Primaris Champion

CCE1981

So Warhammer-Community dropped the Primaris Company Champion: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/14/here-are-this-years-exclusive-event-miniatures-and-how-to-get-them/

Looks like GW sniped my idea with the elbow fins on Elite units. In my case Custodes Saggitarrum Helmets and arms. He looks cool, but why are they releasing him for Legends only? That seems like a bunch of wasted development.

So Warhammer-Community dropped the Primaris Company Champion: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/14/here-are-this-years-exclusive-event-miniatures-and-how-to-get-them/

Looks like GW sniped my idea with the elbow fins on Elite units. In my case Custodes Saggitarrum Helmets and arms. He looks cool, but why are they releasing him for Legends only? That seems like a bunch of wasted development.

Beautiful sculpt for a primaris company champion. Looks to have decent kit-bash potential too!

With an agreeable opponent you can always give him +1 wound and +1 attack compared to the current company champion entry,  and run him truly as a primaris company champion? What would be a fair point increase for doing that? I know its not "official" but in a clinch....

The only for Legends sorta stinks, but I guess its because he is more limited in availability?

He has to be legends only while he's only available as an event miniature. Otherwise, only people that go to 'the events' can have access to that dude (besides that they could convert one).

Hopefully in the next iteration, they get all the command squad stuff right for Primaris, with perhaps Veteran Intercessors being converted into some sort of Company Veteran squad.

I'm not quite a fan of the stances though, after they've just gotten done with the trend of turning unit and weapon abilities into strategems.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

He has to be legends only while he's only available as an event miniature. Otherwise, only people that go to 'the events' can have access to that dude (besides that they could convert one).

Hopefully in the next iteration, they get all the command squad stuff right for Primaris, with perhaps Veteran Intercessors being converted into some sort of Company Veteran squad.

I'm not quite a fan of the stances though, after they've just gotten done with the trend of turning unit and weapon abilities into strategems.

Seems like a good opportunity for them to try a few things to spice up marines again. The Gravis Captain has paved the way. I welcome it, as I do anything that can add choice and character to my army.

Seems like a good opportunity for them to try a few things to spice up marines again. The Gravis Captain has paved the way. I welcome it, as I do anything that can add choice and character to my army.

I don't mind it in concept, but that they're just coming off of stripping abilities off of other peoples throughout 9E and moving them to strategems (including SM units, looking at you Smoke Launchers) is kind of :dry.:

Not something I generally approve of.

Regardless, hopefully when this formalized in, the stances are something they add all across Champions. Just for sanity sake, don't really want to see different Champions (Deathwing Champion, Ravenwing Champion, Primaris Champion, Champion, etc.) all have different stuff there.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Looks nice, I always like the rules for the champion. I thought it was a same their wasn't a primaris version, who could rude an impulsor.

Now that is solved! I hope he gets an extra attack and wound over the firstborn version, upgrade him to company champion, give him the blade of triumph and imperium's sword. Then go to town, rocking 8 S8 attacks at D3.

For sure, he will move into the regular rules once they release a model that people can just buy rather than find at events.

And also not a fan of stances. Feels like someone on the rules team had a Good Idea TM and now we will see it everywhere for a while. Just seems like more bloat.

For sure, he will move into the regular rules once they release a model that people can just buy rather than find at events.

And also not a fan of stances. Feels like someone on the rules team had a Good Idea TM and now we will see it everywhere for a while. Just seems like more bloat.

The thing will really make or break it as bloat is if each champion type has different stances, each captain has different ability, etc.

Hopefully, it's something more on the lines of matching like Chaos icons or some other rule like that, and there's like 5 of them you can buy as an upgrade for a character.

But yeah, each character being in different modes and all is just going to be annoying to keep track of.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

But yeah, each character being in different modes and all is just going to be annoying to keep track of.

Annoying or not, it could be something they are planning to sell you some tokens of or something, so they may think it’s a great idea to keep milking across the ranges.  We’ll have to see how the rules expand.  I don’t think the stances are necessary for a 40K game just like different power weapon types are unnecessary, but would make for very interesting things to include (on both counts) for something skirmish scale.

Yep. Really hoping this does not proliferate across all basic characters.

-

I doubt it… stances are typical for this type of character. Also if it’s beneficial why even worry? As an example Helbrecht has a sweep attack mode which is covered in the stats for his sword — it’s not difficult to understand imo .

It's not difficult to understand, but if every character ends up in an alterable state, that's just a lot of book keeping and is really just poor rule design for that reason.

Annoying or not, it could be something they are planning to sell you some tokens of or something, so they may think it’s a great idea to keep milking across the ranges.  We’ll have to see how the rules expand.  I don’t think the stances are necessary for a 40K game just like different power weapon types are unnecessary, but would make for vary interesting things to include (on both counts) for something skirmish scale.

I can already see them selling that, like they had the Combat Doctrine cards, although those I think at least came with WD.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I actually like this miniature. Whats stupid is they pick what should be a unit and not the usual sarge/ltlcpt etc as the limited character. So, what are they going to have a different company champ or will they recycle this robbing it of being a limited run miniature? 

Have they ever put what was advertised as a limited-run mini into general release? About the closest would be going MTO with Lt Amulius, and that was just to make up for the folks who otherwise would have missed picking him up at Adepticon 2020, which was supposed to be his sendoff.

No, I think there'll just be a general release version, possibly as early as this summer/fall. Said general-release model might even come with a Combat Shield or other weapons options. I would expect that if there's a shield option, it would impact the martial stance or otherwise penalize the offensive capability of the unit.

Yep. Really hoping this does not proliferate across all basic characters.

-

I doubt it… stances are typical for this type of character. Also if it’s beneficial why even worry? As an example Helbrecht has a sweep attack mode which is covered in the stats for his sword — it’s not difficult to understand imo .

Not really about understanding - I prefer a more streamlined experience.

If it was just for the Champion in the end, I wouldn't so much mind it. But we already see the other ability on the Gravis Captain as well, so I think this sort of stuff is going to end up on like every character, which is not going to be fun.

the gravis captain stances aren't really stances tbf, its an always on ability locked in by the chosen wargear, where the stances on the custodes guy and presumably this guy are options you can switch between, but they aren't modes, they impact your attacks when making attacks and thats it, no book keeping as you don't need to keep track of who used what, you do it and you move on.

If it was just for the Champion in the end, I wouldn't so much mind it. But we already see the other ability on the Gravis Captain as well, so I think this sort of stuff is going to end up on like every character, which is not going to be fun.

Considering the cost in comparison to say Druhkari and one can assume fairly confidently Aeldari HQs, Giving the point for point less lethal Space Marine characters some enhanced versatility is a pretty minor "buff". I love how it feeds into a narrative fighting feel. Ymmv I guess.

Considering the cost in comparison to say Druhkari and one can assume fairly confidently Aeldari HQs, Giving the point for point less lethal Space Marine characters some enhanced versatility is a pretty minor "buff". I love how it feeds into a narrative fighting feel. Ymmv I guess.

I can understand wanting them stronger perhaps, I just don't want to do a bunch of bookkeeping on every single HQ model, or have every HQ type have some unique power only to it, this Captain gets this bonus, but that Captain datasheet gets that bonus. That's just not good rules design imo.

Regardless, the main thing I'm hoping they do is now that the Command Squad is filled out, they ensure some consistency with the firstborn Command Squad rules, as well as Veteran Intercessors perhaps being the equivalent of Company Veterans, or a Primaris Company Veteran datasheet added.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Warlord Traits, Relics and custom load outs must be a nightmare for you.

These are all "model specific rules" when you boil it right down.

Rik

Not sure what it is about this thread that has people's hackles up about other people not wanting more layers of rules on their characters.

Which is why I said 'regardless' and moved on to talking about another subject (command squad abilities) until others brought it back up.

As for the reason, many people want the increase in power and think we're wanting that held back, even though obviously none of our opinions here will actually have any affect on any likely already written further publication.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion