[IG | GSC | Tyranids] A Shadow over Koranoa

LinkStatic

Hello all,

I am new to this board and a refugee of the more darker and more negative hobbysites that are around.

In this thread,I want to show my progress of three of my armies, which, more accidently than planned, all kind of tie in together. My Imperial Guard, my Tyranids and as a latest addition, my Genestealer Cult. 

I want to take the chance to maybe write down a bit of my head canon and in general keep track of the project.

So, please enjoy. :smile.:

161th Koranoan

This army started as a bit of a coincidence but it really grew on my. Originally my cousin started to play guard with two catachan army boxes and a valkyrie. Eventually he left the hobby and gave them to me. In the beginning, I would've never started with Catachan but the goofy looking guys kinda found a way to my heart. They were my first army, where I really dug into and got a lot of it painted. The paintjob is really simple on most, just base colour, washes and drybrushes.But I think it works on an army wide image. As I really started to paint during Corona, I based them on a planet called Koranoa.

Army Shot

alla5jci.jpg

The Infantry

infantryikjq6.jpg

Tank Commanders

tankcommandera2kvr.jpg

The Heavy Guns

basilisksgqjsd.jpg

Heavy Weapons Team

hwt0fjmc.jpg

Sentinels

sentinels2skrj.jpg

Auxiliaries

auxiliaries6lj1t.jpg

66th Koranoan Airborne

scionstyjf6.jpg

scions270jub.jpg

lrm_20210920_214146s7jub.jpg

Gaunt's Ghosts

gauntsghostscpkwm.jpg

TO DO
2x Leman Russ (built and primed)
3x Heavy Weapon Teams with Heavy Bolter (built)
1x Baneblade (built and primed)

Hive Fleet Charybdis

Army Shot

grouppicturepuj5o.jpg

The Swarmlord

swarmlordnukgs.jpg

Winged Hive Tyrant

hivetyrantm3jb2.jpg

Exocrine and Haruspex

exocrinelckap.jpg

Gargoyles

gargoylesubjfc.jpg

Termagaunts & Ripper Swarms

termagaunts68jj9.jpg

Broodlord & Genestealer

broodlord_genestealer2ojen.jpg

Zoantrophes and Neurothrope

zoantropheswvjuq.jpg

Hive Guard

hiveguarddgkww.jpg

Trygon

trygonaej6j.jpg

TO DO
1x Tyrannofex (built and based)
19x Genestealers (built and based)
10x Gargoyles (built and based)

Johnson and Johnson Lumber Co. (Cult of the Fallen Star)

This is my latest addition. I am currently working on a color scheme, trying out orange as a main color for the jump suites and yellow for the Vehicles. I wanted to try to avoid green, too many projects. I want the skin tone to vary from a white skin tone to the same skintone of my tyranids, with white skin and dark spots as a progress.In my head canon they are not miners but lumberjacks and deforestation workers. I love the Genestealer Cult and it is the perfect link between my Imperial Guard and Tyranids.

Test scheme for my cult. Really liking it and its fun to paint and not too much of a hustle. Definitely horde army viable.

lrm_20210829_200916vpk3h.jpg

I also discovered a nice tutorial on yellow vehicles which I tested on my Ridgerunners, as I wanted to try yellow vehicles anyway.

TO DO
1x fem Magus (built and based)
1xAcolyte Iconward
20x Neophyte Hybrinds (built and based)
11x Acolyte Hybrids (built and based)
2x Achilles Ridgerunner (built and based)

Some pictures from a match from the weekend against Death Guard:

Thank you for your kind words! :smile.:

Continuing my work on the cult I finished all the infantry now of the two start collecting boxes. Motivating myself to paint GSC is pretty easy with the codex (probably) coming in December and Angels of Death depicting them in a great, menacing way.

lrm_20210926_1047435sjmn.jpg

lrm_20210926_104802gbkln.jpg

lrm_20210926_1047517xja0.jpg

lrm_20210926_104758qykit.jpg

I am planning on getting two or three more start collecting boxes, as these are great value, without any characters decreasing the value (as the iconward is easily kitbashed into another acolyte hybrid). I am fearing, the upcoming Combat Patrol will have one or more characters, making rebuying it more than once a bit less good value.

Up next I think will be a Tank Commander, to get them up to three.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job on the nids! The green/yellow/brown is such a good natural-looking color scheme. The logger GSCs are a fantastic idea - I'm imagining a "Shadow over Innsmouth" scenario, but set in the Cascades instead of New England.

Thanks! Totally the vibe I am imagining as well with the Cult. Thats one thing that really draws me to them.

Today, the 161. got totally served by the Adepta Sororitas. There were different factors at play: 1. My list was really really bad against his. 2. I played really bad. I am still lacking experience with the Imperial Guars in specific and Warhammer 9th in general. Nevertheless,it was a fun game and I went straight back to the drawing board with new list ideas.

Some impressions:

20211016_142550rnkms.jpg

20211016_140539xvj18.jpg

20211016_155539r9kqd.jpg

20211016_1555379wjit.jpg

My opponent provided the terrain. For myself I ordered the prepainted Urban Mats one last week. Looking forward to it arriving.

• 5 weeks later...

So, I haven't posted for a while, but not because I did not paint, but I just didn't take any photos. In the last few weeks, some stuff happened.

1. My pile of grey plastic grew. I got a perfect offer to pick up some GSC from a friend second hand (although all in sprue, so basically new) for a really good price. This included: The old Insurrection box (Brood Coven, Truck, Acolytes, Neophytes and Brood Brothers. I took the brood brothers sprues, put some catachan heads on them and added them to my Karanoan Guard.), a box of Atalan Jackals, some old Kill Team Box with a Kellermorph, more Acolytes and an Iconward, the Death Watch Overkill (?) sprues, basically an abominant, aberrants and more acolytes and another female Magus. I built most of it and painted a lot of it. I did not built the acolytes yet and will wait for the codex to see how I will equip them. So yeah. Now I have a really solid base for my cult.

2. I painted a lot! I had an idea of a memey melee Catachan list and raided my bitz box and built the last remaining Guardsmen I had, some with power swords, some with fists, some regular. I also painted all the remaining Infantry. So now, the only thing left for me to paint are two Russes and the Baneblade.

So now for some pictures (will add some more over the next days).

Tyrannofex

20211118_132011fcjmq.jpg

20211118_132038x7krs.jpg

Inquisitor Coteaz (bought him for the memey melee list and I looove the model)

20211118_133002kxk5x.jpg

New Guardsmen using the Cadian Sprue + Catachan Heads. They fit the army nicely:

20211118_133427cgjbt.jpg

The Patriarch of my Cult. I ordered some tree trunks from GSW, to get a bit more away from the industrial feel and add to the foresty theme:

20211118_132701a5khs.jpg

I hope you enjoy them. More will follow :smile.: