Doghouse and the great and all powerful STC

Doghouse

So...bit of a story and a quick disclaimer before plodding on down the rabbit hole here.

I'm not sure where we all stand with STL distribution and GW IP so I won't be able to share the files I have made for now as I really do not want to get slapped around the head by GW people. You can, however, find a lot of the parts I have used or modified on Cults3D but hunting around.

So back to the story.

I was contacted a while back by a chap who wanted help with proportions and scaling for some truescale models and I agreed and many emails went back and forth like I have with so many others wanting help with projects. We spoke about Astartes, vehicles, all sort of weapons and gear and it became a fun little project. Then one day he asks if I can check the models in person and being the trusting chap I am I said sure pop a couple in the post and I'll take a look for you.

A couple of weeks go by and nothing really emerges and I don't get any email replies so I figure well onto the next thing and then a large box appears marked from the Ukraine. Now I wasn't due another shipment of weapons grade plutonium for a few more weeks so I carefully cut off the masses of tape and opened the box.

Inside wasn't just a couple of marines it was about a company of Mk V armour with six truescale Contemptor kits and I was a bit surprised to say the least.

So after playing around with the kits and dreaming of finally having my truescale Heresy army I began to have some issues. While they were beautifully printed they were limted in that they had no bolters or equipment so I ended up sourcing parts from the likes of Ebay and converting them to other marks till I thought you know what I'm getting a printer!

So flash forward after a lot of researching and I am now  the proud owner of the Elegoo Saturn. Printers are daunting, I read everything, I researched everything and got everything I could need which luckily proved to be a time saver as it didn't come with any resin. Really easy to use but a bit messy and if you get one be careful with the fep film in the resin tray. I had mine up and printing in 30 minutes so I was a bit shocked at how simple it was.

These are the original models I was sent that I began converting, these destined to become a Heresy army once I get the truescale vehicles sorted. They are a little shorter being around Primaris scale but look really nice.

P1010535

P1010529 (2)

P1010531

As you can see I've done a bit of chopping and GSing which was fun but we live in the future now and I want to make things ready to go and have a jetpack/flying car.

About a week of testing, messing around in Blender and sourcing parts from the xenos construct known as the World Wide Webway I made some progress and have reached a point where I am happy enough to start making a small force.

There were a LOT of mutated misformed and heretical monstrosities that were produced that would rival the works of the Biologicus Adepts of the Cursed Founding. Failed prints, massively miscaled part, it wasn't pretty but this is where I am now.

P1010533

So these are scaled to be around 2.3 metres in height when compared to a plastic Guardsman. The Contemptor stands at 4.5 metres all which I have sourced from various Forge Worlds. Let's just say Rhinos are actually quite massive in person...

I'm not really going for realism as I tried that and I got the monsters I will never speak of again...I'm going for more credible. These guys will be part of the Great Crusade so prior to the Heresy and I will be starting small. I am going to be making fourteen Astartes (in 40k terms firstborn Lieutenant and ten marines) which will represent a small garrison on the fringes of Imperial space along with a Remembrancer and her bodyguard using the ruels for Inquisitors to represent her.

The idea I am toying around with is that a small force of Imperial Fists is stationed on a newly compliant world and is being used as a first deployment for newly made Imperial Fists where they tutored by four veterans of the Howling Gyre Wars. The planet population numbers in the billions so you have this situation where you have a handful of Astartes overseeing an entire world being vastly outnumbered.

I may do this as a modern 40k force and have the Remembrancer something Guilliman has instructed to happen, not sure yet. I have lots of crazy ideas from my months long break so we'll see.

I'm aiming for a patrol to begin with, so ten marines, three company veterans, a Contemptor and two Rhinos. This will be a tag on force for a larger Kreig styled army of regular Imperial Army. 

In Heresy terms Astartes should be numerous but in 40k terms I feel that because of the nature of the tabletop game marines are heavily overly represented. Given their numbers I would expect it far more likely you'd get handfuls of Astartes assigned to help other Imperial forces in more modern 40k, the reaction to their presence being like the way Titus turns up in the Space Marine 2 trailer so they are far more impactful.

Anyways, hopefully this will be updated over the next few days as I come to grips with my printer.

Glory to the Omnissiah.

P1010536

"Now stay close Jeremy and remember to hold my hand if we have to cross the road..." No this isn't bring a Neophyte to work day but me dabbling with 1:100 so I have an option to go full on Horus Heresy how it should be played with huge armies and titans striding around!

P1010537

Lastly just a scale shot of the first two models and their dreadnought.

P1010532

Thanks mate! :)

So a bit more for the pile. I ran out of the resin I was using and made the move to use some clear red I had gotten. It worked a lot better to be honest and I had fewer problems with print fails.

P1010542

These guys are nice Arcadia Rifles I think they were called and I picked them up off of Cults3d. They are pretty much versions of the old school metal stormtroopers, they are not bad a fit for the plastic Krieg and these will be body guards for the Remembrancer.
The Remembrancer herself is one of the fantastic Great Grimoire models which I think are really nice. I'm going to use her as an Inquisitor but will imply she is possibly an Imperial agent of some kind. Her weapons will be mounted on Servo Skulls.
I have an interesting idea which is pretty far out there that might be interesting. :D

P1010541

P1010540

P1010539

P1010538

Got a couple of MkIV Castaferrums on the go at the moment so more probably tomorrow.

As usual I see Doghouse, and I subbed before I even read the first post. :lol

Everythings looking good so far, but I do wanna see the misprint minis, I need to see your abominations. :lol

Slaves to Darkness: Thanks mate, I'll see if I can bring myself to post them. :D  One of them should be interesting when I get around to fixing the model, a WWII style project x where out of desperation a scientist during the Heresy gives Thunder Warriors the Astartes treatment and is sent to find Curze. Imagine Ogryns in mkII armour. :D

Danny Cyanide: Thanks :) Yeah these things are going to impact our hobby for sure, I am still getting to grips but it's so simple to operate and the only limits are my imagination. It's perfect for someone like me that is narrative driven.

Danny Cyanide: Most definitely, same for Epic as I've seen some fantastic Heresy Epic armies.

Slave to Darkness: Here you go mate.

So first off it was about the evolution of the marines and learning what works on screen and in print. Proportions on the screen didn't translate as well as I had hoped and I ended up with elongated legs and short arms and torso. The heads were difficult to scale as well as my brain was trying to proportion them like normal humans but marines don't work that way.

So first off I decided I want to do Great Crusade so Mk II to Mk IV. The first idea was Mk II because it is so iconic and one of my favourites but the arms were too small and legs too long so I moved onto the Mk IV and hit similar issues before it evolved into my current guys.

P1010546

One of the more weirder (but not weirdest) is this idea of scientists and former prisoners taken during the Unification Wars who worked with dark technologies and are now put to work for the Imperium in it's most desperate hour.

The first one was a scientist that worked on the Astartes project but had theories about Thunder Warriors that had been dismissed at first. As things get bad and Horus' forces approach Terra she is ordered to go ahead with her project. So the idea is she is trying to create Primarch killers, absolute monsters that have no place on civilised worlds.

The plan was to scale them up and put them in Mk II armour slightly modified with cameras and the like so they can be monitored then have them lead by proper Astartes who were loyalists from the traitor Legions. The goal being to hunt down Curze and while they eventually fail in their mission they do pass the Primarch's location on to the Assassins who take him out.

I will take another bash at these guys but need to clean them up and get the proportions right, maybe give them bare arms. In 40k games they'd be Heavy Intercessor proxies. 

P1010544

P1010549

P1010545

I am a simple man. I see a thread started by Doghouse and I click like.

I logged on today and found that my computer had already opened the page, liked the content, and had followed on my behalf. It's just the natural order of the world taking place. 

I also suspect that 3D printers were invented for the sole purpose of allowing Doghouse to create truescale marines as simply and quickly as possible. :biggrin.:

ABSOLUTELY EPIC!!! been following your stuff since you pioneered making truescale marines ages ago and im super stoked to see another twisted resin magos join our ranks lol. I recently got a Mars 2 Pro for xmas and have been dabbling with getting my settings sorted out which was the biggest part besides getting used to working with this kind of resin speaking of which im more than happy to chat settings and the like if you ever need someone to bounce ideas off. One of the big key things ive found is how important washing is when printing stuff at the scale we are making sure you wash about twice as long as you think you need to before post curing can help with those kinda milky shiny lines in the visors and grills and things cuz often thats caused by uncured resin traped in those little voids that then jacks up your details during the final bake if you havent gotten one already id highly highly recommend getting one of the wash cure stations and try out the Elegoo water washable resin ive had really good luck with the combo as i can spray off the models before they even go in the bath just using tap water which is generally much cheaper than IPA . Anywho cant wait to see the force come together man awesome work as always>

Wulf Vengis: Thank you, I will do my best not to disappoint. :)

PyroClast-91*: Well thank you for the kind words. I'm still playing around this printer but much like yourself  having fun exploring although I am still using the basic settings. I have tried the washable resin but so far the most reliable seems to be clear red followed by standard grey.

What I do is use a pickle strainer like this one for cleaning:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09GRR1MRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works quite well but I may have to try out the kind of cleaning station you are talking about, anything to make life easier! :D I definitely have got the printing bug and I am currently dividing up any free moments I can to load it up and get it running.

Scott_K: The first ones will be Rhinos because it's one of the most iconic vehicles to me but I will do others.

Domhnall: Excellent my sentient virus is working as planned, now just a few tweeks then world domination! 

jaxom: Thanks mate! :)

Paladin7221: Thanks! :)

Ok so prints are running currently so with any luck I'll be posting Mk6 marines in couple of hours.

I mean, having started my biggerised marines inspired by your work previously, if this or any other HH styled bits I've collected could help, give us a shout.

CQ8k6st.jpeg

Is that a biggerised  Rhino?? :O 

Aye, both Rhino and Marines are printed at 130/120%

So they are on 40mm bases, and huge :)

I mean, having started my biggerised marines inspired by your work previously, if this or any other HH styled bits I've collected could help, give us a shout.

CQ8k6st.jpeg

Is that a biggerised Rhino?? :O

@Doghouse - perchance were these models from Ukraine labelled as coming from Tortuga Bay?

I got a box of Truescale Mk III from them and they are good sculpts. I was pointed their way after seeing that Augustus b'Raass used them in his scratch build thread.

Hermanista: Thanks mate, if I get stuck for files I will certainly let you know :smile.: You should get back onto that thread as I was following it with interest.

Machine God: I do have the Tortuga ones but these are not those. It looks like he tooks some files off of a few sites and rescaled them. They are quite close to the original plastics in design.

So the Mk6 have printed now and...well...I'm not a fan of the job I did on the legs. I think I was rushing it and I've also found I've changed scale on some pieces somehow. All part of the learning curve though and hopefully I will look back in six months and have a better understanding of making these guys.

P1010554

Mk6 legs are extremely impractical to move about, I'm not sure what it is but I didn't enjoy making these and they feel like cricket pads even though the armour is one of my favourites.

So for now and the initial patrol I want to make I will be using a mix of the best bits, so Mk IV and Mk VI possibly as prototypes given the force will be set late Great Crusade. I will probably add more details and even some GS work.

P1010553

P1010552

P1010556