State of the Union (Heresy)

b5yBjsHBHN87fu1N.jpg

So if I'm reading this right, that means EC's hit with unwieldy weapons at I2 on the charge, since the initiative improvement happens after modifiers. That's a substantial buff!

Looking back over the Phase 1 Playtest doc, this rules only change is that it takes effect even if the unit has made a disordered charge where previously it would get turned off.

Wrong: they also added the provision "after any Initiative modifiers from other special rules have been taken into account", as well as the provision that the defensive weapon bonus only occurs as part of a reaction.

Absolutely massive changes for EC. Their trait working even if the charge was disordered is good and puts them in line with other Legions, e.g. BA/WE. But being able to hit with power fists before others is simply colossal. Really excited to put this to use!

edit: the power fist changes really make me want to create a Terminator unit inspired by this art...

FshrWuz.png

Ah! Skill unmatched had a baked in qualifier to let the +1 I stack, and I totally blanked when I read the updated version this morning.

Really good stuff, really gives them the edge in the terminator-off that I continuously say 2nd is going to turn into.

One thing that may slow that down is if the final book ends up with terminators costing 250pts, like they did in the preview copies of the rules they had at the open day last weekend.

They're 175 right now base; even going to 250 base would make them worth it with the double wounds, improved cataphractii, and neutered counters. They're currently at 150 base in phase 3, so we'll see how it shakes out in the end.

Quick question on the topic of terminators. Are power weapons still the base weapon or do you think power fist will be standard like the plastic kits? I see the forge world Tartaros power axe set no longer available. Sad face. Edited by LameBeard

Quick question on the topic of terminators. Are power weapons still the base weapon or do you think power fist will be standard like the plastic kits? I see the forge world Tartaros power axe set no longer available. Sad face.

In phase 3 it's 150 base for power weapon+combi bolter. Fists are an upgrade.

And the axes are still available in Canada.

They're still available in the US as well. Would love to see some plastic upgrade sprues for Tartaros/Cataphractii though, that would be a good move.

Makes me wish they'd just do that for Chaos Terminators in 40k instead of waffling around with its minuscule options.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

They're still available in the US as well. Would love to see some plastic upgrade sprues for Tartaros/Cataphractii though, that would be a good move.

Makes me wish they'd just do that for Chaos Terminators in 40k instead of waffling around with its minuscule options.

I literally just wanted to ask that, whether terminator upgrades would come too. After the special weapon sprue set that lets you cover tacticals/devastators/veterans/heavysupport/etc something for the terminators seems like it would be nice

There’s something about the Mk6 and Iron Warriors; I think I need to see a heavily weathered version or a darker tone. It looks too much like a “We’re ready to crusade!” or fresh or something I can’t quite put my finger on.

I'm on the opposite side today; it's not bad, but it's not in the realm of "really simple and clean" like the EC or the DA.

The hazard stripes are the culprit for a couple of reasons. The surface area they cover is very big, and they're now kind of overwhelming the composition. Theres not a lot of good spots to but them on the new mk6, as both the the shoulders and legs are pretty large, and the chest is covered in cabling. The second issue is that they're just...not painted the best. There's this phenomenon where straight lines on curved surfaces get this tapering towards the back, which is pretty much exclusive to fast attempts that don't get straightened out properly. Again, not too many places on mk6, as there's a lot of large, rounded areas. But, the bolter casing is an area that's both small and flat and would have worked well on part of it. Or the corner of the right shoulder.

But this is just me being particular to hazard stripes on iron warriors.

I'm on the opposite side today; it's not bad, but it's not in the realm of "really simple and clean" like the EC or the DA.

The hazard stripes are the culprit for a couple of reasons. The surface area they cover is very big, and they're now kind of overwhelming the composition. Theres not a lot of good spots to but them on the new mk6, as both the the shoulders and legs are pretty large, and the chest is covered in cabling. The second issue is that they're just...not painted the best. There's this phenomenon where straight lines on curved surfaces get this tapering towards the back, which is pretty much exclusive to fast attempts that don't get straightened out properly. Again, not too many places on mk6, as there's a lot of large, rounded areas. But, the bolter casing is an area that's both small and flat and would have worked well on part of it. Or the corner of the right shoulder.

But this is just me being particular to hazard stripes on iron warriors.

I get what you mean - I think it would have helped massively if the stripes has been weathered more than just the silver chipping

Wasn't a fan of the rust weathering, i guess thats just my brain thinking marine armour shouldn't rust

Again, not too many places on mk6, as there's a lot of large, rounded areas. But, the bolter casing is an area that's both small and flat and would have worked well on part of it. Or the corner of the right shoulder.

Yeah, I like putting my hazard stripes on the weapon casings and right shoulder pad, because I like to think they're a pragmatic choice for heresy era iron warriors - the right shoulder pad is the element your allies are most likely to see without your enemy seeing it (reducing friendly fire) and it's easier to find your weapons again if you dropped them in mud and gore.

Always having the same sort of surfaces also reduces the number of errors you'll make

@cyrox Im not opposed to rust, and funnily enough I used the exact same colour to represent dirt accumulation on mine. But, I think that a gold on the studs would have been a better accent colour, as it's a traditionally used for trim.

Rust streaks is just another area that's slightly advanced to get the "correct" pooling and streak. Better to swap it out for something else simple and easy to execute correctly.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

I have to say I'm enjoying these articles.

I like the tongue in cheek WHC style (although I do hope the HH remains "serious", well as serious as it can be based on the lore) and I have a (varying) fondness for most of the Legions.

Although obviously I'm looking most forward to the Sixth.

Yup, hazard stripes are best used on bolters mostly

I found that painting half a shoulder pad with hazards works pretty well.

The other half black, with a squad marking.

Also Wooo, liking the plastic Sicaran.