Mechanized infantry Black Templars

Tiger9gamer

Ah, sorry for the double post but I want to add one more list for a potential list to build for. I cannot decide if I want to bring myself an apothecary or instead take out a bare bones crusader squad and turn it into a 5 man devastator squad with x2 multi meltas and x1 grav cannon…

also how do I do a drop down?

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) [102 PL, 1,999pts, 8CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Chapter Selection: Black Templars

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Matched

+ Stratagems +

Strategem: Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 100pts, -1CP]: Master of Arms, Power sword, Storm shield, Stratagem: Heir of Sigismund, Sword of Judgement, The Imperium's Sword, Warlord

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts, -1CP]: 2. Psalm of the Remorseless Persecution, 4. Fires of Devotion, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Tannhauser's Bones, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 110pts]
. 3x Initiate w/ Chainsword: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Initiate w/ Heavy or Melee Weapon: Power fist
. Sword Brother: Boltgun, Power fist

. 3x Initiate w/ Chainsword: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 90pts]
. 4x Initiate: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Boltgun, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Sword Brother

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 95pts]
. 4x Initiate w/ Chainsword: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Sword Brother: Power axe

+ Elites +

Apothecary [4 PL, 75pts]

Vanguard Veteran Squad [13 PL, 249pts, -1CP]: Fist of Balthus
. Vanguard Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Vanguard Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Champion of the Feast, Power fist, Storm shield

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Multi-melta
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Multi-melta
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider [15 PL, 290pts]: Multi-melta

+ Dedicated Transport +

Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]: Storm bolter

++ Total: [102 PL, 8CP, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

why the Fist of Balthus on a squad which already have the most output. 

But I think that list works much better then many people think it works.

Rhinos and crusadersquads could work really well.

btw... I would prefer 2 lightning claws on the sword brother in crusader squads. 5 Attacks on charge is really good.

what would be the best Vanguard vet build? I am probably going to make a poll on Reddit for this too, but I know swords or axes would be amazing modeling wise, but they wouldn’t be as usable as lightning claws seem to be. Should I go with what is cool?

Lightning claws are pretty clearly superior to swords or axes right now. Up to you if it's worth trading performance for looks.

That said, one codex ago lightning claws were niche, and fists/hammers or chainswords were the go-to, and one codex from now, who knows. So even aside from aesthetics, magnetizing the weapon arms is worth serious consideration.

what would be the best Vanguard vet build? I am probably going to make a poll on Reddit for this too, but I know swords or axes would be amazing modeling wise, but they wouldn’t be as usable as lightning claws seem to be. Should I go with what is cool?

Lightning claws are pretty clearly superior to swords or axes right now. Up to you if it's worth trading performance for looks.

That said, one codex ago lightning claws were niche, and fists/hammers or chainswords were the go-to, and one codex from now, who knows. So even aside from aesthetics, magnetizing the weapon arms is worth serious consideration.

That is true. I wish I had seen this an hour ago, I could have picked up a working drill bit from the FGS! I pciked up green stuff for tabards though.

why the Fist of Balthus on a squad which already have the most output. 

But I think that list works much better then many people think it works.

Rhinos and crusadersquads could work really well.

btw... I would prefer 2 lightning claws on the sword brother in crusader squads. 5 Attacks on charge is really good.

Fist is on the Champion of blades like usual in my games lol. He is there to make sure I have enough Anti armor.

In fact same for all the power fists on the crusader squads. I am always worried I do not have enough anti-tank.

With the new Book i would prefer 4x shield + L-Claw + Sword Brother with 2 Lighting claws and bones of mordred.  Never underestimate how many 6s can be rolled by 6 attacks... epecially when they have rerolls to hit.

that is fair! though In the last game of TTS I played, the champion of the feast with the fist pretty much one shotted a choppy necron overlord, then did it again when he stood back up. it was glorious, and cements my love for it. It really is a mini-character with 18 ablative wounds.

Though the squad I did have in that game was only company command because it was a 1k game. x2 LC SS vets with the Fist champ. My opponent couldn't handle them ironically, and the emperor was on my side with the dice!

Edited by Tiger9gamer

Speaking of veterans, I found that sprue of relic terminators I have been looking everywhere for! Once again I am asking what is the consensus on load out. I am doing the standard Champion of the Fist on the squad in leu of any other big vet squad, and probably will have them be my payload unit until I make my big squad. I am tempted to go twin lightning claws on most of them except the heavy weapon guy and the sergeant, but I don’t wanna miss out on all the dakka they can provide.

Chainfist sis AP4 so cuts through most anything without an invulnerable save.

and D3 is often better because of the great amount of -1damage abilities.

That is fair! Yea, I think I will do that then. They will be in my party bus crusader most likely in my "Broke Crusade" for the army I have now left over in my basement. I did manage to Massacre Convert some tactical squads into crusader squads with bolters and chainswords and double fists. That build did really well for me in my last tabletop simulator game, and only through sheer luck managed to survive 3 rounds against lychguard (thanks to uphold the honor vow and divine protection, and some godly rolls. they even managed to kill half the squad! )

Also bought a chaplain on bike and converted an old dread to a venerable dread. My crusade is slowly growing brothers!

If only Tartaros had chainfists on sprue too.

Whelp, that is a flaw in that idea! so Assuming I cannot make a chainfist (look, I need to scrape together every chainsword I have now adays, so I can't really convert them easily) What would be the second best option?

Tartaros do come with chainfists in their box?

yea, I just doubled checked, and they come with chainfist attachments. Okay, all chainfist (and Belthas fist) in the squad, gonna take plasma blaster and heavy flamer.  I won't take the fist if I have another elite unit as like terminators, but when I run them they are definately going to have that relic, or the ignoring AP one.

I have so many projects for this black templar army going on at once, but I am having a blast. Going to focus on my first firstborn fist unit just to get one done, then probably going to go back to my assault intercessors, and THEN tackle the army box I have waiting...

Or just skip the assault intercessors and go straight for the crusader squad.

Tartaros do come with chainfists in their box?

Aaaah, so they do, sorry for potentially misleading. Seems my faulty memory was faulty again - though this raises the question where I've put the sprue that has 'em, because the one I found didn't.

TBH I wanna do some firstborn but, they will go legends after 9.th

I believe Vanguard Vets and Terminators will be the sole choice. Even Vang Vets can go ...

Edited by BayOkuz

Just for fun, what is the best way to run a leviathan or a relic contemptor? know Venerable dreads are in right now, but I would like to purchase one some day. I already have a dual assault cannon contemptor at any rate, but I dunno what the best loadout will be.

TBH I wanna do some firstborn but, they will go legends after 9.th

I believe Vanguard Vets and Terminators will be the sole choice. Even Vang Vets can go ...

it looks to be going thatway huh? I think if GW does that they will really face a fan backlash.

I dunno about best, but grav + drill with volkites is my preference and how I’m gonna run mine. Seems a shame to miss out on a CCW, and it can threaten anything with every weapon. And maybe 3 missiles, for turn 1 long range potential. Edited by Juggernut

I dunno about best, but grav + drill with volkites is my preference and how I’m gonna run mine. Seems a shame to miss out on a CCW, and it can threaten anything with every weapon. And maybe 3 missiles, for turn 1 long range potential.

I was thinking that too, but I would personally need to try it out. This looks like it would be a job for magnets for sure though!

how about the relic contemptor? is the volkite carronade really the best?