Sword brethren loadout

I don't know about that; I'm with Charlo.  I think a 5++ is exactly what a Repulsor needs to be in the game.  Have you tried it or played it Medj?  I think it can do some work.

But the question as always is, what could something else do instead? Many better (admittedly non-transport) options lack a native invul save as well, so they're still the better pick with the buff. It is simply too expensive. -150 points would be ridiculous, but -50 would be the bare minimum, really. For the barebones cost of 295 points I'd rather take even two Vindicators with siege shields for 2+ 5++ T8 goodness. Might not transport Sword Brethren or anything else with them, but even so.

Personally I'll just try to Impulsor with MM and see how it goes. I might rather put SB in there than BGV if fielding both at the same time, since the latter are more expensive and thus a bigger loss if the transport blows up with them still in it. Generally likely to lose at least one model from a squad of 5-6 after all, and with my rolls at least three.

There is no other unit or 300 pts that can do what the Repulsor does, which is namely, offer limited immunity to your 5 Eradicators as they fire-and-fade (Devout Push).  Additionally, it has a :cuss-ton of dakka.

There is no other unit or 300 pts that can do what the Repulsor does, which is namely, offer limited immunity to your 5 Eradicators as they fire-and-fade (Devout Push).  Additionally, it has a :censored:-ton of dakka.

Limited being the operative word - chances are you lose the Repulsor AND an Eradicator as the thing blows up, instead of just taking more Eradicators or whatever. Plus they can peek from behind obscuring terrain even without a transport. And there's better sources for the dakka, like Redemptors.

Of course I'm not saying it can't be used and even do well on occasion - but 5++ or not, it's not good for the cost.

There is no other unit or 300 pts that can do what the Repulsor does, which is namely, offer limited immunity to your 5 Eradicators as they fire-and-fade (Devout Push).  Additionally, it has a :censored:-ton of dakka.

Limited being the operative word - chances are you lose the Repulsor AND an Eradicator as the thing blows up, instead of just taking more Eradicators or whatever. Plus they can peek from behind obscuring terrain even without a transport. And there's better sources for the dakka, like Redemptors.

Of course I'm not saying it can't be used and even do well on occasion - but 5++ or not, it's not good for the cost.

Well I intend to put it to the test.  I find it hard to believe that T8, 16 wounds, -1 to hit (smoke) and 5++ is going to evaporate in 1 round of shooting if you're even remotely skilled at deployment.

Well I intend to put it to the test.  I find it hard to believe that T8, 16 wounds, -1 to hit (smoke) and 5++ is going to evaporate in 1 round of shooting if you're even remotely skilled at deployment.

Depends on the terrain of course - but it doesn't really matter if it's one turn or two if the passengers are inside in terms of collateral damage. The unit itself being hidden from the enemy on the long term means you can't put that awsumsauce dakka to use. A 300-point model shouldn't really have to just cower in hiding, but current meta is what it is.

And regardless of all that, to reiterate: if it's not good without 5++ (and it isn't) and there are good units without 5++, the good units will still be better even if it does become decent. It's just that simple. But by all means do try it, I'm not saying not to - it doesn't have to be the best to use it if you have the model anyway. I wouldn't run to the store to buy one just because of 5++, though.

There are other ways to mitigate the amount of incoming fire without "hiding" it .  Paying attention to shooting lanes, angles, and threat ranges (ie, deploying on flank) are all choices you can make to limit the shooting it receives.  If you're supporting with a Techmarine (which I will be), you can always move it back for healing if it takes a pounding, and devout push your eradicators using other terrain for LoS.   The key (for your opponent) with a unit like this is to pop it in 1 turn, before it can withdraw and/or heal and/or allow his own anti-tank to be taken out in a retaliatory strike.  if he fails to do that, you've baited him out and he's in trouble. 

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

Well I intend to put it to the test. I find it hard to believe that T8, 16 wounds, -1 to hit (smoke) and 5++ is going to evaporate in 1 round of shooting if you're even remotely skilled at deployment.

Depends on the terrain of course - but it doesn't really matter if it's one turn or two if the passengers are inside in terms of collateral damage. The unit itself being hidden from the enemy on the long term means you can't put that awsumsauce dakka to use. A 300-point model shouldn't really have to just cower in hiding, but current meta is what it is.

And regardless of all that, to reiterate: if it's not good without 5++ (and it isn't) and there are good units without 5++, the good units will still be better even if it does become decent. It's just that simple. But by all means do try it, I'm not saying not to - it doesn't have to be the best to use it if you have the model anyway. I wouldn't run to the store to buy one just because of 5++, though.

Plus there’s the flip side: what else is in the list that’s surviving because unit X took such-and-such damage? The points hamper options there, but I think it should still be part of the discussion.

Plus there’s the flip side: what else is in the list that’s surviving because unit X took such-and-such damage? The points hamper options there, but I think it should still be part of the discussion.

Sure - but indeed you pay so much for the transport ability. And T8 or not, it's a lot of points per wound for the Repulsor itself. At any rate the same points can be made over and over for each side ad nauseum, so best leave it for the table I reckon. Always a lot of variables, so in some cases it'll work out and in others it doesn't.

• 5 weeks later...

And regardless of all that, to reiterate: if it's not good without 5++ (and it isn't) and there are good units without 5++, the good units will still be better even if it does become decent. It's just that simple.

I'm not completely sure about that point. A 5++ for a T8 vehicle is worth more than a 5++ for an infantry model I'd say. The best anti marine weapons are D2 with medium AP, so you'll probably not even benefit from the 5++ most of the time. The weapons used to fight a T8 vehicle on the other hand have AP -3 to -5, so the 5++ is always worth it.

Edit: Of course Dreadnoughts are probably the best target for a 5++, but you won't run only Dreadnoughts. Add in a Repuslor, and it will be a difficult choice for your opponent.

Edited by Maritn

• 3 weeks later...

Depends what job you want them to do! Arming them up with power weapons is one way.

Another way is to keep them cheap as possible and go max Lightning Claws (so 1 pair for 5-man, 2 pairs for 10-man) and the rest Chainswords, supported by Helbrecht so they're all S5.