State of the Union (Heresy)

Article about MkVI marines is up. Looks like they don't come with special/heavy weapon options.

I'd really rather they just made separate support/heavy kits in the end. Although it was kind of fun eventually piecing together enough heavy bolters to make a heavy support squad out of the MK III/IV kit, it really kind of sucks.

@nosrenda, unfortunately doesn't really compare the old one to the new with just the datasheet. 

Geo-locator is once per battle, reroll the first reserve roll of the turn (from turn 2 onwards). 

Command vox relay is share embarked character's LD for morale and pinning if within 18" of the damocles, or the squad has a nuncio. 

It's still a combo piece, but in a "one and done" kind of way. Kind of really needs a heavy reserve list to be worth taking, but a clutch deepstrike assault can win the game. 

It's still a combo piece, but in a "one and done" kind of way. Kind of really needs a heavy reserve list to be worth taking, but a clutch deepstrike assault can win the game. 

Just to expand on this for those that haven't kept up with everything, you now make a single roll for all deep strikers, and a single roll for all outflankers.

Article about MkVI marines is up. Looks like they don't come with special/heavy weapon options.

I'd really rather they just made separate support/heavy kits in the end. Although it was kind of fun eventually piecing together enough heavy bolters to make a heavy support squad out of the MK III/IV kit, it really kind of sucks.

Agree. What annoys me is that it appears there is no Bolt Pistol option, only plasma. I hope to be mistaken, or that there is an upcoming close-combat upgrade planned for Despoilers & Assault squads.

Special weapons might also be missing now that I think about it.

From the phrasing on the Warcom article it seems that there's no special or heavy weapons (dissapointing but sort of understandable) but the sergeant only gets a plasma pistol and then a power sword, fist or lightning claw (with no bolt bistol, chainsword, bolter or combi-weapon option, which is both frustrating and perplexing). 

Alternative is that the kit has more options and the article is just poorly phrased (also possible) 

Yeah, until we see the sprues I'm holding off too much judgement. Lack of Bolt Pistol and Chainsword seems very odd.

Agreed, having just checked them out - I couldn't help but notice the bland poses.  I mean they look good, but the posing is more akin to a stable MkIII unit that's chilling and walking forward, not lighter armour in the thick of battle.  I do hope there's a special weapon in there somewhere.

Yeah i dont mind grabbing a quick pic of a Datasheet but i dont personally have the time to fish out all the special rules if they arent on the sheet, good work on filling in the blanks though SkimaskMohawk

As i mentioned in the cinematic thread up in N&R it does currently look a bit crap that the Mk6 is missing loads of options but its a fairly awful article past showing some specific examples so for all we know theyve got plenty of options. Of course some people love getting a worse deal *eyeroll* 

Outside of deep striking terminators, jump packs, or jetbikes, I don’t see a way for pods to be OP with charging from DS. Dreadclaw lost assault vehicle, and Kharybdis has it, but the core rules won’t let you disembark the unit the turn it comes down in to assault.

I’m going to try and build a SoH list around pinning weapons to let my DS Justaerin assault without taking an enemy reaction.

My initial take from 2.0 revolves around leadership checks, using reactions, DS/outflank assaults, and weight over quality of attacks. There is a noted absence of AP3 or AP2 blast weapons outside of super heavies, which means 3+ saves confers a lot of on paper survivability. Shred on chain weapons makes sense now to push through weight of attacks.

2 20 man tactical squads with Apothecaries are going to be extremely beefy to get through now in the shooting phase.

I mean ya, the pod stuff is still for shooting units, or maybe anchoring your deepstrike assault as they can't mishap with the scatter (throwback to the homing beacon of 5th).

And even the basic troops aren't too lethal coming out of reserves; you're looking at weight of attacks with the odd power weapon. But some legions can do some very nasty things out of reserve. Blood angels, night lords and world eaters can just juice their jump units up with better offence, and all of them have elite jump units. Fists, sons of horus and night lords get deepstriking terminators (and more for fists). Raven guard, night lords, Emperor's children, wolves, and scars can get a lot of outflankers with some serious weapons. I guess I forgot the word bearers who get in on the deepstrike action too, and the alpha legion that can just steal the units they need lol.

Really, unless you're playing iron warriors, iron hands, Ultramarines, or salamanders you can get in on the reserves action with juicy units.

A little surprised that the MKVI kit doesn't appear to have weapon options but I have been considering 20 man bolter-blobs anyway. Plus I have a tonne of spare special weapons in my bits box if I decide to do some support squads.

No skin off my nose but I can see why it might be frustrating for some.

IF you want massed S5 Ap4 (lost 1 point of strength from before), iirc, shooting all game then Combi-Grenades are going to be real useful. Combi-Flamers also being unlimited use alongside Grenade, and Volkite is nice. Also having the option for massed Frag Grenade shots is going to be useful for just forcing a massed amounts of hits/wounds/saves onto units that are clumped up and just forcing pinning checks on units.

Combi-Disintegrators are new and do give you access to ranged instant death at S5 Ap2 but with a gets hot risk; and since gets hot is resolved at the weapons Ap, the shooter has a chance of potentially just poofing into the air when shooting. Since it has blanket ID, it does mean it turns to D3 wounds vs dreads and robots and does negate any rules that might make a unit harder to ID via toughness or reducing the strength of incoming shots. (Unless Im misremembering its profile).

Combi-Melta and Plasma are what they are but I feel like Combi-Melta will overtake plasma in general usage. 

Shame about the loss of S6 on Krak Grenades from the combi since that was a sleeper hit of a unit when you had them en masse. A unit of Vets with Combi-Grenades and 2x Heavy Bolters (Heavy 4 now) can just vomit out 16 S5 Ap4 shots at 24" which will be pretty nice to have against armies like Imperial Army who are likely to have 4+ saves or worse and blobs of Thallax who are T5 4+ if Im not mistaken.

Still feel Combi-Volikite will only really be taken for rule of cool since units like Vets and Termies that might want to have an assault weapon so they can shoot and still charge have Relentless so eh.

Edited by Slips

A little surprised that the MKVI kit doesn't appear to have weapon options but I have been considering 20 man bolter-blobs anyway. Plus I have a tonne of spare special weapons in my bits box if I decide to do some support squads.

I can see them not providing any special/heavy weaponif if it acts as a regular tact squad but I refuse to believe that there is no bolt pistol and chainsword for the sarge...

I don't really need anything but bolters - I'm just gonna slap some scopes on and turn them into Seekers - but it'd definitely be frustrating if you wanted some more leeway. 

I can see them not providing any special/heavy weaponif if it acts as a regular tact squad but I refuse to believe that there is no bolt pistol and chainsword for the sarge...

I don't really need anything but bolters - I'm just gonna slap some scopes on and turn them into Seekers - but it'd definitely be frustrating if you wanted some more leeway. 

Hopefully this line in the rulebook is not a direct reference to the kit. :P

For example, if you need a bolt pistol for a Tactical Squad Sergeant, you are likely to have one already that fits in your collection.

*...looks down in the bits box of all the leftover heavy bolters and special weapons from the Mk III & IV boxes*

Yeah, I'll be fine even if the box doesn't include any special weapons...

Looking forward to seeing what kinds of accessories the box has to put on the waist of the MkVI marines though. They look different from the bog-standard small or large boxy bags the other kits have come with.

@slips, you can shoot both parts of a combi now, and don't need during protocols to do either. So a combi volkite gives you 4 shots at close range and kind of gives the highest strength+weight of fire combo.

Really feel like all the minor weapons are super useful.

Kind of funny the salamanders are stuck with the normal flamer for their combis though.

@slips, you can shoot both parts of a combi now, and don't need during protocols to do either. So a combi volkite gives you 4 shots at close range and kind of gives the highest strength+weight of fire combo.

Really feel like all the minor weapons are super useful.

Kind of funny the salamanders are stuck with the normal flamer for their combis though.

AH, I missed that we got 8th ed style combis, nice. Makes the minors even better then.