State of the Union (Heresy)

Word on the street is that the leaker of those pix above, a youtuber, got booted from the event. RIP to a real one

Guess if true, it'll be easy enough to work out by who doesn't feature in the content that comes out from tomorrow? Really weird behaviour from someone who presumably relies on GW related content to make money.

Word on the street is that the leaker of those pix above, a youtuber, got booted from the event. RIP to a real one

Guess if true, it'll be easy enough to work out by who doesn't feature in the content that comes out from tomorrow? Really weird behaviour from someone who presumably relies on GW related content to make money.
It was Scott Walter or Miniac as his YouTube is called. Edited by Waaagh?

It was Scott Walter or Miniac as his YouTube is called.

Why do you say that? Miniac is US based and haven't seen anything on their social media about coming over for this?

It was Scott Walter or Miniac as his YouTube is called.

Why do you say that? Miniac is US based and haven't seen anything on their social media about coming over for this?
He is, plenty of pictures on insta. Edited by Waaagh?

Eh, quite a few of the most popular hobby youtubers are disliked by GW, this weekend sound like a rare nice outreach by them, they have previously been a bit sporadic in support apparently, though it does seem like theyve been better at sending out pre release minis too for people to paint. I guess someone at GW believes in influencers now :D 

It's kind of funny because both content creators and GW are notoriously self-interested when it comes to advancing their business interests.

Like GW's whole reveal strategy is to keep people in the dark so they can't plan around releases. It's incredibly consumer unfriendly, and amusing to see it upended by people they tried to use as reduced cost advertising.

Had never heard of this guy before. Googled him because of this, not my style of content.

On one hand it's neat to see the minis a few days earlier.

On the other, I can't get them any sooner, and GW is obviously trying to make this a big and really cool event for the launch of Horus Heresy as core game line, and it is a bit of a :cuss move to go there and leak most of the new stuff early, especially when they paid his way. Seems like it would make it less likely that they will invite the community in to their events in the future.

Off topic, none of the guys I watch a lot seem to be going. This miniac guy doesn't even seem 40k specific from the 5 minutes I spent looking at his youtube?? Why no Auspex Tactics or Valrak or the like?

Off topic, none of the guys I watch a lot seem to be going. This miniac guy doesn't even seem 40k specific from the 5 minutes I spent looking at his youtube?? Why no Auspex Tactics or Valrak or the like?

Valrak is very much in GWs bad books, I would be surprised if Auspex tactics isnt either given how well they cover leaks. Thats what i mean, and what Skimask is hinting at too, most of the time GW and Influencers interests are fairly opposed, its a fairly recent change to bring them on board, and unprecedented to fly them in a few days early, show them around and prominently feature them in an open day! 

So really, its not exactly unlikely GW goes back to hating youtubers regardless of what they get up to a year or two from now, so maybe the leak clout is worth it *shrug* Its not my industry, i wrote for a youtube channel for a bit and the clicks really are 90% of their business.

Had never heard of this guy before. Googled him because of this, not my style of content.

On the other, I can't get them any sooner, and GW is obviously trying to make this a big and really cool event for the launch of Horus Heresy as core game line, and it is a bit of a :cuss move to go there and leak most of the new stuff early, especially when they paid his way. Seems like it would make it less likely that they will invite the community in to their events in the future.

This is my biggest issue with the event if I’m honest. They haven’t invited anyone who has been a big proponent of heresy to it. I understand why channels like the outer circle weren’t invited but what about Lil Legend studio? Myles is known as a heresy commission painter and his entire YouTube/patreon is based on painting heresy. Why aren’t people like him invited? People who have kept the hobby/game support going

On the other, I can't get them any sooner, and GW is obviously trying to make this a big and really cool event for the launch of Horus Heresy as core game line, and it is a bit of a :censored: move to go there and leak most of the new stuff early, especially when they paid his way. Seems like it would make it less likely that they will invite the community in to their events in the future.

This is my biggest issue with the event if I’m honest. They haven’t invited anyone who has been a big proponent of heresy to it. I understand why channels like the outer circle weren’t invited but what about Lil Legend studio? Myles is known as a heresy commission painter and his entire YouTube/patreon is based on painting heresy. Why aren’t people like him invited? People who have kept the hobby/game support going

BEcause people like us, Lil Legend and others already making stuff in the 30k space have already bought in for the most part.

What they really want is to get new, fresh eyes in on the product/game. Ergo, invite people who normally don't hobby or play 30k and hopefully snag some people in their audience.

Myles also isn't the most personable compared to other high end painters that they give early access to, like Richard grey or Juan Hidalgo.

The latter you can ask why they decided on things and they'll give a nice answer and laugh about any mistakes that might have led to the end product. Myles, unfortunately, gets super defensive.

The point being, you want people who have broad appeal and reach when you're using them as relays for your event.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

On the other, I can't get them any sooner, and GW is obviously trying to make this a big and really cool event for the launch of Horus Heresy as core game line, and it is a bit of a :censored: move to go there and leak most of the new stuff early, especially when they paid his way. Seems like it would make it less likely that they will invite the community in to their events in the future.

Because GW is isn't trying to sell the Heresy to people already invested because they know they'll likely stay invested, but rather cast a wider net farther out to people in the wider wargaming community.

What you guys are saying is bang on, not saying it's right, wrong, good or bad, it's simply correct.

GW's target customer used to be kids 11-18, get them in, get them hooked, get them (or their parents) to spend about a grand at a GW store.

Rinse and repeat.

Don't know if it still applies as the demographic of the customer base seems to be getting older.

Key point is we're already slaves to darkness, but the dark gods need fresh souls to be happy...

Edited by Warsmith Klegane

What you guys are saying is bang on, not saying it's right, wrong, good or bad, it's simply correct.

GW's target customer used to be kids 11-18, get them in, get them hooked, get them (or their parents) to spend about a grand at a GW store.

Rinse and repeat.

Don't know if it still applies as the demographic of the customer base seems to be getting older.

Key point is we're already slaves to darkness, but the dark gods need fresh souls to be happy...

That's just business in general. Like I don't fault GW for trying to get more people into the game because that's how a game survives. We've witnessed what happens when a game's community dies off with WFB after all.