Sanguinary Priest - Chief Apothecary

paspinall

Quick question, as I have seen this answered both as a yes and a no elsewhere, can your chief apothecary be a sanguinary priest ? it seems people tend to argue over if its the keyword thats important or the name of the character that's important. To me it clearly meant keyword because if it was name then technically you couldnt upgrade any primaris ;) 

Any character with the Apothecary keyword can be upgraded to a Chief Apothecary. A Sanguinary Priest has the Apothecary keyword. It's clear as day.

I feel like the only people who would argue this are people who aren't reading the rules from an official source. The Codex has the words clearly presented in keyword format, and the army builder in the app even has a specific option to upgrade the Sanguinary Priest.

Any character with the Apothecary keyword can be upgraded to a Chief Apothecary. A Sanguinary Priest has the Apothecary keyword. It's clear as day.

I feel like the only people who would argue this are people who aren't reading the rules from an official source. The Codex has the words clearly presented in keyword format, and the army builder in the app even has a specific option to upgrade the Sanguinary Priest.

it does have it in the format, but it very much doesnt actually say keyword for that bit but character, unlike the added keyword, which does. but thank you for confirming it is how I thought !

Edited by paspinall

it does have it in the format, but it very much doesnt actually say keyword for that bit but character, unlike the added keyword, which does. but thank you for confirming it is how I thought !

The vast majority of things don't actually spell it out though. I mean, look at any psychic power or stratagem. They are worded like "Select an ADEPTUS ASTARTES CORE unit", not "Select a unit with the ADEPTUS ASTARTES and CORE keywords".

it seems people tend to argue over if its the keyword thats important or the name of the character that's important. :wink:

These people either havent read the rules, dont understand the rules, or are idiots. Check the rules on p197. Anything in BOLD CAPITALS is a Keyword. It doesnt actually need to say Key Word. If it did, then abilities that say "affects BLOOD ANGELS" units wouldnt work because no unit has a datasheet entitled Blood Angels. 

If it says APOTHECARY, it can be anything with the APOTHECARY key word, datasheet name has nothing to do with it.