What Shade of Blue for my Libby?

geektom

Hey all!

For those who aren't familiar with my masochistic 3-color scheme, see the attached picture below.

I am doing my first ever Libby (kit bashed Firstborn with Jump Pack to lead my V Vets)- been a long time since I have painted any blue!

Looking for some opinions on what would work best- should I go lighter, say a Teclis Blue? Or go dark to match my purple, like a Kantor Blue?

I am still figuring out the rest of the scheme specifics, like how much if any of the chapter colors will also be represented. At the minimum, the shoulder pads will still be white/grey with gold trim.

Thanks!

Impcat Basic Troop

A not uncommon Librarian scheme is to have one arm be in the chapter colors and the rest blue or vice-versa. Either would work here and even if just the arm, that's enough to show the purple, white, and yellow.

Edit: As for the blue, I recommend lighter as a darker blue may pick up too much of a purple tone from whatever purple parts you decide to go with.

Edited by jaxom

I go for Kantor blue on my Libbys and just do the helmet and should pad rims.

Or helmet and backpack.

Sure, whatever combo works best with your paint scheme. I tend to use the "special" colour just to pick out details rather than paint the entire armour in that colour. Otherwise, every Librarian looks like an Ultramarine. :wink:

This is just my personal preference of course. If in doubt, always refer to the First Rule of Modelling! (They're your models so paint them how you like :biggrin.:).

Personally I've really started to appreciate heavily robed librarians, allowing for armour and then robes close to the chapter colours, see here, while a darker red than my Blood Angels power armour, the red robe ties him back to the army:

Libby

Depending on how you kitbashed him (my kitbashed firstborn librarians are all based on the Dark Angel veteran kit so heavily robed (no pics to hand at present)  then that may work for you as well, a blue (My preference would probably be Macragge based to keep the more subdued tones of your other guys) with yellowy ochre robes and maybe a white tabard?

Personally I've really started to appreciate heavily robed librarians, allowing for armour and then robes close to the chapter colours, see here, while a darker red than my Blood Angels power armour, the red robe ties him back to the army:

Depending on how you kitbashed him (my kitbashed firstborn librarians are all based on the Dark Angel veteran kit so heavily robed (no pics to hand at present)  then that may work for you as well, a blue (My preference would probably be Macragge based to keep the more subdued tones of your other guys) with yellowy ochre robes and maybe a white tabard?

i really like the robed look, too- though I don’t have a body that will work along with the jump pack right now.

Edited by geektom

I like option 2 the most, though I would probably only paint the helmet blue, maybe the shoulder pads. I just like your normal scheme a lot and don't want to see it swallowed in blue.

yeah, I hear you- luckily the jump pack will give it a lot of yellow, more than the regular model I used as an example.

I am just not sure how a blue helmet will look with my already busy scheme- I will test it out on Impcat

ok, here is the base coat- decided to go with a light-to-medium blue. The yellow jump back and other splashes of yellow ill tie it together, along with the chapter shoulder pads, and possibly purple on the sword.

Libby with Jump Pack WIP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...