[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

"Two things. Firstly, I understand you made a sale to an acquaintance of mine, a Magos Dreyfuss? I wondered if you could show me what he bought, and if you knew - or even guessed - anything about why he needed it?"

Reynard shrugged again, as if to highlight the simplicity of this request.

"Secondly, I am looking for the datacrypter known as Sebastian Lecroix. Again, no harm intended, I just want to ask him similar questions as I have you. I've heard he might be found somewhere around this part of the Hive?"

Then he grinned.

"Actually, three things. Third, a back way out of here so I'm not troubled by Klaus and co. They looked… unhappy."

Edited by Lysimachus

The Librarium:

"Knowledge is precious, here collated from scraps of lies, half-truths and bitter memory," she speaks and stretches out her left arm, indicating the stacks. "But thy minds are set for one man."

Her hand clasps, and one of the rolls of parchment tugs gently from a clutch, ten shelves up. As she moves, her outer robe folds enough to reveal her sanctuary dagger, the weapon to end her life should the Great Enemy rest attention upon her. Her stave glows with faint light, hidden wards flickering even as the flames in their sconces dance. The scroll tumbles free, dropping to the floor with a shuffling tap of leaves bound in ribbon.

"Biologis Dreyfuss, verily did we honour his summons. The Ward Repulsion, the Ward Detestation, as our kin taught," she speaks directly to Nicios. "Placed upon his threshold, it proved not enough. The scream of his soul echoed even here."

Kelvin's Gallery:

Julo Karthago rocks in his chair.

"Sold him a Tranter-Pryse .577 autoloader, with hi-max shells. Really big gun. Must have been scared as all hell to want that for protection. Stop an Alpha Bullgrox, and the bastard behind it. He wanted a needle rifle and pistol too, large bore. Must have been to put the Grox to sleep before he shot it!" Karthago bursts out laughing.

"I can help you with your exit as well. You can slip out the back, Hyram will show you."

The mercenary nods, satisfied you're not going to cause trouble.

"As for Lecroix, he's a slippery oik. Expensive too. His old man runs a breaker's store. Tech junk, out-of-production parts, that kind of thing. Sector 16, Stratum 3. The store is called LeX, as in you know, Le-croix?" Kathago pronounces the surname with an accent, one an upper hiver might use. "Looks like you're going down."

Falk

Falk watched the exchange unfold, hoping to glean some insight as to the womans motivations but it was hard to pick the intentional riddles from those taught and expected of her past if indeed she was what she indicated.

His gaze travelled beyond the woman, 'to slaughter us' ... the nature of her speach or an inadvertant slip?

Scrutiny, 57 vs target 47 - fail with 1 DoS / opposed with decieve if required

Reynard:

"Indeed it does. Much obliged to you."

Reynard nodded respectfully to Julo and to Hyram, thankful for both the straight answers and the offered assistance. He also made a mental note of the location of LeX. However, he was mostly thinking about Dreyfuss' purchases.

Large bore needle weapons? What kind of ammunition would they fire? He thought he could guess already from Kathago's comment - some sort of injector dart comprising a needle and a liquid reservoir. Perhaps one like the vial Falk had found in Dreyfuss' safe? The Magos had said his serum would defeat the enemy he was facing.

But if that was sufficient, why would he need the Tranter as well? Perhaps for other targets? Or as an intimidation piece, like Reynard's sawn-off? Though from the little he knew of the man, Dreyfuss didn't really seem the type for that kind of bravado.

Unless… what if Kathago had it backwards? What if Dreyfuss' target was so obscenely strong or resilient that even a hit from the massive handgun would only slow it down, but hopefully give the Magos time to use the serum-loaded needler?

Reynard felt an edge of worry creeping in.

"Don't let it get me!" That's what Dreyfuss said. Not 'him'. 'It'.

What the hell had the fool been playing with?

An even more important question, regardless of what 'it' actually was: in sending the vial of serum away with Scourge and Stitches, had they given away the glans argentum, the only thing that would stop this threat?

Reynard had paused for a few moments as he silently pondered. Then he realised Kathago was waiting for him to either say more or leave. As he began to follow Hyram out through the back, he suddenly stopped, remembering there was one final thing he needed.

"Do you have a comm.link that will reach as far up as Rivet City? I need to tell a colleague to meet me at LeX."

Reynard:

"Obliged again."

Reynard stepped over to the terminal and typed out a brief message to be sent to the Factorum. But how to sign off so the Tech-adept knew it was him? He grinned as an amusing idea struck him.

Hmm… something beginning with V…

++LeX, Sector 16, Stratum 3. 2 hours. Vulpine.++

Then he stepped away, looking back once more at Kathago. He smiled.

"You've been remarkably helpful, and not asked for anything yet in return. In truth, that makes me very suspicious."

Kelvin's Gallery:

"Truth is more expensive than firepower around here, lad," Karthago manages to reply between grins. "Just a bit of friendly customer service."

When he sees you standing still, he shrugs.

"Sneak out back, or tough it out front, make your choice." He laces his fingers behind his head, reclining. "But you're not pretty enough to stay all night."

Nicios

"We are Dreyfuss' colleagues. We need to find his killer and deliver the Emperor’s Jusitice to him and any masters he may have. If we do not- many, many more may die."

Nicios moved slightly toward the woman, his hands to his sides and open-handed. He nods to her, "Any help would be appreciated. "

The Librarium:

She nods, her voice becoming hushed. "Many already lie dead. More will join their cohort, 'ere comes the finish. The stone sandcastles crumble in a silent scream, and the Golem seeks the key with stolen hands...Find the Third Daughter. Only she can open the door."

She puts her left hand out, flat, palm down. It slowly quests for Nicios. She takes a few steps forward, the staff sweeping for hazards, before her palm rests on your shoulder.

"But fear, Seeker, fear - for a wild voice cries for the children the Surgeon stole. The Dark Sister serves only her own whim, and heeds not the Light."

She stiffens. "I can feel a draught...close the door! Close the door!"

Her power lashes out, trying to force it, but the door rebels, as though being pushed from the other side.  There is a horrific scream from Geist's throat, and the lamps and lanterns outside gutter and die, one by one in a shuddering crack of armoured glass. The mist rolls in, but it stinks, a terrible, wretched smell of mortuaries and grave-earth. A ragged, diminutive corpse, hurtles down the corridor outside like a missile, before crunching wetly into a wall.

"To me!" Lady Gwynne cries.

Another figure in pale grey hurries from a long row of stacks, a tall whip-thin man. He too carries a staff, thrusts his hand out, from his lips tumbles the Fourth Invocation of Sanctuary, but his voice begins to drown in the hurricane.

??ThiS iS wHEre yOu'vE bEEn HIDing??...LitTLe RATS...??

The voice is raw, bleeding sharp angles through the words, which slice the gale now storming into the chamber. It comes from...everywhere.

It is obvious the door and threshold are warded, but there is no substitute for a good solid barrier. Nicios may attempt to join the defence held by the Magisters. He must make an Opposed Willpower Test (+10 due to his already raised Psychic defence), or all three PC's can attempt to brute force the door shut with Hard (-20) Strength Tests. You may combine these actions.

These Tests may benefit from assistance. Nicios will especially benefit from the Magisters here, as they will both grant Assistance.

You may also flee. A quick search for an exit on the other side of the room will yield a passage down-hive.

Nicios

"I am the storm of the Emperor’s Will! I am the Judgement of His Law and the Punishment of His Enemies! Those that oppose Him will see His Wrath in inacted in my hands!"

Nicios shouts the Psalm of Castigation. 

Spoiler

WP test

Target- 63 (53 + 10)

Roll- 32

Result= Pass with 3 DoS

Raising his left hand, he strides forth and meshes his will with the other two psykers. 

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Falk

Falks hand moved to his shotgun but the scream from Gheist cast out any notion that this was another ploy, "with me" he shouted to Restal, half dragging the man as he charged down the door. Whether it would be of any concequence to a witches power was uncerntain but from what he had seen of Nicios in the past days the use of brute force seemed far safer than drawing arms.

Strength test +10 with fate point = 28 vs target 23 (33+10-20) - needs an assist

Edited by A.T.

Restal:

Kerr Restal was already turning for the door when the lawman grabbed him by the collar and rushed at the door.

Falk's momentum was wrong, he bounced from the door upon impact. Kerr Restal used his noggin, he grabbed the inner wheel and heaved the portal shut, before thrusting the locking bar home.

Str 26 + 10 (Fate Point) - 20 (Hard difficulty) = 16. Result: 08, Pass 0DoS. Charmed Roll: 10. Fate Point not lost

Edited by Machine God
Tidy up

Bardas- Rivet City

Committing to memory the details Reynard supplied as to where to meet him Bards got up. There was a lot that should be done for the shrine and its inhabitants, more than he could do now.

Bardas begun by seeing to the motors for the door mechanics, securing the shrine would not only help preserve it from potential looting until such time as it could be recovered and reopened, it would also give him privacy and safety while he worked.

Despite the general damage the shrine had suffered it only took a little tinkering to restore the power flow to the overhead lamps, those that had not been damaged by the fighting, and bypass the damage on the door controls. Ponderously, as if reluctant to comply, the doors to the Market drew to a close. In the semi restored light Bards inspected the door they had originally arrived by, it two was sealed and secured. The left up hive was another matter, there was no way to secure it, but as the mechanism was broken it seemed unlikely anybody would be able to approach from that side without his notice.

Going from body to body he checked their identity and then canted a prayer for them. In truth he had neither the theological training nor the skills at proper reclamation of the gifts to honour the fallen in the prescribed way, but at least their spirits could find peace. It was hard to admit, but he was also stalling, for what he knew he had to do next did not sit well with him.

Standing in front of the Magos Bardas started the same cant as for all the other, but added notes of regret and forgiveness to the lament.  One last chance, the choice between Duty and Faith, but waht is each without the other?

Taking up the tool he had gathered from around the shrine Bards begun carefully stripping the Magos, first of cloth, then of flesh. The magos’s gifts were many and complex, and most irrelevant for this, though Bardas still took care to account for each and any connections.

The Magos had data that they needed, and he did not have the skills to reforge the magos, and given the night-time visitor Bardas did not dare trust any who could in the foreseeable future. Locating the datastack itself was not hard, but freeing it without damaging the insides was harder, and so he cut with care. Trimming both organic and metal until at last the stack was free. The data stored inside should stay intact even removed from the host and power, but to play it safe Bardas had cannibalised the spare lasgun power pack to keep a trickle of power flowing to the stack for many hours, days even, yet to come.

Spoiler

Tech Use

Int 34: -10 (dificulty) = 24

D100: 48, Fail, 2 DoF

With everyone's responses in, I'll move things along.  Tro/Bardas required two hours to complete his task, and I will have Lysi/Reynard's comms message come in about an hour into the job. That still means about 106 mins before Tro can link up.

The Librarium:

The pressure door seals with a resounding clang thanks to the efforts of mind and muscle.  The howling gale ceases within, but without, there are terrible sounds of violence. Keening shrieks of something sharp and hard carving metal, thunderous blows of frustrated fists rattle up and down the door, thump against the walls. After long heartbeats, the sound abates, fading as quickly as it came.

Lady Gwynne drops to the floor in a crumpled heap, and the older man rushes to her side, cradling her. "My Lady!"

He shakes her, and she breathes, but slumps into catatonia. He looks up at the ceiling, his eyes boring through it. "Why does the god Emperor torment us so?"

LeX:

Almost an eternity later, Bardas converges on Reynard's commbead ping. Together, Bardas with his burden of guilt and a magos datacore, Reynard watches the outside of the establishment. Patrons come and go, some delivering for sale, others walking out with bits of rusty or half-dismantled junk under their arms a little while later. Nobody arouses suspicion. The shop is built out of corrugated metal, the walls fortified with rail sleepers for posts, cemented into the hive floor.  Down here, more things become ramshackle, as the old storage bays and alleys of the Mechanicum Fabricators who built the hive, give way to people looking to set up home in the darker spaces under the feet and attention of those above.

Numerous little byways and indigenous-constructed alleys run to and around the shop, with the occasional stray canid wandering around, trying to beg bits off the huddled masses. Autoguns and stub pistols give way to lasguns and flintlocks, even bows. This close to the underhive, it is no surprise. Having the shop under observation for so long proves beneficial. You see what looks to be an older man doing most of the trading, the proprietor is in, and his breaks are few.

Reynard:

"...Bardas!"

When the Tech-Adept arrived, Reynard hissed to get his attention. Wrapped in his dark coat and standing motionless in a patch of shadows, he had been quietly watching the comings and goings of customers for almost an hour. He hadn't seen any sign that Kathago had sold them out, or of an ambush being prepared. Maybe the gunsmith was just being helpful?

Sure.

The first thing Reynard had done after Hyram had left him was find a quiet spot to empty the winnings pouch out and search it for any 'extras'. Tracking devices or the like. He hadn't found anything. The bag itself was unremarkable and was tossed away. The coins all seemed genuine, most of them of fairly high value, tens, twenties, and even a few fifty Throne goldmarks. All joined the other money spread amongst his pockets.

Satisfied as far as he could be, he had travelled on towards LeX. From what he had seen once he had arrived, LeCroix senior didn't give off the impression of being a criminal mastermind or much of a threat… but looks were often deceptive. He nodded in greeting as Bardas joined him.

"The shop apparently belongs to the datacrypter's father. Junk dealer. Maybe we use your hunt for your stolen goods as our way in?"

Edited by Lysimachus

Falk

Falks checks to see if the door is truly secure, "are there other entrances?" he demands of the newcomer, "Nicios, report"...

Falling into old habits when confronted with the unknown. He silently prayed that the sound beyond was no more than hive mutations and other dregs though it gave him no comfort to think that even they were now hunting them. The armed mercenaries could be attributed to any number of callous and greed-driven motives but this attack changed things.

Nicios

"Some sort of psychic assault. Possibly nearby...? I will search."

Nicios sends out his mind, searching for the psyker responsible for the attack.

Spoiler

Psyniscience Test

Target- 31

Roll- 81 (Fail). Spend Fate Point for re-roll, 20

Result= Pass, with 1 DoS. 

Range= 3 (PB) + 8, + 3 + 5 (1 DoS) for a total of 19 meters radius

Edited by Lord_Ikka

The Librarium:

The older man gathers the purple cushions, making Lady Gwynne comfortable. He peels back her eyelids and clucks his tongue. "There is another door at the bottom of the stairs at the back of the chamber, sir," he replies to Falk. "But that passes through a small shrine."

Ikka/Nicios ONLY:

Spoiler

As your senses spill out into the room, you sense the glow of your comrades, their souls illuminated by the proximity of the presence which assailed you. Brighter still are the lights of Lady Gwynne and her associates...one, two, three. The latter are below. Smaller sparks flutter beyond that...children.

Your mind passes into the walls and door, feeling the thick clotting of cold blood and deep resonance of warp disturbance. Yet you can go no further without forcing more power. The Magisters haven't lied, there is indeed a ward here, one of protection, reasonably substantial, and another of obfuscation. You can detect similar wards below and around. On vents, the ablutions block, a shrine, portals. They are small, but they are myriad.

This whole place is a sanctuary, not immune from the warp, but invisible to it.

Nicios

"Nothing nearby of any threat to us, psychically." Nicios looks at Falk. "The...attack, if that is what it was, came from farther than I can locate. We should take the scroll and leave."

He motions to the fallen scroll that Lady Gwynne removed from the shelves telepathically. 

"I sense no taint here. Though," he looked at the old man, "I am unsure of precisely what this place is or why it is here."

Nicios sighed I must remember my new duties, not my old ones.. "Still, this place matters not to our objectives. If the attack was from our unknown enemy, then we have learned something. If not, you and the rest of the Magisters may wish to increase your protections."

Walking slowly to the scroll, he bends down and retrieves it. Placing it in his coat, Nicios murmured a quick Telepathica blessing over lady and returned to his companions. 

The Librarium:

The older man looks up. "Sir, I know not what you mean, nor what sin we have committed for this penance. We teach children their letters, protect against mutation and deviance from the Creed..." He shakes his head.

LeX:

The customers begin to thin, and the older man behind the counter finally pulls off an oily apron. He begins to put things away, and eyes the collection of brushes in the corner of his makeshift shop. It appears he is about to close up.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

Reynard saw the old man beginning to close up shop and sighed.

"No time to discuss our strategy. Just follow my lead."

He moved out from the shadows and across the alley. His movements had changed, his step heavy, assured, authoritative, almost a march. He called out as he approached, his voice similarly stern.

"You are Lecroix?"

Edited by Lysimachus