State of the Union (Heresy)

I would bet money the reason Anuj left was because of the poor pay. Even the video game business, which traditionally pays poorly, pays better than GW. Their designers make around 30k a year, hardly a living wage

Where in the world is 30k a year not a living wage?! Like, 2 places? You could probably buy a few territories outright with 30k!
Depends on where you live. In my city, the living wage calculator puts it about ~36000CAD a year. So 30k isn't a living wage.

30k GBP to CAD is 47.5k. As someone on 15k a year, I'd love to earn 30k a year. Still won't be able to afford anything, but the number would be nice.

Obviously 30000gbp surpasses the living wage of most areas, so double obviously it wouldn't make sense to refer it as "hardly a living wage".

Starting Salary for DevQA at the studio Im with right now is 40kCAD so yeah, GW devs being paid less is big yikes.

Starting salary on the tooling side of the game industry was like 60k USD, which was pretty good especially for where we were located.

* For a dev

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Prior to the studio removing the wages on job listings during COVID-19, they averaged out between £23,000 to £27,000 for entry positions in Nottingham. Those wages are above and beyond those of other miniature companies both in the UK and outside of it. Given the wage average in the UK is dragged up by cities like London and Birmingham and generally tends to sit anywhere from £17,000 to £21,000 for most of the country that's... pretty decent, external factors aside.

Wages should honestly be better full stop, however the greater concern is wider living expenses.

30k in GBP seems...not great? Granted I was visiting London, but everything felt so expensive when I visited the UK! I'm from the USA (Florida). Being the lead developer for a rule set for a company that makes hundreds of millions and only making 30k seems kinda terrible. Edited by Marshall Mittens

They did raise the Writers wages a couple of years back i had heard, but its still not a job you do for the money, like 99% of creative roles they rely on applicants really really wanting the job and being easily replaceable to keep the wages a bit lower than they probably deserve, but thats why like i said earlier, so many jump ship so other industries looking for those talents where they get more money once they feel theyve made a mark, or feel the pinch, or many other reasons. I mean nearly every other GW games developer you can name that didnt just retire has done it in some capacity! 

And good for them, better they keep doing work they enjoy than switch over to a hateful customer service job or something to makes ends meet. *grumble* 

I keep thinking about it and I don't think the Launch Box is right for me.

I'm not after loads of MkVI or Cataphractii armour and already have three Contemptors (enough for now). Yeah the Spartan is cool but I'm not working on armour yet as I still want (at least under 1st Edition) a Drop Pod force (which to be fair I've got everything for barring one Dreadclaw now but things may well change new edition).

Which kind of makes me glad. If there's some cool collectible stuff in the box I'll be able to grab from splitters.

Right now I'm interested in the rules and that's pretty much it purchase wise (I suppose if they release a Dreadclaw or Kharbydis in plastic I'd jump in although I'm sure they'd still be a nightmare, I hate the plastic drop pods).

I note a ready supply of Mk3 from GW and retailers, but have struggled finding any Mk4, or Cataphractii/Tartaros.

Welcome! My prediction is (unboxed) cataphractii will be available for a good price soon because it’s the one thing in the new box that isn’t new, so box splitters will want to shift them.

I want Tartaros though…

Thank you brother. And yes good point re: cataphractii, a bit too slow & heavy for EC though. 

I keep thinking about it and I don't think the Launch Box is right for me.

I'm not after loads of MkVI or Cataphractii armour and already have three Contemptors (enough for now). Yeah the Spartan is cool but I'm not working on armour yet as I still want (at least under 1st Edition) a Drop Pod force (which to be fair I've got everything for barring one Dreadclaw now but things may well change new edition).

Which kind of makes me glad. If there's some cool collectible stuff in the box I'll be able to grab from splitters.

Right now I'm interested in the rules and that's pretty much it purchase wise (I suppose if they release a Dreadclaw or Kharbydis in plastic I'd jump in although I'm sure they'd still be a nightmare, I hate the plastic drop pods).

Yeah I am thinking I might pick up one squad of VIs to run as a veteran tactical squad. Plastic Dreadclaw would be awesome.

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Sorry putting in spoilers:

I’m not sure about the angle of those shoulder mounted missile launchers - I think that was a tricky compromise using the base sprue with upgrade. But I heartily approve of upgrade sprues being available soon - lots of potential here. I quite like the tank - I tend not to buy very big models, I would never get a Baneblade for example - so something a little smaller but still a centrepiece will suit some people.
Edited by LameBeard

It's not really getting my hype levels up for some reason. Nothing that wasn't rumoured/guessed at, I suppose.

I hope GW has something else up their sleeve for Saturday. Not expecting anything more but I want some sort of Heresy buzz for my weekend.

Anyway, thanks for sharing TrawlingCleaner and for putting them in spoiler tags - that was very considerate for those wanting a surprise.

I'm not really after being surprised personally, I was after basic stuff being addressed, so it's good for me.

On a side note

Separate weapon kits look to be on the basic troops, so you can have a field day with the ones from the box if you wait a little bit.
Edited by WrathOfTheLion

It's not really getting my hype levels up for some reason. Nothing that wasn't rumoured/guessed at, I suppose.

I hope GW has something else up their sleeve for Saturday. Not expecting anything more but I want some sort of Heresy buzz for my weekend.

Anyway, thanks for sharing TrawlingCleaner and for putting them in spoiler tags - that was very considerate for those wanting a surprise.

Not everyone wants to have the Stream spoiled and have been looking forward to or set time aside for it, I'd rather not knock that! :sweat:

I can see why you've not got the hype levels, as you say it's all stuff we kind of knew was coming. As mundane as it is, the most exciting part for me is the plastic Deimos Rhino. I do love those circle doors! :wub:

I have a pretty good feeling there's more they've not put in preview packets or out on display, I imagine they're very keen on getting the Core of the range out in a timely fashion. If they are making an upgrade sprue for weapons teams, I wonder what else they might upgrade sprues for :thumbsup:

Yeah, getting home to watch the recorded stream has been a highlight of the past two days. I'm really hyped for today and tomorrow, because I love Kill-Team, Warcry, and Heresy.

Sadly, tommorow won't have a stream though...

It's a "walk in" event, so all we will likely see are pictures on the warhammer community website throughout the day

Yeah, getting home to watch the recorded stream has been a highlight of the past two days. I'm really hyped for today and tomorrow, because I love Kill-Team, Warcry, and Heresy.

Sadly, tommorow won't have a stream though...

It's a "walk in" event, so all we will likely see are pictures on the warhammer community website throughout the day

It looks to still be a stream, just at 10AM BST instead of the 5PM BST it's been so far this week:

PZZcC5DXhRAY1GwZ.jpg

I'm sure not everyone will want to see this and be spoiled for the preview tomorrow, however I've just spotted these on Instagram:

Oh boy is that a lot of plastics

0Fk4rHW.png?1

bhnzzFu.png?1

WTDBT8e.png?1

h5AxSSe.png?1

Mzr37PA.png

Mayhaps the HB's would look better in little turrets, rather than as quasi-sponsons, if they're in that position. Like the Vickers Independent.

I do think the best bet would be as a twin-HB turret on the front hull, instead of the right, smaller cupola area. Like a baneblade/fellblade has. "Evolution of design philosophy" as the tanks went onwards, as it were. If I remember the scant fluff tidbits well enough, wasn't the tank a crusade-era thing? Would make sense to have the Fells and banes be a "perfection" of "HB turret design" as it were.

Either way, Kratos is looking like the "light and fast" superheavy to fit my Lunas army-list criteria either way as a LoW other than Horus.

Edited by Dark Legionnare