Iron Hands - Head of the Gordon & Battle automata

RoadRunna

The Iron Hand ROW Head of the Gorgon allows you to take Battle-Automata (incl Castellax) as an elites choice.

Under the ROW -  all vehicles gain the Blessed Autosimulacra for free.  This rule states that if a vehicle loses a hull point then on a roll of a 6 you regain the lost hull point

Do Castellax taken under this ROW also get Blessed Autosimulacra for free? - they are listed as a Monstrous Creature.

While I am not sure they are a vehicle, if the Castellax were taken with a Praevian then under the Legion Inductees rule for Iron Hands they can be given BA as their legion specific benefit - so while they do not have hull points, it must be taken that this Blessed Autosimulacra applies to wounds also otherwise what is the point in giving this ability to them under the Praevian rules.

Accordingly, my thinking is YES - Battle-Automata count as vehicles for the purpose of BA under this ROW.

Your thoughts?

No, monstrous creatures are most definitely not vehicles and so would not be eligible to receive blessed autosimulacra through the rite of war. Praevians granting automata that wargear through their own set of rules is an effect unique to them and in no way affects how other units behave in the rest of the army.

Unless I'm mistaken, strictly speaking blessed autosimulacra does not actually work on monstrous creatures currently as unlike It Will Not Die, only hull points are referenced in the rules description.

No problem. FWIW, it's almost certainly an oversight from FW to not include wounds in the BA description, and everyone I've played with has accepted it as the RAI interpretation to allow bots to regenerate wounds.

I don't think so. MC are no vehicles and I really disagree with you that this is an oversight. This RoW should buff vehicles which are way worse than MC. If you allow them to get that bonus as well you ruin this idea.

No problem. FWIW, it's almost certainly an oversight from FW to not include wounds in the BA description, and everyone I've played with has accepted it as the RAI interpretation to allow bots to regenerate wounds.

I don't think so. MC are no vehicles and I really disagree with you that this is an oversight. This RoW should buff vehicles which are way worse than MC. If you allow them to get that bonus as well you ruin this idea.

When blessed autosimulacra was first released, it only existed on vehicles. Since then, they've come up as options for battle automata. To my knowledge, they are currently available on

- Iron Hands Castellax bought through a Praevian

- Vulturax squadrons as a regular upgrade

Since these additions came in material released after the red books were printed, I think its likely that the guys on the rules team just never read what exactly the wargear affected and just tacked in onto the units. The alternative would be that they intended to let you buy a piece of wargear that does not affect the unit in any way, which sad to say has happened before with other units so it's not unexpected.

My group decided to allow the automata to use the wargear, but as we see, that interpretation isn't universal so it's always good to discuss with your opponent beforehand.

When blessed autosimulacra was first released, it only existed on vehicles. Since then, they've come up as options for battle automata. To my knowledge, they are currently available on

- Iron Hands Castellax bought through a Praevian

- Vulturax squadrons as a regular upgrade

Since these additions came in material released after the red books were printed, I think its likely that the guys on the rules team just never read what exactly the wargear affected and just tacked in onto the units. The alternative would be that they intended to let you buy a piece of wargear that does not affect the unit in any way, which sad to say has happened before with other units so it's not unexpected.

My group decided to allow the automata to use the wargear, but as we see, that interpretation isn't universal so it's always good to discuss with your opponent beforehand.

I agree on both points. They most definitely don't know their own rules and it is always mandatory to speak with your fellow opponents about such things.