Grot's Dark Angels: Prepping for Call to Arms

Grotsmasha

Painting the shield black and the bolter casings red would be a good start.

1. Frame, Wheels, and Tires look to be the same shade of black.
  2. Chest armor.
  3. Headlights.  Outriders headlights can be found just under the cowl near number 4.
  4. These indents can be found all over the model and would be ideal for spot color.
    1. Right below where you have the RW symbol, that bulge is the lower portion of the ammo feed.

image.png.159fa3f5bf99f69ccf684c8efd8b5bea.png

@ValourousHeart

1- I considered doing the bolter cases in red originally, but backed out. I will be painting the gun shield black, and probably change the gun casings to red.

2- All the armour is Abaddon Black, Wheels are Eshin Grey and washed with Nuln Oil, the difference is subtle in person, more so in the pics

3- Definitely forgot those...

4- I kinda like the black armour and probably won't go for a spot colour.

- Didn't know that, but I will update it to metal also.

Just looking at it a bit bigger mate, how about the chest icons a bit lighter like the vehicle icons??

Basically look for excuses to add lighter bits without going too far off the nice simple palette of black, metal and bone, with a splash of red if needed.

A tad of metal weathering at the front to give it some zoom zoom wouldn't go astray either :wink:

Chest Emblems- I'm going to go with 3/1 Skeleton Horde / Iyanden Yellow over Wraithbone, as this is what I've used for the Aggressors.

I've never been able to do weathering to a level where I don't just paint over it, except in the rarest of cases, and even then it's been terrain/scenery rather than a unit.

21 minutes ago, Chaplain Raeven said:

Great conversion mate! I looks so seemless that I had to look on GW's site to verify it wasn't the original kit. Yours looks alot better than the cute original.

I'm really happy with the conversion itself, and am considering a second one, but I want to pick up a Speeder first to get me to a 10 man squad.

Personally, I would keep the blast shield red. It breaks up a giant block of black. From a few feet away, big dark models are in danger of just looking a little flat without a lot of work. That's just me, I like it.

Great job on the conversion too. When I first saw it I wasn't sure, but you really pulled it off!

@Prot Since I cut up the bikes for the conversion, I have the riders still, with a little work I've managed to make them fit Kromlech's Iron Shark Jetbikes. I'm 1/2 way through painting it and I did the bolters in red, and I think if I do that on the ATV and switch just the shield to black, leaving the gun red it will still look good.

6 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

@Prot Since I cut up the bikes for the conversion, I have the riders still, with a little work I've managed to make them fit Kromlech's Iron Shark Jetbikes. I'm 1/2 way through painting it and I did the bolters in red, and I think if I do that on the ATV and switch just the shield to black, leaving the gun red it will still look good.

Makes sense to me. Honestly, you can't go wrong. The conversion really did go well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to gluing some dudes together,

Belial, not sure if I'll be able to get the third legacy loadout to work, but i'm going to think on it,

large.PSX_20240228_185400.jpg.087beeb0a0

large.PSX_20240228_130305.jpg.2c107bd227

Leviathan Captain and Librarian

large.PSX_20240228_130325.jpg.9e0384a784

Some more Legacy models just 'cause

large.PSX_20240228_130412.jpg.d4928f4f97

large.PSX_20240228_130350.jpg.aa59f2260b

I've decided on Sgt's using DWK bodies,

large.PSX_20240228_130438.jpg.c91574d2f5

and some HW's

large.PSX_20240228_130519.jpg.790bf5e08e

and the 9 standard dudes, 5 of which are the Leviathan guys with the DA pads grafted on,

large.PSX_20240228_130540.jpg.44b3e49047

convieniently, the old DW box componants don't look out of place,

large.PSX_20240228_130605.jpg.bd07256e91

55 minutes ago, Grotsmasha said:

Finally got around to gluing some dudes together,

Belial, not sure if I'll be able to get the third legacy loadout to work, but i'm going to think on it,

large.PSX_20240228_185400.jpg.087beeb0a0

large.PSX_20240228_130305.jpg.2c107bd227

I'm also swapping Belial's head for a Knight helmet.  I can't believe GW didn't already do this.

7 minutes ago, Tacitus said:

I'm also swapping Belial's head for a Knight helmet.  I can't believe GW didn't already do this.

I actually started with the TDA helm from the upgrade sprue, but that didn't really look right either, so I tried the Knights one and it's so much better (it's also magnetised). 

18 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

I actually started with the TDA helm from the upgrade sprue, but that didn't really look right either, so I tried the Knights one and it's so much better (it's also magnetised). 

It just "makes sense" to me.  The First Captain does the usual - Scout - Reserve Dev - Reserve Assault, Battle Dev, Battle Assault, Battle Tactical, Terminator etc - but DA go Terminator, Knight, Captain of the First.  So the last helmet he had was a Knight helmet. 

• 3 months later...