Space Marines Decals Significance Explained

hd3
Go to solution Solved by Grotsmasha,

Does anyone know of an official guide for the squad marking decals for the other founding legions? I managed to find one for the ultramarines easily enough but I'm unsure about the meaning of the transfers for dark angels, blood angels, etc. Is there a compilated guide for the meaning of transfers anywhere? The space wolves ones in particularly seem to have no rhyme or reason I can make out. I was also wondering if there was a black version of the standard battlefield role transfers as opposed to the normal white ones?

There’s not really an official compilation anywhere (as in not GW official website or anything) - the official heraldry is usually shown in Codexes for each sub-faction.

That said, you can find a lot of information about the heraldry of the different Chapters on places like Lexicanum (the 40K portion), Warhammer 40K Wiki on Fandom, or doing a look up on Google - as long as you are looking at the Codex pages themselves (should look similar to what Marshal Mittens posted above), then it will be the official marking meanings.  Here’s the Space Marine Chapter portal on Lexicanum: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Portal:Space_Marines - the thing I like about Lexicanum over the Wiki on Fandom is that Lexicanum cites their sources, so if you see something being listed from a Codex, it’s likely an original source - Wiki on Fandom doesn’t really have any cited sources, so you can encounter more fan-made content unaware.

As far as the Space Wolves - they don’t really have a set pack marking structure, other than members of the pack carry the same markings, and Claw packs have red and yellow markings, Hunter packs have red and black markings, and Fang packs have black on white markings.  Wolf Scout packs using black and storm grey markings, Wulfen that bother having structured markings use red and bone white, while Wolf Guard use yellow and black markings.  There are also a number of honor markings of various shapes and colors that look similar to pack markings and may be placed in various locations on the armor.

If there are specific icons/glyphs/markings, etc., from the decal set (especially since there are various decal pages) that you want to know about, you could also post pictures of them here and we may be able to help you out better with specific meanings from various GW books.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

• Solution
On 10/2/2022 at 6:02 PM, hd3 said:

I was also wondering if there was a black version of the standard battlefield role transfers as opposed to the normal white ones?

GW's Tome Keepers Chapter decals came in black, and came free with White Dwarf 465

s-l400.jpg

Edited by Grotsmasha

On 10/16/2022 at 9:28 PM, WrathOfTheLion said:

Does the UM transfer sheet have white roman numerals on it?

Don't have it in front of me, but thought it had both.

The one I have only has black numerals but its not a standard ultramarine one so it may be different