Sage Advise need: Sanguinary Guard vs Blade Guard

BaldrickRSA

Hello all,

Some sage advise needed. Been playing with a number of 2000points lists, and have always wondered what is the best ‘use’ of points when  it comes to the following:

10x Sanguinary Guard unit, all with Power Axes: 320points. Very mobile, deadly on the charge/melee.

Or

6x Blade Guard, incl Vet Serg, all with storm shields and master crafted power swords: 210points. Tough, resilient, with 2+, and 4++, and 3 wounds each, but slow…….

There are no points available to put the bladeguard in a drop pod.

So based on the above two unit choices, what would be your choice. You cannot have both. Only one of the two. I still like the manoeuvrability of the jump packs.

Looking forward you hearing your thoughts……..and math-hammer…….

Yours thankfully

BaldrickRSA

Edited by BaldrickRSA

Well, bladeguard can't use a pod anyway (primaris obviously don't fit in the restraints) but given you've costed the two units as 100pts difference- what else has changed in the lists they are in. If your only cc unit is the bladeguard then that might work if they are being played as a reactionary unit when the enemy get near your gunline, but if you are hoping to use them to get into the opponents backfield on foot then that is t going to work...

Two very different units, with very different areas of expertise, considered in a vacuum makes it hard to know what you want help with?

Despite the similarity of armament, they play very differently. Sanguinary Guard are your fast glass-hammer unit. I know you have not costed for it but the fact they can take power fists and inferno pistols means they can threaten heavier targets than the Bladeguard. SG work best with a Sanguinary Priest in my experience to heal/res them and also trigger Heirs of Azkellon.

The Bladeguard are a lot more durable but a lot slower. While character support it always nice, they don't need it in quite the same way that the Sanguinary Guard do.

It depends what you want the squad to do and what else you have in your army.

If you intend to go on the offensive, Bladeguard need a transport. Otherwise, Sanguinary Guard are superior, able to reach the enemy faster while enjoying better shooting, weapon options and stratagem support. On the other hand, playing a gunline can give the Bladeguard a good role for counter attacking and charge discouraging.

Even so, in such a list I would still consider SG, their speed, greater numbers and versatility make them excellent for sudden changes of circumstance. If your opponent decides to charge, deploy as you would BG, if they try to stay back, deepstrike and destroy. Is your enemy bothering you with beyond-LoS artillery? Shiny nipple guys go! Is that buffing character being a pain? SG are pretty good at Eversor-style assassination techniques! And of course, trading that 4++ for a -1to hit in melee can be shockingly good. Seriously, VV with claws or chains words are a lot less scary when they lose a quarter of their hits.

So for me, SG would probably win by my book. Not because BG are bad, but because SG just get so much extra support in our codex, as well as the additional movement that is incredibly useful in game.