Oll Persson working on Paleolithic Les Eyzies cave art

Just123456

What would you all think of a story where Oll Persson works on a lot of the Paleolithic Les Eyzies cave art with a man named Giraud, Giraud's girlfriend, his best friend and brother and one day a bear mauled and slaughtered Giraud and Oll Persson paid his respects before leaving? Oll Persson migrated from Iraq in the Middle East to Europe when his native group banished him after they realized he did not grow old and was unable to die.

What can I do to improve the story?

I think the best thing to do to improve it, is to make it more 40k(ish) relevant.  At the moment we have a very tenuous link to the setting, which could serve to be strengthened.  You could easily do this by altering it to make the cave paintings on a world from Oll's travels amongst the stars, and changing the bear to some kind of alien beast, perhaps a small clutch of Gretchin or something.

You could even tie this in to Dan Abnett's Horus Rising, where the map of Old Terra found by the Luna Wolves was left by Oll and his buddies before he cleared out.  You could then put as much or as little of your own story over this as you liked.

If you don't want to do that, you're going to have to tie the story in to some other point during the time of Old Earth, or Old Night (etc) to keep it close to board approved content.

Warhammer as a setting is for entertainment. As is every other fictional setting. That is the same with my story.

And humans of the Upper Paleolithic were as intelligent as we are and basically were us, especially given the cave art and figurines they had.

Edited by Just123456

• 2 weeks later...

However much I like Oll (at least as a character, but not so much all of his storylines in the HH), I think you are skating on thin ice by using a very active character as the center of your story ideas. You run a huge risk of making many of your story ideas irrelevant or simply invalid). Now, if you're hellbent to go with it anyway, then do so. I also think that by placing Oll at the center of or witness to just about everything since the beginning of time will give him a Mary Sue quality that very very few people are going to appreciate.

I'm not trying to knock the wind out of your sails here, just pointing out some barriers you are probably going to be facing.

However much I like Oll (at least as a character, but not so much all of his storylines in the HH), I think you are skating on thin ice by using a very active character as the center of your story ideas. You run a huge risk of making many of your story ideas irrelevant or simply invalid). Now, if you're hellbent to go with it anyway, then do so. I also think that by placing Oll at the center of or witness to just about everything since the beginning of time will give him a Mary Sue quality that very very few people are going to appreciate.

I'm not trying to knock the wind out of your sails here, just pointing out some barriers you are probably going to be facing.

What would you think of the Eldar training Oll Persson in their martial arts and arts of war? Eldar Harlequins can speed blitz hundreds of elite Imperial soldiers with a sword SOLO as the Throneworld novel shows and Solitaires would casually rip apart almost every Astartes and almost every Imperial warrior. Why would they train a human? The Eldar chose to make an exception since Oll Persson is a Perpetual and the oldest Perpetual. Edited by Just123456

And I won't have Oll Persson at the center of everything in human history. He would not know about Abraham Lincoln and George Washington since he was not in America at the time. And Oll Persson would not know Caesar but did serve in the Roman military and did not know Alexander of Macedonia. I would have Oll Persson mostly not do anything notable in history, but do a few remarkable things in the Upper Paleolithic. Edited by Just123456

• 3 months later...

In my mind, this concept would work best as a flashback, juxtaposing some event set during the "modern" WH40K era (Great Crusade and later) with something similar that happened in the distant past. Or perhaps Oll Persson revisits the cave upon one of his returns to Terra and recalls the events you describe.

Realistically, Oll Persson would know about any suitably famous historical person. He might not have actually met most, but he would at least be aware of them and their impact on history.

I wouldn't try to create any significant additions to his lore, especially something like being trained in Aeldari combat methods.