Vanguard Vets

Paladin777

After I finish painting my sanguinary guard I'm going to assemble two boxes of VV's. While I know that I'm going to make at least most of them with LC/SS combo, would anyone recommend me sprinkling any other weapon combos in with them? Maybe couple Fists/hammers in case they get charged by something big and stompy? Or maybe the relic blade on the sarge?

I would probably be tempted by a single TH on the Sarg. They are going to be up close to the enemy so the chances of them tangling with e larger threat is definitely there. Even if you are facing an all-infantry Marine army there are plenty of 3W Terminators and Gravis units about these days.

If you are just buy one, I think the extra points on a Hammer rather than a Fist are worth it in case you run into Dreads or similar units with the -1 Damage ability.

Edited by Karhedron

Would you recommend an inferno pistol on the sarge for extra punch for the same price as the storm shield for knocking of more wounds off of hard targets? There would be 18 2+\4++ wounds to chew through before getting to him which I would think should keep him safe enough. Edited by Paladin777

If you're looking for something to add to the Sergeant other than a Storm Shield, may I suggest the humble Bolt Pistol?

For Quake Bolts! Pay 1 CP to make the whole squad WS 2+ essentially, along with anything else attacking the same target. Certainly more net damage than an Inferno Pistol, though I've not bothered to run the math.

If you're looking for something to add to the Sergeant other than a Storm Shield, may I suggest the humble Bolt Pistol?

For Quake Bolts! Pay 1 CP to make the whole squad WS 2+ essentially, along with anything else attacking the same target. Certainly more net damage than an Inferno Pistol, though I've not bothered to run the math.

Now there's an idea!

It's not a bad idea, although personally I prefer Quake Bolts on my Eliminator Sergeant as he has BS2+ and longer range meaning I am more likely to be able to Fell something with them.

Edited by Karhedron

Well, I definitely want some eliminators anyway so I think I'll go that route. In the meantime, I think I'll do eight with claws and shields, then a hammer and inferno pistol on two of them. They will actually be the easiest to model as well because the box only comes with four right handed claws and four shields and I don't have extra!

On the same topic of Vanguard Vets, I have a ten man squad built since a couple years ago. I do not want to buy additional Vanguard Vet boxes. I'm seeking some feedback on how they're geared?

I have a ten man squad and they are:

Sergeant: SS and Relic Blade

3 with SS and thunder hammers

2 with SS and chainswords

1 with power axe and inferno pistol

1 with power sword and inferno pistol

2 with dual lightning claws

Thoughts? Viable enough to avoid more purchases building the 9th meta SS+LC combo?

Edited by Helias Tancred

Unfortunately, I don't have any inferno pistols! D: I have one from the Sanguinary Guard box, but I'm not sure I want to use that one! DX

Convert from a bolt pistol - you only need to remove the magazine and add some kind of tube to the barrel

Helias, I suppose you can use the dual-LC and CS/SS guys in tandem to basically do the same as 4xLC/SS. Add you choice of sergeant (SS/TH or Axe/IP). 

Edited by Majkhel

Checked eBay. Looked like I'm just going to use the SG ones after all because that's that's all that's available and I don't feel like buying another box of DC (already got ten and I don't feel the need for more).

Five bucks later and I've got the bits I need on order! :)

Edited by Paladin777