A couple of general paint questions

hd3

So I'm designing my own homebrew chapter, I'm fairly set on the colour scheme, white with orange trim and black for knee joints etc. With maybe some silver for mechanical bits. I'm wondering if anyone knows which citadel paints would best suit that or if I should even use those as opposed to some other brand? I want a strong contrast with a dull matte finish, like they've got a little dust on them. 

Also can anyone tell me if these transfers will fit a marine shoulder?

https://combatminiatures.org/products/imperial-japanese-navy-decal

Edited by hd3

White is a colour that tends to cause people a lot of grief - it's not that easy to shade/highlight (in terms of colour selection and it "looking right"), and some people really don't like the white paints available. In terms of actually painting white, the general rule of thumb is to use a light grey/offwhite base coat, and then highlight up to white, rather than using a white base, and I know some people prefer to use artist's paint (Golden, etc) instead of model paint to get coverage due to the increased pigment density. Juan Hidalgo has an entry on white in his "'eavy Contrast" series of tutorials, which might help.

Orange is often considered a difficult colour, due to coverage issues (reds and yellows fall into this category too). If you find your chosen colour isn't covering very well, you could try painting the area with an ochre first, or perhaps using one of the Contrast paints to lay down a solidish orangish colour before going over it with the "real" colour? (Magmadroth Flame will give you a "flat" orange with little-to-no "Contrast effect")

In terms of paints, the Citadel, Vallejo, and P3 lines are all very good, although they all have good and bad colours (coverage can vary). As a rule of thumb, Citadel "Base" paints tend to have rather good coverage. If you want a dull, matte finish, probably the best way to do that is a matte varnish at the end of the painting process.

Don't know if that's any help :smile:

I'd go for something like the following;

1.  Base Coat- Wraithbone, preferably the spray, but brushing on will work.

2. A) Zenithal Prime- Corax White spray from high up, 30-45 degrees  OR
    B) White Overbrush- Again Corax White, but applied like a drybrush, but make sure the brush is a little moist, not dry. dry. Apply in a top to bottom motion only, avoiding extreme recesses (between the legs, underside of arms etc.

3. Shading the White- 4:1 Skeleton Horde : Contrast Medium OR 3:1 Seraphim Sepia : Lahmian Medium brushed directly into recesses, or all over for a slightly dirtier armour. Can be added in layers to darken to taste.

4. Orange- 50:50 Gryphound Orange : Iyanden Yellow

5. Blacks- Black Templar if you'd like some highlights sticking through, Black Legion if you'd like a more subdued finish.

6. Metallics- Iron Warriors for a darker metal, Leadbelcher for a brighter silver. Use Black Legion/Templar thinned 3:1 with medium to wash over the metallics.

Optional- A Matt Varnish, GW doesn't have oe\ne, theirs is a Satin Varnish, BUT Lahmian Medium can be used as a Matt finish (it's not a Varnish, but it will matt down some shine).

Total paint count is 2 Sprays (or 1 Spray, 1 Base paint), 5 Contrasts (or 3 Contrast, 2 Shades), and 1 Metallic.

Edited by Grotsmasha

On 8/25/2022 at 10:41 PM, Grotsmasha said:

B) White Overbrush- Again Corax White, but applied like a drybrush, but make sure the brush is a little moist, not dry. dry. Apply in a top to bottom motion only, avoiding extreme recesses (between the legs, underside of arms etc.

3. Shading the White- 4:1 Skeleton Horde : Contrast Medium OR 3:1 Seraphim Sepia : Lahmian Medium brushed directly into recesses, or all over for a slightly dirtier armour. Can be added in layers to darken to taste.

5. Blacks- Black Templar if you'd like some highlights sticking through, Black Legion if you'd like a more subdued finish.

6. Metallics- Iron Warriors for a darker metal, Leadbelcher for a brighter silver. Use Black Legion/Templar thinned 3:1 with medium to wash over the metallics.

Optional- A Matt Varnish, GW doesn't have oe\ne, theirs is a Satin Varnish, BUT Lahmian Medium can be used as a Matt finish (it's not a Varnish, but it will matt down some shine).

Total paint count is 2 Sprays (or 1 Spray, 1 Base paint), 5 Contrasts (or 3 Contrast, 2 Shades), and 1 Metallic.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:41 PM, Grotsmasha said:

Thanks! This looks a great paint guide for a new beginner! I did have a couple of questions about the terminology:

Whats a oe/ne? When you say mix with medium you mean thr lahmian medium paint, right?

7 hours ago, hd3 said:

Whats a oe/ne? When you say mix with medium you mean thr lahmian medium paint, right?

Yeah, typo, I meant to backspace the first e, making the correct word one.

Lahmian Medium is a colourless paint and works for most of the range, but not Contrast, be sure to use the specific Contrast Medium.  If you'd like to save on purchses, Contrast Medium will work with the traditional paints, but will alter is behaviour depending on how much it's diluted with the Medium.

I was bored and had a mini to spare so.......this happened, following the steps provided above,

Primed, with some missed bits touched up with bottle Wraithbone, then the White overbrush,
PSX_20220828_015200.jpg

The white isn't very discernible above, but you'll see the edges popping out in the next pic, we also didn't discuss pouches, eye lenses, I've used Contrast Wildwood for the pouches, but a mix of Black Legion/Templar and Skeleton Horde could achieve the same colour. Blood Angels Red Contrast for the lenses and Purity seal, paper on the seal is unmixed / diluted Skeleton Horde. 
PSX_20220828_015303.jpg

For a quick, table-top standard you could do the base and call it a day right here.

However, I did come back in with the White and do a single pass of edge highlights, as i feel the small amount of effort gives a large payout,
PSX_20220828_015352.jpg

I'm really keen on Grotsmasha's test mini there, they've done a fantastic job.

The only change I'd possibly consider is to get a slightly cooler tone to the white so there's more contrast (actual visual contrast, not the paint variety) between the white and orange.

You could do this by swapping the Wraithbone for Greyseer and then using either Soulblight Grey Shade, Briar Queen Chill Contrast or Pilar Glacier Contrast to give a grey, green or blue tint to the white.

I think the Orange, Red and browns would really pop against a cooler, starker white.

Rik

7 hours ago, Rik Lightstar said:

The only change I'd possibly consider is to get a slightly cooler tone to the white so there's more contrast (actual visual contrast, not the paint variety) between the white and orange.

The easiest way to achieve this would be to switch the Skeleton Horde for Apothecary White, as it's based in the greys rather than browns :thumbsup:

On 8/28/2022 at 1:12 AM, Grotsmasha said:

I was bored and had a mini to spare so.......this happened, following the steps provided above,

Primed, with some missed bits touched up with bottle Wraithbone, then the White overbrush,
PSX_20220828_015200.jpg

The white isn't very discernible above, but you'll see the edges popping out in the next pic, we also didn't discuss pouches, eye lenses, I've used Contrast Wildwood for the pouches, but a mix of Black Legion/Templar and Skeleton Horde could achieve the same colour. Blood Angels Red Contrast for the lenses and Purity seal, paper on the seal is unmixed / diluted Skeleton Horde. 
PSX_20220828_015303.jpg

For a quick, table-top standard you could do the base and call it a day right here.

However, I did come back in with the White and do a single pass of edge highlights, as i feel the small amount of effort gives a large payout,
PSX_20220828_015352.jpg

Damn, minus the samurai parts this is almost exactly what imagined.  I might add a little more orange highlightsto contrast but otherwise amazing!!!!