Painting a small tournament list - Dark Angels successors

Hey there all,

I'm not very good at finishing armies, and I don't enjoy painting them very much - so figured I'd make a thread and hopefully keep myself accountable, as well as having a nice gallery once I'm done. 

A local store is having a 1,000 point 40k tournament in November, and I wanted to get through my backlog of unpainted models. I also really wanted to use the new Baal Red and Bad Moon Yellow paints because I love how vibrant they are, even if they are more like base paints than contrast. Between an old metal Chaplain model, a bunch of Cataphractii terminators unpainted from my Age of Darkness box and some Bladeguard I can strip and repaint, I had a competent Deathwing force available. I've ordered some bits to make a terminator into an Apothecary, and so all that's left to do is paint them. 

RH9i5vR.jpeg

First down were the Bladeguard - real happy with how the gold turned out, the red is a bit flat. Once I've finished the army I may come back and panel-line all the red armour, but my first priority is actually painting everything. 

Kl6pi9b.jpeg

And second done was my chaplain. When I was a kid I had a traditional DA army that I loved, and this model was the first thing I painted for it. A helpful GW staff member helped me put a jump pack on him, and I ended up using him in several School League events. I was worried before I started painting him that there would be too much yellow, but honestly I love how much he stands out.

I still haven't settled on a name for my chapter - my first thought was something like "Knights Repugnant," but that just makes them sound like Nurgle worshippers. "Knights Revenant" was the next idea but...eh. Any suggestions would be great! Will be spending today listening to the Stranger Things soundtrack and building my first squad of relic terminators!

Edited by EllieBenelli

Got my first five relic terminators built and basecoated, with the first one done!

7dU19df.jpeg

Kinda annoying that the transfers I have don't fit on Cataphractii pauldrons, but I'll source some more at some point. Otherwise, was fine to paint - quicker than doing a Bladeguard, which is handy as I have 14 more of them to do. I'm gonna do the remaining four I have built in a batch, probably in two sessions - the red, and then everything else. 

Edited by EllieBenelli

Tough week IRL, but proud of my painting progress. Didn't end up batch painting the terminators because it was boring, but I did manage to do them one at a time. Got it down to around 70 minutes a model, which is a great speed to do them at - means roughly 12 hours of painting Cataphractii left

yrG9sPf.jpeg

Here's the squad done! Love both of the 30k terminator armours. Cataphractii look brutal, and scale-wise they're perfect alongside the Bladeguard

sK6POvX.jpeg

And a family shot of the army so far. Next model I'm painting is an apothecary, which will bring it up to 3 elite slots and thus a legal army!

Edited by EllieBenelli

Thank you very much Helias, Jaxom and Raziel! I'm not doing great work, but I appreciate the messages - really helps keep me on track

Today I stripped the three Bladeguard and the apothecary, and got the space doctor painted!

IUYcSy6.jpeg

OL07aBz.jpeg

hQ9H2UB.jpeg

I thought the base model from when I started the hobby in the mid-2000s, but the plastic was blue which means I *think* it was from the Revell Built+Paint line that came out in...2016? Around then. I don't remember ever buying one, and I don't remember how I got this guy. Ah well. Been a long time since I stripped a model, but turned out great. I also now have a legal army!

Back to building and painting Cataphractii now, another five of those next.

Edited by EllieBenelli