Slap Chop! Anyone tried this painting method?

I had to get gloss varnish today, so I picked up two Liquitex inks and an example of true "slap chop." This is black base coat and dry brushed white. I did two passes of dry brushing, one at medium angle and one at high angle. 

hgfv8Scl.jpg

What we're seeing is a basic zenithal highlight, created with dry brushing rather than an airbrush.  You can see the effect of the high angle pass, with a greater build up of white at the top; where the 'light' would be hitting the mini. It's a bit scratchy, and the gradation is not too fine when zoomed in. Zoom out a bit and it looks better, but there are still some scratches.

BLNAz3rl.jpg

Pm3DyTBl.jpg

And at more of a table top distance:

lEZlFjwl.jpg

I think the method has caught on because it's airbrush style results without an airbrush. Here's the thing: whether you're using an airbrush or dry brushing to make the zenithal highlight, the more passes your do at different angles (either building up the white at progressively higher angles or even transitioning from grey at medium angles to white at high angles), the finer the gradation. The finer the gradation, the better the shade blending looks. While I learned about the techniques existence Tabletop Minions, it was an excellent three part series on this from Dana Howl that blew my mind to the possibilities this presented to a mediocre-to-average painter like myself. Links the spoiler because YouTube links became big pictures and I don't know to stop it.

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Noserenda said:

You can get a good zenithal with a rattlecan too, i got really into it with my deathguard :D 

That's how I intend to do it!!  Going to try this out with my bloodletters and pink horrors for my new Killteam ! 

M.  

Personally my take is it has it's good points as it has drawn attention to glazing and under-shading but the name is utter pure cringe. It seems to have created a misunderstanding that someone is trying to brand existing techniques which I do not think was the original intention but seems to be the general perception. 

The sooner the name vanishes though the better as I grimace each time I see it. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Doghouse said:

Personally my take is it has it's good points as it has drawn attention to glazing and under-shading but the name is utter pure cringe. It seems to have created a misunderstanding that someone is trying to brand existing techniques which I do not think was the original intention but seems to be the general perception. 

The sooner the name vanishes though the better as I grimace each time I see it. :laugh:

Slap chop sounds like something chavs do to random people just to film for the lols online. 

• 2 weeks later...