Reclusiarch Krieg's Veterans of the Declates Crusade

Kastor Krieg

With the new release, I'm restarting my age old project, the Veterans of the Declates Crusade. Mostly a Black Templar force that also contains said veterans, both Templars and Crimson FIsts, in mixed paintjobs (CF with cross on white kneepads, BT with red left armour hands).

I'm experimenting with how I want to paint black armor, currently attempting to follow the blue-black Masterclass tutorial off WH+ and adding enamel / oils weathering on top of it. Here are some examples:

JFqkjdB.png92THgAk.png

Then I've dunked Streaking Grime all over it :wink:

llMQFNR.png

But he seems to have cleaned up pretty well!

GQNjVtx.pngT0s6c1C.pngO6UIvHJ.png

Chaplain Ensel is one of the aforementioned veterans who have successfully crossed the Rubicon. 

0tgfCr7.png

And a small kitbash riff on the popular miniature - I hated the blunted sword point, so fixed that and gave him a Templar helmet. The armour is Vallejo "Exhaust Manifold" with BT Contrast thinned 50/50 with Constrast Medium used as a blueish black filter over it.

C1P1kNZ.png

Comments and feedback most welcome, I will be posting painting progress here of course and expanding on the existing fluff.

Edited by Reclusiarch Krieg

The Marshal is beautifully painted and detailed. How will you decorate the models' bases? With Ork corpses?

Thanks! :)

That's a Captain in Gravis, so a Castellan for Templars. A Marshal is Chapter Master equivalent (one per Crusade fleet) and one High Marshal Helbrecht above all.

Haven't considered it yet, will have to see if I have many Ork bits. I have some for sure left over from building 20 Kommandos >_>

The Terminator Chaplain is beautifully painted and detailed.

Thanks! It's actually very achievable for everyone, most of this was blocking in fully opaque colors and metallics, some highlights and quasi-lights on armour with off-greys and then a lot of fun with oils and enamel effects. I think I will grime him up a little bit more :)

Further testing of paint scheme. This time heavy drybrush of very light gray over black, then filtered with a 50/50 mix of Black Templar Contrast and Akhelian Green, alternatively Teradon Tourquoise. I find that cold gold works really well with this scheme. What do you guys think? :smile.:

Ib0Zfkw.png

Definitely match cold gold with the almost ethereal black. It looks good!

The cold gold works great. Is that a lion in disguise or is the pose just eerily similar?

Thanks! Just a cool fencing pose I guess :3

Gotta figure out how to wash the gold without spoiling it.

Maybe a light green/turqouise wash to almost give a verdigris effect?

Have you washed the gold bits yet for shadows? If not, can I recommend a greenish wash?  That will bring out the Akhelian Green, / Teradon Tourquoise armored tones.

Are you guys thinking about a verdigris effect, as light as this?

verdigris-1920-1170x1170.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yoinked Helbrecht's ork from him and repurposed xD

Thinking to greenstuff over the sword's inquisition symbol hole and add a lot more bling to the big guy. Arms fully magnetized, the gatling is still an option and plasma is a separate piece. I will not place the mini gatling / flamer though, I will play make believe, they're in the classic "inside the palm" place, now just not visible :wink:

Also considering cutting that spiky circle from the hilt.

+ YOU! +

aFZgnTc.png

Oh my.

That's a nice dread.

I'm just not so sold on dreads wielding hand held weapons.

The same for the sidearm hb on the invictor warsuit, but bt modelling wise the dread looks very promising!

Your other models are also very nice.

Keep it up.