Death Guard Company - 3K Fluffy List

MSEpitaph

SO, here's a list. I've tweaked it a good amount, and tried to strike a balance between purely fluffly choices and competetive choices so I don't just get rolled over every damn game..

I think it's worked out pretty well, and I'm here for any feedback/ideas anyone has!

Legion Rules - Adeptus Astartes (Death Guard)

Allegiance - Traitor

Points - 3000 exactly

Right of War - 2 detachments, one with The Reaping and the other with Creeping Death (it's only written out 'fluff' wise below, but between those two ROWs it' legal, at least I think!)

Mortarion – 425pts

+++COMPANY COMMAND & ANCIENTS+++

Legion Cataphractii Delegatus Centurion “Cariosus Lues” – 120pts

• Delegatus Consul (25)
  • Power Scythe (Free)
  • Toxin Grenades or Melta Bombs (10)

Legion Cataphractii Command Squad “Pestis” – 135pts

• Optio w/Power Fist (10)
  • Tesserarius w/Power Axe (Free)
  • Signifer w/Standard and Power Axe (Free) 

Legion Contemptor Dreadnought “Sayde” – 215pts

• Gravis Chainfist (10)
  • 2 built-in Plasma Blasters (20)
  • Havoc Launcher (10)

Legion Contemptor Dreadnought “Palgrim” – 225pts

• 2 Gravis Lascannons (40)
  • Helical Targeting Array (10)

+++1st LINE CENTURY “Malignor”+++

Centurion/Lieutenant “Calceus” – 90pts

• Thunder Hammer (30)
  • Boarding Shield (Free)

1st Legion Tactical Squad “Morbus” – 130pts

• Legion Vexilla (10)
  • Sergeant w/Artificer Armour (10)
  • Sergeant w/Melta Bombs (10)

2nd Legion Tactical Squad “Galeam” – 130pts

• See above

3rd Legion Tactical Squad “Nidor” – 130pts

• See above

4th Legion Tactical Squad “Celer” – 130pts

• See above

5th Legion Tactical Squad “Occultat” – 130pts

• See above

Legion Heavy Support Squad “Nex”  – 170pts

• Multi-meltas or Lascannons (50)
  • Auguary Scanner (10)
  • Sergeant w/Artificer Armour (10)

+++2nd SIEGE CENTURY “Malleo’s Own”+++

Centurion/Lieutenant “Malleo” – 115pts

• Siege Breaker Consul (45)
  • Nemesis Bolter (10)

1st Grave Warden Squad “Calceus” – 255pts

• Chainfist (5)

2nd Grave Warden Squad “Gravatus” – 255pts

• Chainfist (5)

Legion Rapier Battery – 80pts

• Quad Launcher (20)
  • Phosphex Shells (20)

Legion Heavy Support Squad “Decus”  – 135pts

• Missile Launchers or Autocannons (25)
  • Auguary Scanner (10)

Legion Vindicator – 120pts

+++NOTES+++

• The Delegatus and Command Squad hang around the Tacticals for the Legion Standard aura, focusing anything needing AP2 or enemy Characters.
  • The Thunder Hammer Centurion joins any of the 5 Tactical squads, he’s mostly a fluff character and because I love the model I have to represent him.
  • The Siege Breaker joins the Missile/Autocannon (probably Autocannon) Heavy Support Squad to give them sunder, and uses the Nemesis because it’s better than just standing there.
  • Every other unit should be pretty self-explanatory in it’s goals/strengths in-game.
  • I’ll probably give the 1st Support Squad Lascannons, it’s just that Multi-meltas are a fluffier choice is all, hence the indecisiveness! Similarly, I’ll probably give the 2nd Support Squad Autocannons, I just already have the Missile Launcher models. But Autocannons are likely to be much more effective in game right, it depends as always...
Edited by MSEpitaph

Yeah the list would be illegal, while you can have 2 rites of war one for the primary detachment and one for the allied detachment (unless your rite prevents allies), your allied detachment must be from a different legion/faction to the primary detachment so there is no way to have 2 detachments of death guard 

10 hours ago, Eternal Despair said:

Yeah the list would be illegal, while you can have 2 rites of war one for the primary detachment and one for the allied detachment (unless your rite prevents allies), your allied detachment must be from a different legion/faction to the primary detachment so there is no way to have 2 detachments of death guard 

I suppose that’s my curiosity, is that without being allowed to have 2 Crusade Force ‘Primary Detachments’ it’s illegal for sure… but does it explicitly say in the rules that you can’t do that?

I only ask because if anyone’s planning on making 3k+ pts of a single legion then there would be really hard to field it all in a game unless you fill out every single slot on the primary chart, which feels wrong for some armies.  E.g. DG using 3 Fast Attack…

On page 280 under the detachments sub heading, each detachment under the crusade force organisation chart is only ever referred to in the singular and (aside from the singular compulsory primary detachment) as binary choices, you either have a lord of war detachment or you don’t. On top of all that the diagrams illustrating the crusade force org chart on page 281 only ever refers to and displays singular detachments. So while you would be correct it doesn’t explicitly say you can not have 2 primary detachments the language used in the rulebook heavily implies it. 

In regards to your second point it yes you sometimes can find yourself running out of slots at 3K, but I’ve only really found that to be an issue when I’ve happened to take a lot of minimum strength units, considering every tank can be run in squadrons, contemptors can be run in talons of 3 and terminators can be taken in units of 10 there isn’t really a shortage of points dense units to take, the only time where I’ve genuinely been stuck for unit slots is when we’ve played 5k+ games but at that point you’re pretty much playing apocalypse where the force org chart starts to become unnecessary.  Take your army for example, you have a lot of minimum strength barebones tacticals squads, even if you reduced it to 3 20 man squads that opens up 3 slots when running the reaping to take heavy support squads which in turn frees up your heavy support slots. Similarly you can purchase the contemptors in the same force org slot, and they only need to be deployed together after that they’re free to act independently. With a few tweaks it’s very easy to fit your list into a single primary detatchment and ill out your points, all without going near the fast attack slot.