Redemptor dreadnought problems

Leonaides

So, I'm having issues with an opponent with a nasty block of firepower in our games. 2 redemptors with macro-plas cannons, backed up by master of the forge and that lot usually has a block of bladeguard nearby. Using ultramarine descendant chapter tactics giving him 3 units to redeploy before first turn and supporting fire overwatch if I do get close with anything.

I'm hesitant to go down the 'join them to beat them' route of dittoing his list so looking for thoughts on flavourful counter units. At the moment I'm thinking of 3 multi-melta attack bikes, 3 landspeeder tornados with mm/hf and/or possibly a drop pod of devastators with either 4 multimeltas or 2 mm/2 grav cannons. While the general tactic of hammering the dreads with overwhelming firepower isn't too much of a question, I'd like to maintain at least some mobility and blood angel flavour.

To that end, unit suggestions please? I have a pretty comprehensive availability pool so feel free to go wild.

Suppressors and Whirlwinds might work well for negating Overwatch. A load of Jump infantry and some anti overwatch gear, with a couple of Land Speeders for buffs to whirlies and melta support could work, but honestly seems tough.

Maybe some Eliminators to kill the tech support, and some Predator Annihilators for the dreads? Preds are good for mobile anti-armour work.

Just spitballing. Good luck.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Melta is definitely the right tool for the job in this case. Wounding on 3s, negating saves and minimising the benefits of Duty Eternal by chucking on a large number of wounds per hit.

While Red Thirst gives our melee weapons a bit more bite, Duty Eternal halves the effectiveness of Power Fists, Encarmine Weapons and MC Power weapons. Even Thunder hammers lose some of their oomph in the face of a Dreadnought.

If you really want to tangle with them BA-style then the best unit is probably VanVets with Claws and Shields. Lightning Claws get extra attacks, wound Redemptors on a 4+ with rerolls and laugh in the face of Duty Eternal. The Storm Shields also minimise the damage those Redemptor fists will do. Even just a squad of 5 will do 5-6 wounds on the charge while only losing 1-2 models in return. That is assuming no buffs and not in the Assault Doctrine. As soon as you start putting buff on, the damage output will start to climb and you can probably bracket a Dread in a single round of combat. Captain rerolls, Quake Bolts, Litany of Hate, Unleash Rage and a Master Crafted Thunder Hammer for the Serg will all significantly increase the damage output of the squad.

Being in melee also negates those plasma cannons since even vehicles can't fire Blast weapons into melee and they can't withdraw without losing a turn's firing.

Having said that, you are still looking at a lot of moving parts to get a good kill with VanVets. Some fast moving melta will probably be easier, even if it is less exciting.