State of the Union (Heresy)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Creeping Death is better now and a lot more thematic for it. 

• ALL area terrain (craters, ruins, etc not just forests) is now Dangerous Terrain, but the Detachment are immune.
  • 6+ Shrouded when in your deployment zone.
  • Entire deployment zone counts as Difficult/Dangerous Terrain.
  • Grave Wardens are non-Compulsory Troops.
  • Still have to take a Siege Breaker.
  • Attacker-requirement gone.
  • Grenade/missile strength bonus gone.
  • Still Traitor-only.

The Reaping is probably still going to get taken more, but at least War Crime Enjoyers have other options now.

Edited by Lord Marshal

I did that unit but used serpentas instead of combi volkite, saved a 50% the cost of the guns. Didn't do the forge lord tho.

Did anyone see the WB rules for 2.0? I remember seeing them but can't remember if they've still got the extra character tax. There's a fairly cool Brethren of Iron + Daemons option out there.

Three dice for leadership test, no tax.
It's actually any double on a roll for a LD test is insane heroism. They're rather hard to affect with LD stuff, and there's a lot of it now in 2nd.

No base character tax (every legion lost its core downside).

Awesome. Thanks chaps.

So I can totally field a Brethren of Iron list, then have a Praetor and a Esoterist as the secondary characters.

Robots, marines and demons oh my!

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Creeping Death is better now and a lot more thematic for it.

• ALL area terrain (craters, ruins, etc not just forests) is now Dangerous Terrain, but the Detachment are immune.
  • Still Traitor-only.
The Reaping is probably still going to get taken more, but at least War Crime Enjoyers have other options now.
I thought so as well. Reaping is very bad now I think because only units with a proper rule score at all which makes is less appealing but creeping death is great. We ignore all the terrain while the enemy not. It's a big buff I guess.

What do you all think is the best 2.0 unit (generic) for eliminating tactical squads now?

Other than a demolisher cannon or arcus launcher, I don’t see much in the way of ranged AP3 en masse. I’m trying to find a good way to remove line-subtype units to reduce my opponent’s scoring abilities.

Melee units with swords seems much more viable considering the same above.

What do you all think is the best 2.0 unit (generic) for eliminating tactical squads now?

Other than a demolisher cannon or arcus launcher, I don’t see much in the way of ranged AP3 en masse. I’m trying to find a good way to remove line-subtype units to reduce my opponent’s scoring abilities.

Scorpius? Or potentially some of the new Predator options? Unsure on AP values as I don’t have the full PDF

Scorpius? Or potentially some of the new Predator options? Unsure on AP values as I don’t have the full PDF

Scorpius is S8 AP4 large blast now, rocket barrage. Definitely can put out the hate, but if you’re like me, you play against guys that can roll 3’s like no tomorrow :P

I’m thinking about running double Omegas now. I took a look at Morbus with phosphex, but that requires a siege breaker, and makes it a 245 point model with small blast at 24” :/

Plasma is also still a good option. It's still AP2 50% of the time, it's still strength 7, and is much cheaper than it used to be.

Scorpius is pretty unreliable.

Phosphex quads still eat through 3+ armour. It's also a great choice on the arquitor for killing 2+ armour, but all versions are now only 3" blasts, and the two I mentioned only have a 24" range. 

The arcus is quite good, but is expensive.

HSS is 225 for 10 missiles. 

Leviathan still eats through even 2+ armour at about the same cost.

I could go on, but a lot of ap 3 shooting can get kind of expensive considering the target. The most efficient way is usually melee  tbh.

Just bear in mind that Dangerous Terrain now inflicts an ap2 wound with no damage mitigation or cover saves allowed. So being able to ignore it is quite a strong buff!

• Still Traitor-only.
I thought so as well. Reaping is very bad now I think because only units with a proper rule score at all which makes is less appealing but creeping death is great. We ignore all the terrain while the enemy not. It's a big buff I guess.
Edited by Augusta_Vespa

Scorpius is S8 AP4 large blast now, rocket barrage. Definitely can put out the hate, but if you’re like me, you play against guys that can roll 3’s like no tomorrow :tongue.:

I’m thinking about running double Omegas now. I took a look at Morbus with phosphex, but that requires a siege breaker, and makes it a 245 point model with small blast at 24” :/

Scorpius AP3 makes me sad. I know it's there is balance and whatnot, but it wouldn't have killed to let it have AP3 when it's first lore was built around how it's missiles were meant to pierce power armor.

It’s not AP3, it’s Ap4......but it has the rule rocket barrage. Essentially if it remains stationary it gains rending 4+ and pinning. I think that’s still worth a look, given the value of pinning in suppressing reactions. Might even have a role in anti TEQ as well.

Still can’t believe how much they’ve nerfed the demo cannon. Vindicators used to be such a good psychological weapon, I just can’t even see an application for them now, maybe AT?!

Cadmus

• Still Traitor-only.

I think The Reaping still has some play if you're wanting to bring a lot of the congested Heavy Support slots, since Death Guard being able to move and fire Heavy is extremely strong when suddenly those x9 BS5 (with Cognis) Lascannons can move, fire and also make Reactions. 

Artillery and big ordinance got gimped a bit hard in the v3 playtest. Cross your fingers for usable vindicators in what went to print :smile.:

time to add few laser barrels inside this cannon and call it laser destroyer vindicators...these ones actually do something.

Has a test game of 2.0. Few thoughts:

- Night fighting is brutal and completely invalidates long range shooting, collectively we killed 3 tactical marines in two turns of shooting. So my extra armour tax will now be replaced by a searchlight tax and augery scanners are now a default choice as they ignore the night fight and provide interceptor spam.

- dreads doing ID at S10 makes them unintentionally powerful vs 2 wound models as they double their combat resolution. They also can be breached which feels wrong.

- reactions completely dominated the game. Instead of making it faster, it as way slower as we constantly had to consider moves. It was only 1.5k so maybe it didn't scale well. It also completely neutered bolt pistols as any use of them would result in volkite to the face again.

- being able to shoot three times in your opponents turn is stupid.(interceptor, react to shooting, overwatch)

I like the AP changes. I like the dread changes. I like the fact that my powerfist Sargents never got to swing as every other weapon cut them down.

I don't like reactions at all and they feel very abusable.

Edited by Mogsam

Scorpius AP3 makes me sad. I know it's there is balance and whatnot, but it wouldn't have killed to let it have AP3 when it's first lore was built around how it's missiles were meant to pierce power armor.

The Scorpius' lore in Book 2, where it was introduced, mentions nothing of the sort.

True, but the second edition of "Imperial Armor Volume 2: War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes" does, which was published the same year if I'm not mistaken.

It's presented as a legend that arose from millenia of mysticism of course, but the artwork descriptions do present it as weapon meant to take on armored infantry such as Ork Nobz.

Not really sure why they made some LoW so weak...I mean, glaive already wasn't all that great but now ap3 beam, which that sargent can tank easily, now you even have to consider positioning even more because building, vehicle, 6wound model will just stop it dead. And you are expected to pay 700pts for that,lol...like seriously, trying to find reason to ever take it, but now I think I will just mount 2 barrels and call it fellblade, which is also bad, but at least might do a bit more dmg to larger variety of targets and is cheaper.
At the same time predator happily driving around with s8 ap1 5" pie plate,lol

Mastadon remains to be overpriced transport with petty firepower for it's cost. 

Typhoon is not worth even mentioning,lol...at least cerberus is not complete crap any more. But they lost LoW status and are weaker to melta, so there is that, they can go poof from single melta shot.

Has a test game of 2.0. Few thoughts:

- Night fighting is brutal and completely invalidates long range shooting, collectively we killed 3 tactical marines in two turns of shooting. So my extra armour tax will now be replaced by a searchlight tax and augery scanners are now a default choice as they ignore the night fight and provide interceptor spam.

- dreads doing ID at S10 makes them unintentionally powerful vs 2 wound models as they double their combat resolution. They also can be breached which feels wrong.

- reactions completely dominated the game. Instead of making it faster, it as way slower as we constantly had to consider moves. It was only 1.5k so maybe it didn't scale well. It also completely neutered bolt pistols as any use of them would result in volkite to the face again.

- being able to shoot three times in your opponents turn is stupid.(interceptor, react to shooting, overwatch)

I like the AP changes. I like the dread changes. I like the fact that my powerfist Sargents never got to swing as every other weapon cut them down.

I don't like reactions at all and they feel very abusable.

This is what I feared most