Mechanized infantry Black Templars

Tiger9gamer

I dunno about best, but grav + drill with volkites is my preference and how I’m gonna run mine. Seems a shame to miss out on a CCW, and it can threaten anything with every weapon. And maybe 3 missiles, for turn 1 long range potential.

I was thinking that too, but I would personally need to try it out. This looks like it would be a job for magnets for sure though!

how about the relic contemptor? is the volkite carronade really the best?

Re: volkite it has a high volume of shots and potential mortal wounds on 6’s. There are so many damage mitigating, you can’t hurt me, hahaha nice try targets out there it’s a way to get past that. Someone who plays a bunch could probably offer a more nuanced explanation but I think it boils down to that. Edited by Juggernut

Fair enough! It is a distand dream to get one, but hopefully in the future. I may make this into my own personal crusade blog, but I like the talk of tactics a lot too.

Just got finished painting my first Venerable dread with multi-melta (thank you assault on black reach!) and may paint another one provided that it's salvagable (I got it second hand... from a 5 year old who didn't learn how to thin their paints. Thank heavens the gun and arms were salvageable!)

If you model your firstborn BT smartly and they get squatted in 10th ed, you could move them over to HH with little trouble. 

kiiiiinnnda. I am using Mark 7 and later armors mixed in with Mk 3 (because that is what I have currently). I really hope they don't get squatted, and I don't think GW is that insane. if they are, I really hope they at least give the primaris a land raider equivalent and the ability to mix and match weapons... 

I do hope that they are not lol

As for mechanized... this is the OG mechanization. Rhinos, Land raiders, dreads and tanks!

Repulsor always was the direct "Land Raider equivalent"? Now if you want a variant of it that is more equivalent to the LR Crusader with even more transport capability, that's another thing. However given vehicle fragility putting more than 10 models into a single transport is just excessively suicidal.

Repulsor always was the direct "Land Raider equivalent"? Now if you want a variant of it that is more equivalent to the LR Crusader with even more transport capability, that's another thing. However given vehicle fragility putting more than 10 models into a single transport is just excessively suicidal.

With the advent of the upgrade sprue MM, you can at least do a reasonable "Repulsor Crusader" now - heavy bolters in the hull, storm bolters above all the doors, Gatling cannon turret and a multi melta on the pintle mount.

Good thing I am not writing lists solely around land raiders and vehicles transporting my troops! eheheh...

Yea, The lists I am making to take advantage of Shock and Awe usually have like, 12 people in there, (or a 15 for a full termi squad and command squad) but I love the thematics and fluff of it. Gonna give it a try on TTS one of these days, but I am trying to be flexible. if jump packs really are better I may give them a go (or make two squads with them) and stuff like that. Really I am looking for being "Competatively casual" where I have a good chance to win and fight, but I am not cheesing everything

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) [99 PL, 1,998pts, 8CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Chapter Selection: Black Templars

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Matched

+ Stratagems +

Strategem: Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 100pts, -1CP]: Master of Arms, Power sword, Storm shield, Stratagem: Heir of Sigismund, Sword of Judgement, The Imperium's Sword, Warlord

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts, -1CP]: 4. Fires of Devotion, 5. Fervent Acclamation, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Tannhauser's Bones, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 110pts]
. 3x Initiate w/ Chainsword: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Initiate w/ Heavy or Melee Weapon: Power fist
. Sword Brother: Bolt pistol, Power fist

. 3x Initiate w/ Chainsword: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 100pts]
. 3x Initiate: 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Boltgun, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Initiate w/ Heavy or Melee Weapon: Grav-cannon
. Sword Brother: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites +

Apothecary [4 PL, 75pts]

Vanguard Veteran Squad [13 PL, 303pts, -1CP]: Fist of Balthus
. Vanguard Veteran: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Champion of the Feast, Power fist, Storm shield

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Multi-melta
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Crusader [15 PL, 290pts]: Multi-melta

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [6 PL, 110pts]: Twin heavy bolter

Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]

Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]

++ Total: [99 PL, 8CP, 1,998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Black Templars) [101 PL, 1,999pts, 8CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Chapter Selection: Black Templars

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Matched

+ Stratagems +

Strategem: Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 90pts, -1CP]: Master of Arms, Plasma pistol, Power sword, Stratagem: Heir of Sigismund, Sword of Judgement, The Imperium's Sword, Warlord

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [7 PL, 140pts, -1CP]: 1. Litany of Divine Protection, 5. Fervent Acclamation, Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Tannhauser's Bones, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

. Sword Brother: Boltgun, Power fist

Crusader Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. Initiate w/ Special Weapon: Flamer

+ Elites +

Apothecary [4 PL, 75pts]

Vanguard Veteran Squad [13 PL, 249pts, -1CP]: Fist of Balthus
. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Champion of the Feast, Power fist, Storm shield

+ Fast Attack +

Suppressor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]
. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Bolt pistol, 2x Frag & Krak grenades
. Suppressor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [12 PL, 240pts]
. 5x Devastator Marine: 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Boltgun, 5x Frag & Krak grenades
. Devastator Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. Devastator Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Grav-cannon
. Devastator Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Grav-cannon
. Devastator Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta
. Devastator Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-melta

Land Raider [15 PL, 290pts]: Multi-melta

+ Dedicated Transport +

Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]: Storm bolter

++ Total: [101 PL, 8CP, 1,999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

alright, two more lists and two more how does it looks? Made both lists and I  am trying to build for both. Both are “casually competitive”, looking for a fun time with all my tanks that can hold it’s own

Don't want to be harsh, but "land raider" and "competitive" can't be put into one same sentence now.

Yea, That's why I said "Casual Competitive". A strong contender for a casual game IRL is what I am aiming for, and because I am very excited to make a VV squad to run out of it to punch things. I would probably change to a drop pod, jump packs or even a rhino in future games, but I have a land raider and It is calling my name

I don't play BT, but the idea of the Impulsor with a 5++ shield, twin stormbolters and a multi-melta sounds good by the current state of SM vehicles in the meta. Has anyone tested how viable they are?

I think I'd be happier seeing them lose the transport capacity and cost 40pts less. Taken as Fast Attack, lose the Shield and take the Missile Array and 5++ vow :wink:

Edited by Brother Kraskor

I don't play BT, but the idea of the Impulsor with a 5++ shield, twin stormbolters and a multi-melta sounds good by the current state of SM vehicles in the meta. Has anyone tested how viable they are?

Not yet but they look good on paper. Impulsors are decent (assuming you have appropriate cargo) and MMs are very good. The main issue with the Impulsor is you want the 5++ to give it a chance of delivering its cargo but it can't do much afterwards. Sticking a MM on top gives it a job and means the opponent cannot ignore it.

You could take the Vow that gives a 5++ and replace the Shield Dome with a gun turret. Now you actually have a transport with a respectable amount of firepower and a 5++. Yu could probably build a decent force around a few of those with Bladeguard and Assault Hellblasters onboard.

Impulsors and Templars do seem like a match made in heaven.

They bring SPEED and firepower to units that want to drive up and then hold objectives. Including the likes of Sword Brethren, Bladeguard etc

There's even room for minimal squads and a supporting character.

You can probably play a pretty effective MSU in transports build with them, given the resilience the Vow and chapter tactics give them. Not to mention you can play aggressively, charging them into the opponent to block shooting.

Plus, if you keep them close enough to your troops they can enforce the -2" charge distance with the stratagem in a lot of cases.

They pay points for being a generalist unit, but that's not always a bad thing.

They bring SPEED and firepower to units that want to drive up and then hold objectives. Including the likes of Sword Brethren, Bladeguard etc

You can probably play a pretty effective MSU in transports build with them, given the resilience the Vow and chapter tactics give them. Not to mention you can play aggressively, charging them into the opponent to block shooting.

Plus, if you keep them close enough to your troops they can enforce the -2" charge distance with the stratagem in a lot of cases.

Eg:

Primaris Marshal (95) - Sword of Judgement & Plasma Pistol, Heir of Sigismund: Master of Arms & Paragon of Fury

Primaris Castellan (75) - Teeth of Terra, Hero of the Chapter: Imperium's Sword

5 Incursors (105)

5 Sword Brethren (137) - 1x Twin Lightning Claws, 1x Thunder Hammer, 3x Power Swords

5 Sword Brethren (137) - 1x Twin Lightning Claws, 1x Thunder Hammer, 3x Power Swords

10 Hellblasters (330) - Assault Plasma

Impulsor (150) - Multi-Melta, Bellicatus Missile Array, 2x Storm Bolters

1479pts, 9CP

Hellies combat squad, then you've got four Impulsors to fill with 2x SB squads and 2x Hellie squads, and the two characters.

Don't want to be harsh, but "land raider" and "competitive" can't be put into one same sentence now.

Yea, That's why I said "Casual Competitive". A strong contender for a casual game IRL is what I am aiming for, and because I am very excited to make a VV squad to run out of it to punch things. I would probably change to a drop pod, jump packs or even a rhino in future games, but I have a land raider and It is calling my name

Maybe the worst idea ever but if I had to take a land raider my thought process would be: "so I pay for speed and durability, I should put something in it thats slow and not very durable and try to charge out with shock and awe and wreck someting." So what if a cheap and big crusader squad, 15 man with 10 neophytes to keep it cheap and abuse the fact that they can't be shot untill they already engaged something. Then add Vanguard Veterans who already are fast and durable as a separate unit to engage the counterpunch to your crusade blob.

Eg:

Primaris Marshal (95) - Sword of Judgement & Plasma Pistol, Heir of Sigismund: Master of Arms & Paragon of Fury

5 Incursors (105)

1479pts, 9CP

Hellies combat squad, then you've got four Impulsors to fill with 2x SB squads and 2x Hellie squads, and the two characters.

Hell yeah!

It can definitely work, target saturation of mid-level armour is definitely a winning tactic.

Sack off the incursors though, they're lame ;)

All good ideas! I can recognize that I am being stubborn. I just have an LRC that's been unpainted for so long that I want to do something with it, and getting a squad of VVets into combat would at least be something for it. But, I can admit that it is taking up a lot of points and is a huge target, and that it isn't as tough as it used to be in 40k, which breaks my heart just a wee bit. Going to be trying it out on TTS this week before I fully commit to it, as I am about to put together my VVets squad with all the lightning claws I can scrape together.

I can see myself using jump pack vets to deliver a counter punch, true, but I am worried about their durability as they jump up the field. I  Guess old editions are making me weary about running footslogging anything, especially elite units like those. Hell, I may switch out to a rhino for them if it is that much better and cheaper in points!

how about the rest of the list? think the devastators are good in rhinos like that to deploy mid-field?

I think lots of people are used to casual and competitive being two distinct terms, so combining them doesn’t exactly make clear what that means.

yea, I can see it. I just want to be mid-tier. Not ultimate cheese, able to put down an army for a game of 40k in a casual setting that wouldn't be too jerkish

Answers in Gold:

All good ideas! I can recognize that I am being stubborn. I just have an LRC that's been unpainted for so long that I want to do something with it, and getting a squad of VVets into combat would at least be something for it. But, I can admit that it is taking up a lot of points and is a huge target, and that it isn't as tough as it used to be in 40k, which breaks my heart just a wee bit. Going to be trying it out on TTS this week before I fully commit to it, as I am about to put together my VVets squad with all the lightning claws I can scrape together.

I can see myself using jump pack vets to deliver a counter punch, true, but I am worried about their durability as they jump up the field. I  Guess old editions are making me weary about running footslogging anything, especially elite units like those. Hell, I may switch out to a rhino for them if it is that much better and cheaper in points!

The point of Vanguard Vets is that they get mobility from Jump packs (and being infantry) and survivability from Storm Shields. Putting them in a LRC doesn't really offer anything they can't do cheaper - even if it is cool :)

The Shock & Awe strat is great, but its not offering anything to VV in the slightest. Plus they can't "fill" the Land Raider unless you add a second squad/ characters. For casual play I'm sure its fine but it's just not too good otherwise.

Even terminators aren't massively improved as its quite easy to give them a 7" re-rollable charge from deep strike. It's only really Crusader Squads & Centurions that benefit.

how about the rest of the list? think the devastators are good in rhinos like that to deploy mid-field?

In other chapters, yes. In the Templars? Sadly no. There is no way to mitigate the -1 to hit from moving and firing Heavy Weapons (such as in many other chapters). Like they're fine but by no means amazing.

Answers in Gold:

The point of Vanguard Vets is that they get mobility from Jump packs (and being infantry) and survivability from Storm Shields. Putting them in a LRC doesn't really offer anything they can't do cheaper - even if it is cool :smile.:

The Shock & Awe strat is great, but its not offering anything to VV in the slightest. Plus they can't "fill" the Land Raider unless you add a second squad/ characters. For casual play I'm sure its fine but it's just not too good otherwise.

Even terminators aren't massively improved as its quite easy to give them a 7" re-rollable charge from deep strike. It's only really Crusader Squads & Centurions that benefit.

In other chapters, yes. In the Templars? Sadly no. There is no way to mitigate the -1 to hit from moving and firing Heavy Weapons (such as in many other chapters). Like they're fine but by no means amazing.

That is fair on all accounts! I think I may have to magnetize the backpacks after all... no need to spend all my on conversion bits and not have them do their intended purpose of smashing stuff. How would the apothecary keep up though? the captain will have a jump pack as well, but the apothecary will be left in the dust

Eg:

5 Incursors (105)

1479pts, 9CP

Hell yeah!

It can definitely work, target saturation of mid-level armour is definitely a winning tactic.

Sack off the incursors though, they're lame :wink:

Which Troops choice then? :laugh.: Could take a Vanguard detachment but then paying 3CP and needing to find a 100pt Elite unit which can transport itself... I think the Incursors might be needed!