State of the Union (Heresy)

Anyone else feeling somewhat torn up about this new HH edition? I am nothing but excited for it, I appreciate the setting and style of games of WH30k/HH so much more than WH40k.. just don’t know what that means for how much I will actually be gaming with all the 40k collection I’ve got.

I hope the game is well received and HH sees the mainstream following I feel it deserves compared to 40k. I think the main thing we need to be concerns with is as a community how we can foster the gaming environment we want to participate in. I think the veterans can set the tone for the new community that will be diving into this since GW is doing their best to market it at a prince point that will be good for new collectors/gamers

I thought FW had too, but I've not been able to find a sniff of evidence of forgeworld doing a Mark VI assault squad with jump packs. The mark VII rectangular pack doesn't really show up anywhere in heresy media, but that also means it's not officially 'wrong' either.

*snip*

Thanks again for the detailed post, lots to think about, appreciate it!

The current rules are perfectly fine pre-FAQ; there's just a handful of quirky issues that need ironing out, like the ability to transport fliers inside fliers and wound allocation on character units like Deathshroud. Had the play-testers actually done their job this would have been picked up on sooner rather than later. Christ, there's been more play-testing done on the Age of Darkness Discord as far as we can tell.

That said, they've been aware of the issues since the content went to print. Like virtually every company on the market, they've stepped in to FAQ them as need be. Better sooner™ rather than later. I vaguely recall hearing at the event that the missing 1E factions are also getting an FAQ to be usable in 2E whilst they wait for their respective books.

The rules aren't currently fine. As written currently, wound allocation breaks when it comes to ICs. They can juggle wounds on and off regardless of circumstances, and ignore targetting abilities like precision strikes, sniper, and challenges.

That's a really big thing, because everyone loves their characters and puts them in high impact units; the units get shot at, they have to interact with wound allocation mechanics, and then run into the current rules. It's almost a return to the start of 6th where you could look out sir after failing a save; at least now the duders have to rely on their own armour.

They could also implement something to eliminate key-holing to snipe out important models. Though again, raw the IC wound allocation lets you pass them out of los.

Re: jump packs

Honestly use the box packs from 40k. They fit in fine with the aesthetic, and the lack of generic mk6 units with packs leaves it open as the previous post mentioned. They also do a great job at being different, as few people use them in heresy.

I would recommend the Raven guard ones off the dark fury, except they look really weird without some sort of wing attachment, and theyre now a bespoke, special pack in 2nd.

Fun note about night lord stuff; all their unique things are clean raptor gear. Really lets you match with that range nicely.

That's an interesting thought about the dark fury packs, given they are of course also Mark VI. The wings are obviously very raven guardy, but it's kinda one old big raptor engine underneath; or a mark IV with a bigger intake.

Rather tempted to use these 3d print ones for my world eaters in mark VI now.

headhunter_pack1.jpg

Or there's the loyalist version...

praetor6.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Fulkes.

That video has shown me that the beakies look better in every other Legion colour scheme than the Fists and SoH. Opinion, of course, but it looks like GW have picked the two least suitable schemes to demo their products. :)

I had 90% decided on Alpha Legion but after seeing some of those I am back to the drawing-board.

Edited by Corswain

Thanks for sharing, Fulkes.

That video has shown me that the beakies look better in every other Legion colour scheme than the Fists and SoH. Opinion, of course, but it looks like GW have picked the two least suitable schemes to demo their products. :smile.:

I had 90% decided on Alpha Legion but after seeing some of those I am back to the drawing-board.

I mean there are some Imperial Fists painted up by others at the event that looked pretty good:

4G6lVm7.jpg

(top image source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdQcJeRtNDb/ )

suxV3t5.jpg

This one was painted by the GW team and looks pretty good, brown base rim aside)

Edited by Fulkes

I mean there are some Imperial Fists painted up by others at the event that looked pretty good

Those definitely look better but they're still not hitting the mark for me.

It's not that I think they look bad, per say, they just don't look as good as the Blood Angels or White Scars ones, for example.

Word Bearers and World Eaters are the two stand-outs for me. The bunny-ear World Eaters really surprised me actually. Didn't think they'd work.

Edited by Corswain

Looks like dreads lost 1 wound. Still not sure that's enough without additional tweaks to things like melta bombs

I imagine the meta will be somewhat influenced by the starter set and new plastics, so lots of Spartans with 8 to 10 laser cannons. Lots of 10 man cataphractii termies with power fists. I imagine life will be dangerous for dreads, to a degree.

The axe praetor is really coming out strong to me, liking it more as time goes on.

The other one needs some work, but has promise.

Yeah, pretty much seeing the same thing.  I liked it more the moment I saw it painted in other legion colours.  Whilst the beakie head is still a bit odd to me on such bulky armour, the overall model is becoming more likable.  Now to see it with a MkIII head or MkIV maybe.

Looks like dreads lost 1 wound. Still not sure that's enough without additional tweaks to things like melta bombs

I imagine the meta will be somewhat influenced by the starter set and new plastics, so lots of Spartans with 8 to 10 laser cannons. Lots of 10 man cataphractii termies with power fists. I imagine life will be dangerous for dreads, to a degree.

I think for new people basing their armies off of the boxed set, yeah, to an extent. But for some of us who were already equipped to be able to deal with Spartans in 1-2 turns it'll be a different ball game.

The main adjustment period will be people learning how to efficiently nuke Contemptors, Deredeos and Leviathans under their new profiles and stats.

Eiither I didn't notice or forgot it, so gonna kindly ask - when will all that revelealed stuff become available to buy / preorder?

Were there any more official dates announced recently? I only remember some vague leaks claiming June for the big box and the rest just slowly dribbling each month. Anything would corroborate this after the event?

Eiither I didn't notice or forgot it, so gonna kindly ask - when will all that revelealed stuff become available to buy / preorder?

Were there any more official dates announced recently? I only remember some vague leaks claiming June for the big box and the rest just slowly dribbling each month. Anything would corroborate this after the event?

I think they directly said June on the live stream for the box set. I don't see it in the articles, but I distinctly remember them saying that when they talked about the price (under £200/$300).

Some of the kits might be available a bit afterwards, but I figure not far after.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Reference sheet from the open day, I haven't seen it anywhere here. It seems like the psychic phase is gone, and the spells have their own perils...sounds interesting. I might have to start up my Thousand Sons project again...

279648105_5068216679932881_4387717917116

279195743_1126660478124549_3041258196391

279763405_880411613358213_58335597709513

279529059_543586107280619_83002933388370

Reference sheet from the open day, I haven't seen it anywhere here. It seems like the psychic phase is gone, and the spells have their own perils...sounds interesting. I might have to start up my Thousand Sons project again...

Maybe we agree and I am just misinterpreting you, but I take this not to mean there are different flavours of Perils, but rather that Perils trigger under different circumstances but have the same effect.

Maybe we agree and I am just misinterpreting you, but I take this not to mean there are different flavours of Perils, but rather that Perils trigger under different circumstances but have the same effect.

Yes we agree. It has nothing to do with your interpretation of my text though, but with my very sloppy writing! :) I meant to say that they have their own ways of getting perils, since it says it's a failed leadership test for most spells. 

Lol that reference sheet pic just resulted in a whole conversation getting deleted by the admins on crusade and heresy. They're really losing their stuff over there. Only some early pics of the rules are allowed and don't spoil the head admin. Or something.

As for the psychic phase/perils. There's no more phase, and far fewer powers. Each discipline gives you a weapon and a power. The weapons are either used in the shooting or melee phase and need a LD test to activate (similar to 5th and earlier). The actual powers go off at varying times, and most don't actually need a test to activate; making them stronger does require a test. For example, telekine some is used your movement phase instead of moving, and projects a 6+ invul bubble for as long as the psyker stays still. But, he can juice it with a test for a 4++ instead.

Perils happens when you fail a test. The unit takes d3 wounds with no armour or damage mitigation allowed. This means you get invuls, and the psyker model doesn't have to take the wounds; it can arc off to the squad.

Quick question regarding deredeos, Aiolos and Boreas missiles have lost independent tracking. Any thoughts on how that works!? Either the deredeo fires all weapons at a target in LoS (in which case the secondary weapons systems don’t synergise well with the primary, unless you’re targeting flyers) or you fire the Aiolos alone at a target out of LoS.

That significantly changes the Deredeos battlefield role IMHO, or is there something I’m missing?

Any thoughts?

Cadmus