Mayan Themed Astartes

hermanista

How do,

So I'm 100% easily distracted, so after printing out a small Pre-Unification First alegion army over the last few weeks, the other day I started a second project, some Mayan themed marines.

Only the champion is done so far, but having posted him online he seemed quite popular so I thought I'd pop him here too.

I was going to go for him being from the Obsidian Jaguars chapter from the new campaign books, but turns out their scheme is a bit boring - black with white shoulders - that I'm going to try come up with my own scheme instead - not Rainbow Warriors though before anyone asks :)

Anyway, enjoy!

Chris

1UNLURZ.jpeg

Really cool, I like the model you made!

Big fan of Mayan-themed marines here (as should be obvious from my avatar) so here are some ideas that I included in my Deathwatch.

gallery_103048_17086_1213.png

• On the jaguar side there are the Blood Jaguars. They are Flesh Tearer successors and have a good write up here and here, though they have more of an Aztec flavor. Color scheme ranges from mostly black and brown armor, with gold/yellow trim and elements.

gallery_103048_17086_18049.png

• Another option is the Brotherhood of the Midnight Sun. They are another fan-made chapter that I discovered prior to assembling my deathwatch force, potentially of heretical Night Lords lineage. They are from a homeworld called Xibalba (the Mayan name for the underworld) and their writeup is here. Color scheme is also black, with blue-green-turquoise details and elements.

gallery_103048_17086_76990.png

• A third option is the Sun Serpents, whose fan made wiki page is here. They seem to have an Aztec theme, with an alleged Salamanders succession. Their color scheme is blue armor, and the picture has a yellow helmet and lots of feathers.

Looks great. I think smoke frog has some really good.imput. you could always go a bit deeper in the Mayan lore such as like calling them the Balaam Legion (Balaam is mayan for jaguar). Or if you get stuck you can use these possible names:

blue barracudas,

Purple monkeys

Red jaguars

Silver snakes

(Bonus points Iif you can guess where these are from, lol)

• 3 weeks later...

How do,

Also after a bit of a break, work, life, playing an event with my knights and now day 6 of Covid (unreleased to the event) I've jumped back to working on the Mayans.

Have started to test a sea-green colour scheme for them and built some more models, including the High Priest of the chapter.

As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

MbbgYaq.jpeg

BF7xxwT.jpeg

34E2Zfx.jpeg

WFG3iaP.jpeg

Grailkeeper - Turquoise and terracotta is happening, alongside bone and a dark gold I think. We'll see when I get to the painting stage :)

Everyone - Cheers folks, I'm enjoying it so far, enough that I might get further than normal with this project :)

And on that front, including the additional Templar characters that won't be needed for the Iron Hands styled list I'm building the force is looking a lot more solid now.

Infiltrators and Devastators to do on the troops side of things, then onto the vehicles - all the dreads...

Enjoy!

QVILigP.jpeg

8tyIWWa.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...