallen to go and hunt, is something that I think is an incredible opportunity for creativity.

What do you think, brothers? What kind of Fallen would YOU make, in order to go Hunt him down in your Crusades? Lets share ideas and pictures!!

I’m particularly fond of bringing a model with kitbashed armor from multiple marks, dual welding a bolt pistol and plasma pistol. Of course a tattered clock and hood is mandatory, and a large sword slung on his back that none can touch but him. We can even add a story to the sword, idk, something cool like... it’s broken and he’s trying to give it to someone or something idk

I’m really torn between just using the 30k DA praetor and the cypher. I think they obviously fit the aesthetic, and are cooler than anything I could ever design

Edited by jbaeza94

It’s funny, I have a box of Veterans that I’ve mostly been using for spare parts, but was just wondering what I would do with it. I was thinking of building a Company Veterans squad just because I have the models, but I don’t think I’d use them in games. Once I see the rules, I might wind up painting their armor black and using them for this! (Need to resist the urge to buy a bunch of 30k bits for them, though…)

I also have a box of Veterans around here. Was planning on using four of them to make some Assassins (that is, make models equipped similarly to the ones of the officio assessinorum, just for fun, so I can play assassins but with models from my army, lore be damned). That still leaves one model to be assembled. I think I might use that robed body, plus some Chaos bits, to make a Fallen.

I've been planning on making some Fallen from the new Chaos Marines Box, the Dark Angels Legion Heads, the Dark Angels Mark III shoulders and some backpacks/shoulders from loyalist Marines.

I'd de-chaos the Chaos Marines kit, as once you remove some of the more outright Chaotic bits, it can fit Fallen quite well :yes:

The hard part will be the painting :lol:

I've got Cypher that needs to be painted, actually 2 of them.  I've also got a box with 4 DA vets that need to be built and painted, I used one model for another project I'm working on.  I'd like to see the rules for the model and then decide how I'll build one.

I'm a little worried that the model is just a token, another objective to fight over like the apothecary crusade agenda "recover gene-seed".  That isn't a terrible agenda, but the target stays in one place and doesn't fight back, the model is dead after all.  I'm hoping the Fallen moves, shoots and fights, with some options for how it is equipped.

I don't even play 9th edition, but people telling me how good Crusade is and this idea specifically is making me want to get into it with a new Dark Angels army. Give the person who came up with this a medal. Here's my start on two Fallen.

med_gallery_93054_16876_7772.jpgmed_gallery_93054_16876_147066.jpg

The idea was to use a mix of Chaos Space Marines and Mark III kits - about half of each - to give a flavour of both Chaos and 30k without either dominating. The one on the left suffers from the scale creep - the mk iii torso is too short with those legs, and needs either a spacer or perhaps I should have used Deathwatch torso instead. I am thinking about sculpting a kind of 'shawl' for him to give a bit more cloth. One on the right has a Deathwing head, but the neck isn't really long enough, I don't think there is much holding it on right now.

I don't even play 9th edition, but people telling me how good Crusade is and this idea specifically is making me want to get into it with a new Dark Angels army. Give the person who came up with this a medal.  Here's my start on two Fallen.

[images snipped]

The idea was to use a mix of Chaos Space Marines and Mark III kits - about half of each - to give a flavour of both Chaos and 30k without either dominating.  The one on the left suffers from the scale creep - the mk iii torso is too short with those legs, and needs either a spacer or perhaps I should have used Deathwatch torso instead.  I am thinking about sculpting a kind of 'shawl' for him to give a bit more cloth.  One on the right has a Deathwing head, but the neck isn't really long enough, I don't think there is much holding it on right now.

Crusade is definitely super fun. It can be SUPER imbalanced if someone goes on a winning spree and gets a bunch of upgrades before the others, but the narrative is always nice.

And I can't really tell any issues with the left Fallen at all? The right looks nice and yeah, the Deathwing Knight hooded heads have issues fitting on non-Terminator torsos due to differing neck joints. I'd recommend a small bit of greenstuff in the neck hole to make a new base for the head.

I don't even play 9th edition, but people telling me how good Crusade is and this idea specifically is making me want to get into it with a new Dark Angels army. Give the person who came up with this a medal.  Here's my start on two Fallen.

[images snipped]

The idea was to use a mix of Chaos Space Marines and Mark III kits - about half of each - to give a flavour of both Chaos and 30k without either dominating.  The one on the left suffers from the scale creep - the mk iii torso is too short with those legs, and needs either a spacer or perhaps I should have used Deathwatch torso instead.  I am thinking about sculpting a kind of 'shawl' for him to give a bit more cloth.  One on the right has a Deathwing head, but the neck isn't really long enough, I don't think there is much holding it on right now.

Crusade is definitely super fun. It can be SUPER imbalanced if someone goes on a winning spree and gets a bunch of upgrades before the others, but the narrative is always nice.

And I can't really tell any issues with the left Fallen at all? The right looks nice and yeah, the Deathwing Knight hooded heads have issues fitting on non-Terminator torsos due to differing neck joints. I'd recommend a small bit of greenstuff in the neck hole to make a new base for the head.

I have been running a Crusade Campaign for months now. In fact, you can find a whole breakdownf rules, rounds and full battle reports on each engagement, in a link in my signature. Its been going on for over 11 battles so far, and we still have 3 rounds to go before it is done. 

From this experience I can confirm that: 

1) Crusade is INCREDIBLY fun. In fact, I do think I have enjoyed Crusade more than regular Matched Games, and WAY more than regular pick-up Narrative Games. Regular narrative games are quite plain, and in fact, bring little to the proceedings. You could just as well craft a full narrative through regular matched games. But, Crusade? It adds a a LOT in terms of narrative through rules and progression.

2) Crusade is definetly for narratives. You can just play it min/maxing lists, and trying to just win, but you will miss the whole point. Leaning into the narrative aspects, even if at times it can be to your detriment, is where most of the fun can be found.

3) Crusade is THE MOST IMBALANCED THING I HAVE EVER PLAYED in my entire life! Hahahahaha! Oh god, you just won't really appretiate it until you try it.

We had one player in our group of four in this free for all urban crusade, win his first two matches. Through agendas (using one for Space Marines that is just bonkers, granting HUGE exp to EVERYONE on the roster) this one guy got his entire Crusade Force from green soldiers into battle hardenned ones, right away. From then on, it became a rolling boulder of pure overpowerdness, and now his roster is all Level 3 Units (moving quickly into level 4), while everyone else has a few units at level 2, and everyone else at level 1, still.

How? By just using the same list every time, instead of using the Crusade Roster to rotate units and make variations on lists. Maximizing agendas, and farming experience points like crazy. 

Right now his entire army hits with +1, rerrolls 1s, and can move across battle doctrines at will. It is insane. He just curbstomps everyone in under three rounds, every time. The only guy in the group that has been able to defeat him once is the Necron player who decided to bring nothing but Skorpekh Destroyers and just bash into him until there was nothing left.

So, yeah... Crusade is fun, and amazing if you love narrative, but it is absolutely imbalanced. By its very nature. And the "You gain extra CP" mechanic to balance things out is worthless.

... I can't really tell any issues with the left Fallen at all?

Thanks. I think it was more obvious before I put the backpack on, which gives him a bit more height overall, and the shoulders help too.

And thanks for the crusade tips both. I can live with being a plucky underdog. I play games seldom these days, but in my youth I played very intensive campaigns in Bloodbowl and Chaos Warbands (WFB 3rd edition) so you never expected perfect balance, sometimes you revelled in it.

I have been running a Crusade Campaign for months now. In fact, you can find a whole breakdownf rules, rounds and full battle reports on each engagement, in a link in my signature. Its been going on for over 11 battles so far, and we still have 3 rounds to go before it is done. 

Your Campaign thread is awesome- thanks for the link.

That Angels of Death Agenda can get a bit out of hand. After the Outriders achieved Blooded in the first game, every time I faced them, I would have re-jigged my own Agenda for survival in order to be able to fulfil my Agenda with the primary intent actually being to deny him his Agenda. 

The added layer of territorial control you get from Urban Conquest also complicates Agenda/ Agenda Denial focused strategies- you can't necessarily play to deny Angels of Death at the expense of losing the game if it's going to cost you territory.

Thanks!! I had not revisited the thread in a while, so I haven't noticed the pictures of the first three battles are broken... Gotta find time to fix that.

Luckly, the following reports still have their pictures up.

Adding Urban Conquest has made this whole thing even more fun. I serioulsy recommend it. Our adaptation of the Rules of Urban Conquest has worked REALLY well for us. I definetly recommend this system we have implemented.

It meant taking out some strategic resources entirely, and switch some things around. A LOT of special rules of Urban Conquest are not used at all, but what IS used enhances the narrative a lot.

Just in case, we are almost finished with our crusade campaign. The thread is updated with the last battles, a rundown of the results, and the context for what will be the "Ending" of the campaign itself.