State of the Union (Heresy)

Stone Gauntlet making Phalanx Warders the only troop choice is a bit of low blow for everybody who has run it before and has had to build the two compulsory Breacher squads that are now pointless, suppose they will all be counts-as Warders from now on.

Indeed, seems a v odd choice, not sure why other than "sell more FW resin".

I am most of the way through painting my Stone Gauntlet breachers, so I will prolly just use them anyway, I am only going to be playing casually...

Weird move to not make the rulebook available for sale,

People who want just that , are now not able to get it, cause nobody is going to buy the entire boxset if they just want the rulebook.

No doubt there will be a number of books available on the second hand market when people buying multiple boxes put them up for sale.

People who want just that , are now not able to get it, cause nobody is going to buy the entire boxset if they just want the rulebook.

If the second wave is two weeks later, then you just get it a week after.

My guess on what is in wave 1 vs what is in wave 2 simply has to do with what items do they think they're going to have high volume orders of and need two weeks to get it sorted out.

Eh, something ive often done in the past is drop most of my rent on starter boxes and sell all the contents individually, including rule books, usually easily covers the cost of one for myself. This release is a bit close to rent day to pull that this time though! 

I'll be getting the box and will be painting half the force as Iron Hands and the other half as Sons of Horus. I'd like to run intro games using the models in there but I'm not sure what the best split would be to make an even game as the Spartan and Dread definitely aren't in the same ball park for output, I'm thinking:

Iron Hands:

Praetor

20 Marines

5 Terminators

Contemptor

SoH:

Praetor

20 Marines

5 Terminators

Spartan

Stacking 10 Terminators on one side doesn't seem particularly fair as they seem to be very tough. I'm not too sure so would appreciate input :sweat:

As beautiful as it is, I don’t think that Spartan is going to go in introductory games - it’s too many eggs in one tough basket. I suggest 5 terminators one side, contemptor the other, and leave 5 terminators and Spartan off the table to begin with. I guess the booklet in the box will have some other ideas.

I thought that might be the case, as you say it's definitely a bit overbearing in starting games! :sweat:

Grab another contemptor and make it roughly even. Spartan can wait on the bench for a bit. 

Stone Gauntlet making Phalanx Warders the only troop choice is a bit of low blow for everybody who has run it before and has had to build the two compulsory Breacher squads that are now pointless, suppose they will all be counts-as Warders from now on.

Does this seem to balance Stone Gauntlet?

I have heard nothing but how 'OP' it is

I'll be getting the box and will be painting half the force as Iron Hands and the other half as Sons of Horus. I'd like to run intro games using the models in there but I'm not sure what the best split would be to make an even game as the Spartan and Dread definitely aren't in the same ball park for output, I'm thinking:

Iron Hands:

Praetor

20 Marines

5 Terminators

Contemptor

SoH:

Praetor

20 Marines

5 Terminators

Spartan

Stacking 10 Terminators on one side doesn't seem particularly fair as they seem to be very tough. I'm not too sure so would appreciate input :sweat:

As beautiful as it is, I don’t think that Spartan is going to go in introductory games - it’s too many eggs in one tough basket. I suggest 5 terminators one side, contemptor the other, and leave 5 terminators and Spartan off the table to begin with. I guess the booklet in the box will have some other ideas.

I thought that might be the case, as you say it's definitely a bit overbearing in starting games! :sweat:

Grab another contemptor and make it roughly even. Spartan can wait on the bench for a bit.

I mean nothing is more even than 2 box sets, with a special weapons box. A Spartan, 10 termies, a dread, 30 tactical marines and 10 tactical support troops is a good force on each side.

Phalanx Warders are what make the RoW strong; you *dont* want to take regular breachers.

Phalanx Warders are what make the RoW strong; you *dont* want to take regular breachers.

I dunno looking at the special rules depending on how much breachers cost a backline unit of them seems really tough since they lose the reroll if they charge. If warders can take bolters over axes though that's your solution for having built regular breachers though as well.

Curious question please for loading out Vet squads, will the Tankhunter Melta / combi-Melta vets still be something that's viable, or even the Plasma version?  Did I read correctly that combis are one shots again or am I mistaken?  Trying to get some understanding and ideas for what bits I need to dig out of my bits box :)

Curious question please for loading out Vet squads, will the Tankhunter Melta / combi-Melta vets still be something that's viable, or even the Plasma version?  Did I read correctly that combis are one shots again or am I mistaken?  Trying to get some understanding and ideas for what bits I need to dig out of my bits box :smile.:

They dont have tankhunter, but melta is a LOT better in this edition as ceramite is gone and instant death is more useful. plus its now more reliable low AP. Combi weapons are split into two types, the relatively inoffensive ones like volkite and launchers are normal guns, whilst the tastier plasma and melta are one shot only.

Hope that helps!

Lets be honest, for years people complained that Warders are not the compulsory troops in Stone Gauntlet and they have been heard.

Your Breachers wont bei useless. They got their Points adjusted and can be used for other lists as troops.

Maybe get a pair Assault Drills for your Breachers.

Rereading Stone Guantlet, it says Warders must be taken as Compulsory Troops. So with that met, you could take Breachers

We'll have to see how regular breachers stack up to Warders in the full release especially in terms of points.

Hard to beat Warders and their potential 4++ (rerollable)/4+++ FNP (on an objective; with apothecary) and now coming standard with Bolter, Bolt Pistol and Power Axe with the option for squadwide melta bombs.

The only thing regular breachers seem to have over them is Graviton guns.

For me it just seems like a cynical change to make people buy more models as most players I know who run Stone Gauntlet have 2 squads of Breachers and 1 Warders. The chances of you wanting 4 troop choices is very low unless you are playing massive games as none of the squads are cheap. They could have said compulsory could be either Warders or Breachers.

Doesn’t really matter I suppose, just a small gripe. I’m going to buy some third party axes and just attached them to the back of my Breachers shields, and hey presto they are now Warders. 

I mean nothing is more even than 2 box sets, with a special weapons box. A Spartan, 10 termies, a dread, 30 tactical marines and 10 tactical support troops is a good force on each side.

Another Contemptor is definitely doable as I've been picking up some extra bits for the launch to expand the Iron Hands side as my main army. I'll see what the box recommends on how to run intro games but I think LameBeard's suggestion is probably the best fit :smile.:

Can somebody confirm, if they kept their 1W as of the Phase 3 Leaks?

One of the very few special units to not have received a 2nd wound. But given their monstreus survivability, i wouldn't be surprised.

With the "new" Assault Cannons being true to their name (being Assault now) and given, that the Castellan (hopefully) still makes HSS Line, i might see myself build a nice little mobile Rann/Warder/HSS list. 

The main weapon looks like it could be magnet friendly. Theres a different piece for the back of the turret depending on Melta or CHOOM, but the main weapon looks like it could slot in.

Chonky tank, I love it