Transport ability of super heavies

Volth

Ok, how about this, and I may have missed something, but....

Sokar has a transport capacity of 52. It also has the rules 'transport bay' and 'auxiliary vehicle bay'. 'Transport Bay' states it can carry dreadnaughts and other such non-infantry units. It specifies each dreadnaught takes up 10 infantry spots. Whereas 'Auxiliary Vehicle Bay' only states that it can carry vehicles of 4starting hull points or less. 

There is no specification of the vehicle takes up any of the infantry space. It seems to imply that it's a separate space, ie Auxiliary vehicle bay... A rhino fits 10 models, and there is no rule saying you can't transport models in a model that itself is being transported.

So, does it now have an effective transport capacity of 64? 52 for the Sokar and 12 for the rhino?!

Why not cram a whole storm eagle in it with its capacity of 22?

I'd argue that auxiliary vehicle bay modifies the unit type that can go in, but leaves the rest of the standard transport capacity rules intact. So that vehicle counts as 1 (even though that dread counts as 10, or the javelin counts as 8).

4 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I'd argue that auxiliary vehicle bay modifies the unit type that can go in, but leaves the rest of the standard transport capacity rules intact. So that vehicle counts as 1 (even though that dread counts as 10, or the javelin counts as 8).

Holy cow, I didn't even realize the storm eagle had 4 hull points and could therefore be transported!

Not sure I fully understand what you mean by it modifying the unit type that can go in. Modify the type of vehicle that could go in?

And sadly, the javelin couldn't go in as it has the anti-grav type applied to it.

Okay, so the normal rules for transport capacity say that only infantry can go in, and each model takes up a slot of transport capacity. Aux vehicle bay gives you permission to have a different unit type embark (vehicles), but doesn't change the amount of transport capacity, meaning they stay at the default 1.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

10 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Thunderhawk Transporter carrying two Storm Eagles?

MADNESS!

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Okay, so the normal rules for transport capacity say that only infantry can go in, and each model takes up a slot of transport capacity. Aux vehicle bay gives you permission to have a different unit type embark (vehicles), but doesn't change the amount of transport capacity, meaning they stay at the default 1.

Having read all this on detail for the first time (I don't generally use transports), it's kind of sadly funny that nothing can transport a primarch.

Primarchs are generally bulky4 which, I believe dictates what they can fit inside for transport. 

How are you seeing them as unable to be transported?

*edit* Ah, infantry transport... no bulky permitted. But then, hiw can terminators go into anything? They're bulky2.

*edit 2* The problem seems to be the rule for infantry transport. This is what doesn't allow bulky to be transported at all. Transport vehicle rules specifically state primarch eligibility and bulky models. Super heavy transport rules actually state they may be able to carry other unit types IN ADDITION to infantry. Thus, the vehicle in the sokar would be in addition to the 52 infantry troop transport! Thus, with a storm Raven, actually allowing it to carry 74 infantry models!!!

Incidentally, I can't find the rules for the reinforced vehicle subtype, as the land raider spartan has it. Anyone else know where to look for that?

Edited by Inquisitor Verhek

17 minutes ago, Inquisitor Verhek said:

Primarchs are generally bulky4 which, I believe dictates what they can fit inside for transport. 

How are you seeing them as unable to be transported?

*edit* Ah, infantry transport... no bulky permitted. But then, hiw can terminators go into anything? They're bulky2.

K so I definitely fumbled reading the transport rules, so I'll try and clarify lol.

The core rules say one infantry unit and/or any amount of independant characters with infantry/primarch can be carried.

Further down it says only infantry can embark. 

So RAW, you can start a primarch in a transport (has permission to be carried), but once they're out, they're out (does not have permission to embark on it).

The infantry transport special rule is separate, and only on rhinos iirc. The larger transports allow bulky models. 

You're right. For some reason I was adding that rule in for some stupid reason whenever I read another transport vehicle.

You are right about embarking. Annoyingly stupid.

On the plus side, a sokar can carry nearly an entire company! 74 models worth, plus a storm Raven! I find it amusing that it can use any access point to disembark. Or any part of the hull, since it's coming from a non-based model.

What is a reinforced vehicle type?

2 hours ago, Cactus said:

Reinforced is a vehicle sub-type. Land raiders and spartans have it but I can't recall if it's in the core rules or the Liber.

That's just it, I couldn't find anything on it at all. Neither of the books had it that I could find. Only that vehicles like the spartan had it in it's sub-type.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 12:11 AM, SkimaskMohawk said:

These new transport rules are totally half-baked.

They could have easily copy-pasted the 6th edition Apocalypse Super-heavy transport rules and had none of these problems. This is pure incompetence.

6 hours ago, TheNineteenth said:

These new transport rules are totally half-baked.

They could have easily copy-pasted the 6th edition Apocalypse Super-heavy transport rules and had none of these problems. This is pure incompetence.

Lol they could have easily copy-paste a lot of older editions rules and came out with a better game. But they made a bunch of brand-new stuff and didn't iron it out properly, like the spicula rockets all over again.

Somewhat related/somewhat unrelated to the topic, I’ve looked up the Phobos Land Raider in the “classic” units updated list GW/FW put out and noticed it does not give any indications to which types of units it can transport. I think it’d be silly if a Proteus could be a DT for terminators but not the Phobos. Anyone know if we’ve received any clarifications for the Phobos?

3 hours ago, Bloody Legionnaire said:

Somewhat related/somewhat unrelated to the topic, I’ve looked up the Phobos Land Raider in the “classic” units updated list GW/FW put out and noticed it does not give any indications to which types of units it can transport. I think it’d be silly if a Proteus could be a DT for terminators but not the Phobos. Anyone know if we’ve received any clarifications for the Phobos?

Your observation is accurate, they’ve decided to make an unnecessary distinction between the two, because one of them is current HH range, and the other is 40k range… I doubt anyone you play against is likely to object if you take a Phobos as a DT. At least, I’d hope not…!

1 minute ago, General Zodd said:

Your observation is accurate, they’ve decided to make an unnecessary distinction between the two, because one of them is current HH range, and the other is 40k range… I doubt anyone you play against is likely to object if you take a Phobos as a DT. At least, I’d hope not…!

But FW still offers the Land Raider MkIIB.. so it isn’t strictly a model in the 40k range, which makes even more frustrating that they somehow dropped the ball with this.