Sword brethren loadout

Some things that SB have going for them that makes them a worthwhile unit

• They ignore passions
  • You can combat squad them so you can have 2x of the special weapons that are worth taking (TH and LC) in one squad
  • They have an exploding 6s strat which is really good
  • They are cheap for what they do
  • They are all Sword Brethren

Why is this last point important? Because there are several things that trigger off of being a Sgt/SB, notably Champion of Feasts and Revered Repositories. This means that unlike other squads you can give one guy the Feast strat, like say a TH. And another a relic like the Sword of Judgment or MC weapon(LC is a good option here) You can then further buff another model with a Relic Bearer upgrade to further increase damage output. 

Have the rules spilled somewhere? How do people know what they can do now?

Codex reviews are out now and some sellers have gotten the box early.

I have the book already. They are on a weird space where I cant say what to do with them but I think they WILL find their space in lists. 111 points for 5 guys with 4 chainswords and one double claw seems okay to me. I think they are a MUST HAVE because they ignore passions for example, are cheap and the Stratagem which can make them Obsec Is  B - O - S - S

Some things that SB have going for them that makes them a worthwhile unit

• They ignore passions
  • You can combat squad them so you can have 2x of the special weapons that are worth taking (TH and LC) in one squad
  • They have an exploding 6s strat which is really good
  • They are cheap for what they do
  • They are all Sword Brethren
Why is this last point important? Because there are several things that trigger off of being a Sgt/SB, notably Champion of Feasts and Revered Repositories. This means that unlike other squads you can give one guy the Feast strat, like say a TH. And another a relic like the Sword of Judgment or MC weapon(LC is a good option here) You can then further buff another model with a Relic Bearer upgrade to further increase damage output.

Have the rules spilled somewhere? How do people know what they can do now?

Codex reviews are out now and some sellers have gotten the box early.

I have the book already. They are on a weird space where I cant say what to do with them but I think they WILL find their space in lists. 111 points for 5 guys with 4 chainswords and one double claw seems okay to me. I think they are a MUST HAVE because they ignore passions for example, are cheap and the Stratagem which can make them Obsec Is  B - O - S - S

He said the same.

I don't have the main SM codex so don't have access to the rules for bgv. I'd be grateful if someone could give a brief summary of squad size, options and special rules just out of interest for comparison, appreciating that they fill different roles based on what people have been saying.

I intend to convert some from the SB kit when it is released so it would be good to know what options they have and howany models are in a squad lol

Bladeguard are 3-6, all have 3 Wounds, a damage 2 power sword and storm shields. Giving them a 2+, 4++ profile. They are very tanky and hit hard too, with 3 attacks each and 4 on the Sergeant, with access to some of the relics and strats in the new book, they will be even better.

Its kind of a shame that Sword Brethren didn't become a keyword for veteran units, as them ignoring passions would also be really cool, but I can see why.

Bladeguard are 3-6, all have 3 Wounds, a damage 2 power sword and storm shields. Giving them a 2+, 4++ profile. They are very tanky and hit hard too, with 3 attacks each and 4 on the Sergeant, with access to some of the relics and strats in the new book, they will be even better.

Its kind of a shame that Sword Brethren didn't become a keyword for veteran units, as them ignoring passions would also be really cool, but I can see why.

That's great thanks, definitely going to be converting a full squad from the new SB box then, just need to find some shields.

What are peoples plan for them, I'm gonna have them at 10 man with 8 swords and 2 hammers and go off to fight elite targets on their own. Gonna have my chaplain with my big crusader squad. What support are you guys gonna give them if any. Edited by ChargingSoll

What are peoples plan for them, I'm gonna have them at 10 man with 8 swords and 2 hammers and go off to fight elite targets on their own. Gonna have my chaplain with my big crusader squad. What support are you guys gonna give them if any.

No idea yet, but will prolly end up magnetizing them at the shoulders to be able to swap loadouts. The models + BT forgeworld stormshields should also make some nice BGvets

I'll keep 'em separate from BGV myself. Sure it'd be a nice-looking conversion, but BGV are already quite good for a BT aesthetic. Though I am swapping the shields where I can.

What exactly I equip them with will remain to be seen, though I'll magnetize them anyway like the rest of my Templars so far.

Given the number of BGVs, VVs and Terminators I currently have (I've basically got half a Codex-compliant chapter's first company), and the size of my backlog even before this release (three Land Raiders!) I'm probably just going to stick to one box for now, and do them as a display project, rather than worrying too much about loadout.

Any news on the SB box contents apart from the 4 depicted models?

Wargear lets them all take chainswords or powerswords so we should see extras of those in the kit. Additionally it's a 5 person kit and 1 of them can be a Castellan or a Sword Brethren (presumably based on how you build them).

question is what to do with them. I think the only way to play them right now is like MSU concept to play them as often as possible to do actions when you play abhor the witch vow and clearing objectives cheap and in commandphase turn them into obsec

question is what to do with them. I think the only way to play them right now is like MSU concept to play them as often as possible to do actions when you play abhor the witch vow and clearing objectives cheap and in commandphase turn them into obsec

So run them as scalpels, rather than hammers?

the whole codex doesnt work in any way to me. Each little idea I have doesnt work because even sword brethren in primaris crusadersquads dont have access to it.

Except it does? We've already got a whole thread of combos :)

Sure there are some model limitations but all factions have that now or coming soon when kits are updated

Just look at Skitarii, they got limited on special weapons

Edited by Charlo