Intercessor weapon choices

Vettanker

The 3-shot auto bolt rifles are the best in my view. The extra shot outweighs the value of the extra pip of AP in the rapid fire one. Plus, the ability to advance and shoot gels well with BA who want to (generally) be mobile. 

The stalker rifle is an interesting choice, probably best for sitting at the back on a objective sniping away. But yeah, auto or stalker in my view. 

what ever bolt rifle type you pick, i'd say the AGL is damn near a must have.

The 3-shot auto bolt rifles are the best in my view. The extra shot outweighs the value of the extra pip of AP in the rapid fire one. Plus, the ability to advance and shoot gels well with BA who want to (generally) be mobile. 

The stalker rifle is an interesting choice, probably best for sitting at the back on a objective sniping away. But yeah, auto or stalker in my view. 

if you're going to spend points on a troop unit to sit in the back and provide fire support might as well just go with the heavies at that point.

I agree, the auto-bolt rifle variant is probably the most useful. Adding a melee weapon is definitely a good idea. Even a simple Chainsword is a decent upgrade as your Serg will get 4 attacks with AP-1 in the first round of combat (5A and AP-2 once we are in the Assault Doctrine). A Power sword is cheap but gives a bit more bite. Both work well with Red Thirst.

Stalkers Bolt Rifles for Backfield Objective Campers were a popular choice early in 8th but I would not go for them personally. If you want backfield Objective holders then Heavy Intercessors do the same job but are more durable while Infiltrators are also good and have a 12" bubble to deny Reserves which makes them harder to ambush.

TLDR: Auto-bolt rifles and a cheap melee weapon upgrade.

I agree, the auto-bolt rifle variant is probably the most useful. Adding a melee weapon is definitely a good idea. Even a simple Chainsword is a decent upgrade as your Serg will get 4 attacks with AP-1 in the first round of combat (5A and AP-2 once we are in the Assault Doctrine). A Power sword is cheap but gives a bit more bite. Both work well with Red Thirst.

Stalkers Bolt Rifles for Backfield Objective Campers were a popular choice early in 8th but I would not go for them personally. If you want backfield Objective holders then Heavy Intercessors do the same job but are more durable while Infiltrators are also good and have a 12" bubble to deny Reserves which makes them harder to ambush.

TLDR: Auto-bolt rifles and a cheap melee weapon upgrade.

To my mind the stalker as a back field camping unit is actually better than the heavy intercessor choice. They cost less to start with. I want my more durable units further forward on the table and the heavier fire power of the Heavy Intercessors is what I want planted just north of the center of the table. they should take the abuse and dish it out while having more board control with their range band. The could easily shoot back to my back field, given los. Why hide them in the back, put them to work. 

But don't look at that in a bubble they, like every other unit need to be supported. 

Other than that I like the Assault Bolters and the Bolt Rifle. 

Each weapon type has its uses, but arguably the auto bolt rifle and stalker bolt rifle come out on top in terms of usefulness. In tandem with our chapter tactic the auto bolt rifle is the best choice; move, shoot, and charge! ... 10 stalker bolt rifles can do damage against infantry, round after round. The only argument I can make for the standard rapid fire bolt rifle is if you need a little more range at the start of the match? Sometimes that 6" can make a difference.

I have 10 intercessors with the rapid fire bolt rifle that I recently finished painting, and I use them every match because painted Blood Angels > not painted Blood Angels ;) .... I plan on getting the combat patrol box and those five will be equipped with the auto-bolt rifle :)

If I were starting a Blood Angel army I'd equip them with auto bolt rifles because you will probably get the most use out of that version at first. Once you have a large army and units to pick and choose from then you can work in a stalker squad for those games where you want some backfield anti-infantry shooters.

I think the executor bolters on heavies will make stalkers obsolete, no? Bigger bang for buck on a more durable platform.

Auto bolters are very efficient for firepower and assaulting.

It might? It will come down to point cost imo, and the real fact that many marine players already have a stalker bolt rifle squad. The latter will only last so long though.

It will come down to point cost imo,..

I very much agree with this statement.

Heavy Intercessors cost 40% more than Intercessors. That's 2 Intercessors or another fully kitted SG (special pistol+PF) or a JP DC with TH. Both of the latter options can easily make their points back in terms of damage output.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are bad, but those are still Troops, and cost-efficiency is one of the main factors for them. 

At the risk of going off-topic, Heavy Intercessors are more durable compared to Intercessors than an initial glance would imply. 3 Wounds means that common 2D anti-MEQ weapons like Grav and overcharged plasma will be less effective due to wasted wounds. It takes 2 plasma hits to take down a Heavy Intercessor and damage is not carried over. Also the Strat to give +1 save vs 1D weapons helps avoid the bucket of dice problem.

For me, a big proportion of choosing the weapons depends on what else is in your army. Intercessor Sergeants can take a melee weapon while Heavy Intercessor's cannot. This encourages me to operate regular Intercessors in the midfield where Auto-bolt rifles seem to offer better returns.

In the backfield, the choice of cheaper Stalkers or more durable Heavy Intercessors will largely come down to points and taste.

What are people's thoughts on Grenade Launchers? To me they look like a great buy since it can be fired in addition to the bolt rifle. Well worth the points IMHO.

Does anyone have any alternative opinions?

I want more of them. I only have one. Honestly as a "throw away shot" with blast rule I like them. More for that tac list where AM or Orks may turn up unscheduled. 

I always try to take a Grenade Launcher if I can afford it. It's a lot of cheap utility for the price.

I play a lot of games at 1k points rather than 2k, so Heavy Intercessors are not really a cost effective option for me. In that situation, I really like the utility of SBRs on whichever squad is going to be holding my deployment objective. If you can get them up into elevated cover, they really shine as a way to put at least a couple wounds on any target.

I always try to take a Grenade Launcher if I can afford it. It's a lot of cheap utility for the price.

I play a lot of games at 1k points rather than 2k, so Heavy Intercessors are not really a cost effective option for me. In that situation, I really like the utility of SBRs on whichever squad is going to be holding my deployment objective. If you can get them up into elevated cover, they really shine as a way to put at least a couple wounds on any target.

what ever bolt rifle type you pick, i'd say the AGL is damn near a must have.

if you're going to spend points on a troop unit to sit in the back and provide fire support might as well just go with the heavies at that point.

^ this. The AGL on intercessors is like a storm-bolter + chainsword on tatical marine squad sergeants: never leave home without it!

Is there ever a reason to give an intercessor sergeant the pistol and chain sword option, without a bolter? The upgrade sprue and squad pictures show a sergeant with that load out but for the life of me I’m not seeing why you’d ever just not keep the bolter on them? Maybe it’s a relic from prior editions where options and points were different, but it just kind of doesn’t make sense to me, especially as that model is usually front and center in pictures of intercessors. The pose does look awesome, but there’s no penalty for having all three weapons so it defeats the purpose of the pose, unless I’m missing something.

As far as I can tell, you only need to ditch the bolt weapon if you want a plasma pistol or hand flamer otherwise you can keep the bolt weapon as everyone has the bolt pistol as standard equipment while taking a melee weapon option on the sarge. 

Unless I'm misreading terribly, you can take the boltgun, bolt pistol, and chain sword all on the same sergeant. The box should come with a right arm option featuring a bolt rifle hanging by a sling w/ a pistol in hand, and the swords are left handed, if you want to model all three on the miniature itself.

The confusion comes from the fact that for some treason Chainswords are being modelled in the left hand mostly. Additionally, Bolter variants being held in one hand are also modelled that way (Intercessors, Infiltrators/Incursors). But the datasheet for Intercessors is clear - you can take the Chainsword/Power Sword/Thunder Hammer/Power Fist in addition to the Bolter+Bolt Pistol loadout.
It just requires some minor conversion skill to perform (the easiest being modelling the CC weapon into the right hand). Bolt Pistols are also available in holster in the Intercessors sprue for WYSIWYG, or you can just glue them the thigh representing the option to mag-lock equipment to the armour's surface. Same goes for the CC weapon btw.

Edited by Majkhel

After Mondays game I got thinking about this topic on my drive home. I tried stalker bolters on one squad and assault bolters on my Intercessor DC squad. Bolt rifles on the other two squads. I'm not sure I care one way or the other for the stalker now. I was interested in the range and damage but under the circumstances couldn't make much use of them.  The assault bolters while in tactical are money and the "standard" Bolt rifles are amazing. these two are tied for my attention for range weapons. 

That said I'm also rethinking assault Intercessors. I want to try them out in a list as soon as I can. The Outriders were a nightmare of ACS attacks and maybe more of that is a good idea. I'm looking a a big shift in my units and army structure to make use of these. no list as of yet still thinking it over. I'm starting to want to put the enemy to the sword. I blame a Chaplin for that. Far too inspiring.

After Mondays game I got thinking about this topic on my drive home. I tried stalker bolters on one squad and assault bolters on my Intercessor DC squad. Bolt rifles on the other two squads. I'm not sure I care one way or the other for the stalker now. I was interested in the range and damage but under the circumstances couldn't make much use of them. The assault bolters while in tactical are money and the "standard" Bolt rifles are amazing. these two are tied for my attention for range weapons.

That said I'm also rethinking assault Intercessors. I want to try them out in a list as soon as I can. The Outriders were a nightmare of ACS attacks and maybe more of that is a good idea. I'm looking a a big shift in my units and army structure to make use of these. no list as of yet still thinking it over. I'm starting to want to put the enemy to the sword. I blame a Chaplin for that. Far too inspiring.

Auto bolt rifles and hellstorm bolt rifles all day erryday

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all in favour of the auto bolt rifles too. 3 shots even when advancing just makes them more flexible as objective grabbers. It's not so much the extra range of advance and shoot but more being able to advance closer to something like an objective and still having the ability to shoot, albeit at -1. And even without the advance option being utilised, the auto bolt rifles beat the standard variant against most target types thanks to the extra shot(s).

I also concur with others that if I want a unit to stand at the back and never move there are probably better options than Stalkers, for us.

Auto bolt rifles get my vote as well. The extra shots are better against almost every target except 2+ saves, and bolt rifles are basically doing nothing there either. I'd rather have the benefits of being able to advance and shoot ,and better horde clearance.

and let's face it you probably be using Intercessors to target a 2+ units unless they're the only thing you can target anyway.