Silver Templars...because I am lazy

Chiam

I like painting but sometimes I can be my worst enemy, especially when it comes to taking to long on painting models let alone armies. 

So I am going to start posting progress to try and get this project completed. 

First up...A test model. Which turned into a sergeant.

0nDuG6c.jpg

Despite the obvious things that aren't done, the silver is incredibly simple, which gives me more time to spend on the other details instead of edge highlighting armour panels left, right and centre. 

As always I appreciate CC as well as suggestions. 

The model is well-painted. What backstory will you claim for his Chapter? "The Silver Templars are a 4th Founding Chapter, descended from the Imperial Fists via the Black Templars. After the War of the Beast and the First Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler tested Imperial forces most strenuously, the Black Templars were forced to admit the Chapter could not simultaneously defend the Emperor's realm from Chaos worshipers within and xenos without; to rectify this, the Black Templars donated the necessary gene-seed to found the Silver Templars, and trainers to teach the newfound Chapter's Neophytes to follow in the path of Sigismund, the Emperor's Champion during the Horus Heresy, later the Black Templars' First Chapter Master"?

The model is well-painted. What backstory will you claim for his Chapter? "The Silver Templars are a 4th Founding Chapter, descended from the Imperial Fists via the Black Templars. After the War of the Beast and the First Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler tested Imperial forces most strenuously, the Black Templars were forced to admit the Chapter could not simultaneously defend the Emperor's realm from Chaos worshipers within and xenos without; to rectify this, the Black Templars donated the necessary gene-seed to found the Silver Templars, and trainers to teach the newfound Chapter's Neophytes to follow in the path of Sigismund, the Emperor's Champion during the Horus Heresy, later the Black Templars' First Chapter Master"?

While that’s a great backstory, the Silver Templars are the chapter created specifically for Conquest magazine. They’ve been given a “Codex” of sorts, a novel, GW transfer sheets and the like. They’re Ultramarine successors.

I much prefer your backstory to the official one, it must be said.

Looks good - I had the conquest paint set/guide delivered for silver templars delivered last week. I got it for the models/paints (a pretty good restock for the ones I was needing for Dark Angels) rather than doing these guys though I am tempted to give it a go.

They got chapter specific rules in a white dwarf too I think

I like this a whole lot more than the official story.

So slowly been adding some additions. 

Nothing finished yet but damn Silver is an easy colour to paint. 

GStCChO.jpg?1

Some of these have had some additional detailing done, to get a feel for the parts I actually have to paint and not just shade. 

lDP9BSI.jpg?1

ABQC9bV.jpg?1

Decided to go with second Company. It was mainly so I could use Yellow as the knee pad to tie in with the yellow of the shoulder pads, creating a 'triangle' of colour. 

Need to decide something for basing. Probably just standard GW dirt and grass?

Edited by Chiam

Looks good - I had the conquest paint set/guide delivered for silver templars delivered last week. I got it for the models/paints (a pretty good restock for the ones I was needing for Dark Angels) rather than doing these guys though I am tempted to give it a go.

They got chapter specific rules in a white dwarf too I think

I've got another paint set in a cart, just trying to work out if I need more transfers. Hopefully they stay in stock until Friday when I can make the final call. 

Good start! Keeping the bulk of the armour simple is a good idea, it'll let you stay focussed on the details without getting burned out if you plan to paint a lot of these guys.

Yeah, I'm happy with how quickly it gets the bulk of the model done. I spend more time edge highlighting the armour on my Emperor's Spears then it took me to do the entire of the test model. 

Was thinking the same for when I get back around to my Primaris.

What colors did you use (especially the yellow)?

Makes me wish I'd chosen Silver Skulls for black shoulder pads for extra ease. 

The armour is: 

Leadbelcher spray

All over drybrush of Ironbreaker

Wash with 3/1/1 Nuln Oil/Black Templar/Water

The yellow:

Corax White

Yriel Yellow

Downwards glaze of 1/1 Iyaden Yellow/Contrast Medium.

No highlighting on the infantry, but will probably do ushabti on vehicles etc if needed. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think an update is due, now that a few weeks have gone by.

I managed to complete the first squad and also put some paint on a Redemptor Dreadnaught that I had put aside for the Silver Templars. 

Pretty happy by how they have turned out, simple but effective once they are placed together.

aikDjoC.jpg?1

• 11 months later...