New mk6 size compared to cataphractii?

Hi,

I’m going to jump back into Horus Heresy with the new starter box and I’m going to make my tactical squads out of the new mk6 plastics.

I would like to do some cataphractii teminators, but from all the photos I’ve seen so far it looks almost as though the mk6 could be taller than the cataphractii if the mk6 stood up straight.

Has anyone seen the models side by side or a photo of a direct comparison? None of the photos I can find show a direct comparison.

Yeah the Cataphracts are scale to the mk 4's, the smallest marines, so they might be shorter than Mk6 but im sure there will be swathes of photos to show that when the box gets out.

They stand face to face with Cataphractii and Tartaros, looks ok I almost prefer it for Tartaros makes them look like just bulkier power armour. Build up the bases a little for the terminators or any older scale models and they blend in the new scale a bit. A few of the newer terminator models will shatter that illusion of course, Imperial Fist and SoH Terminator preators, The Dark angels Cenobium Terminators and Crimson Paladins could be wrong but I think The Blood Angels Preator is also bigger but not as much as the Imperial Fist that guy is just ridiculous.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.

Due to the money cost of resin units I’m unlikely to mix any into my army, so thankfully I won’t have terminators in two sizes.

The big box armies all the content creators have painted look awesome, so I feel like even if the scale isn’t perfect (compared to what I imagine it should be) it should be close enough for me to crack on without it bothering me.

Great shout about the bases. I might cut some slithers of sprue to put under the cataphractii feet as stilts, and then build up my basing texture under them so they’re not floating. There’s so much room for them on the 40mm bases it’ll be able to be done in a subtle way.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.

Due to the money cost of resin units I’m unlikely to mix any into my army, so thankfully I won’t have terminators in two sizes.

The big box armies all the content creators have painted look awesome, so I feel like even if the scale isn’t perfect (compared to what I imagine it should be) it should be close enough for me to crack on without it bothering me.

Great shout about the bases. I might cut some slithers of sprue to put under the cataphractii feet as stilts, and then build up my basing texture under them so they’re not floating. There’s so much room for them on the 40mm bases it’ll be able to be done in a subtle way.

Thin sheets of Cork are a great way to increase the hight of a mini on a base, and it looks good.

Hi,

I’m going to jump back into Horus Heresy with the new starter box and I’m going to make my tactical squads out of the new mk6 plastics.

I would like to do some cataphractii teminators, but from all the photos I’ve seen so far it looks almost as though the mk6 could be taller than the cataphractii if the mk6 stood up straight.

Has anyone seen the models side by side or a photo of a direct comparison? None of the photos I can find show a direct comparison.

Plastic cataphractii are taller. They have the same eye height as primaris intercessor marines. (unlike tartaros, which are quite short). Newer resin cataphractii are generally bigger still, closer to gravis height.

Relic-Terminators-scaled.jpg

Mark 6 is scaled to the new CSM height, which we know is shorter than intercessors. (the extra tall guy is a 3rd party tortuga bay truescale)

ku9HzPd.png

And I did adjust a screenshot from the spartan reveal trailer where they are mixed together to get a direct height comparison.

m0aO9fb.png

That all said - there's various options to make the plastic cataphractii that bit taller, and bring them more in line with the newest resin ones, as well as making the height advantage over mark 6 that bit greater. The simplest ones are to hide a layer of greenstuff in the waist joint, and cork or plasticard under the feet as mentioned. Cutting up the legs to add spacers is probably more trouble than it's worth!

Edited by Arkhanist

Thanks for the photo with the lines for height comparison. So long as the mk6 aren’t taller than the cataphractii it’ll all sit well enough with me. I might still use a base spacer to increase the height of the cataphractii. I’m also interested in the waist spacer idea, would a blob of green stuff hold the top and bottom of the model together securely? Thanks again.

Thanks for the photo with the lines for height comparison. So long as the mk6 aren’t taller than the cataphractii it’ll all sit well enough with me. I might still use a base spacer to increase the height of the cataphractii. I’m also interested in the waist spacer idea, would a blob of green stuff hold the top and bottom of the model together securely? Thanks again.

Green stuff alone can hold the two halves together, but it's not super strong. My usual technique for making marines taller is to put a small blob in the dish shaped bit in the torso, then press it down onto the legs so the pose looks right (add or remove GS as needed). I remove any small amount that's squeezed past the belt with a craft knife. Then remove the legs, and set aside. Once the greenstuff has fully hardened (4-5 hours), you can then glue the legs back with superglue and get a nice solid joint.

As usual with green stuff, if you let it cure for a bit after mixing (I usually give it 20-30 minutes or so) it will be a lot less sticky, and easier to mould without tearing apart when you remove the legs having used them to press a layer into the torso.

If you add a lot of height this way, it can leave the torso and belt looking a little odd, which you can cover up with pouches, grenades etc; but you can add a mm or so without issue.