Guard reveals

2 hours ago, duz_ said:

Indeed it appears based on the contents your army must be lead by one of those deadbeat Cadians :dry:

We all know what happened last time someone left one of them in charge... :down:

As IL suggested you can just field a commander and use their rules I guess? 

Use whatever regimental commander you have and use the appropriate datasheet.

I just can't believe that they didn't put any non-cadian specific unit in there with more than 1 order. Lord Solar being a special character mean I don't want to field that one either. This really is Codex: Cadian and Codex: Only the Box Options. I KNOW that we can field the cadian X as whatever, but did it have to be so specific...

Everybody hoping for decent Krieg rules and instead there are none, just soup away with any rules you like, at the same time as we lose generic company commanders. I'd like it more if they didn't do this weird hybrid setup, and didn't force us into counts-as if we don't want to choose between vox and plasma for no other reason than 'that's what the box builds'. What happened to the FW Krieg options - we had weapon packs, dagnabbit! 

Isn't the generic company commander now part of the command squad? 

unfortunately it appears that there is only the platoon command squad not a company command squad, but I thought generic officers were rolled into the command squads?

Honestly, with orders bouncing, one order is enough to cover a battleline. 

And while I get the frustration a bit, regimental keywords are no longer relevant for orders. So you can take the Castellan, kitbash them to look like a Krieger and run them as a Marshall, simply ignoring the Cadian keyword they have. It makes 0 difference beyond some strategem interactions.

Yeah I know, there's nothing stopping us from running counts as... Except for that irksome feeling of having been forgotten in favour of specific new plastic kits. It's a sad day for the hobby aspect when sales tactics are sooo ingrained in the books. 

I might have to get a 2nd hand codex and just take a big old sharpie to it to cross out all the pictures and references to Cadia. It might be cathartic... 

I do prefer HH's approach where they don't specify things so hard. Ruinstorm list was simply amazing! "use something about yea big, with claws or something halfway sharp at least".

I'm not sure why I'm having such issues letting go of 40k for a while... I enjoy every aspect of HH more after all. 

29 minutes ago, Sawtooth said:

I notice Chimeras let an embarked officer issue a single order, which is interesting. Is there a role for a command squad in one as a roving command post?

Roving command post probably not, but you can toss a squad with a castellan into a chimera, disembark the squad and issue an order from within the chimera.

9 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Order 1 command squads being 75 is rather disappointing, old cost for that would be 50:ermm: and then being moved to an hq slot on top:ohmy:

In fairness, the whole unit gets character protection and has much more utility now. The banner upgrade alone with its rr 1s to wound aura is incredibly good. Add to that increased order range, 24 instead of 18 from the Vox and I think it makes sense.

Besides...a lot of Guard lists will have a good 100 - 150 points spare anyway, thanks to not needing 3 Demo TCs anymore. :D

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

They're not wrong, they're just not matched play lists. Rule of 3 etc only applies to that, while GW themselves tend to put a pretty heavy narrative slant on a lot of things. Like these lists.

The only actual error I can see is when they said Vanguard while meaning Spearhead.

So on the 1st list, it is a points-based list, the article says so, even if you go way back, and assume they use out of date rules (why would you?) the rule of 3 is there. It not just a magical tournament rule:yes:

on the 3rd list, even if it wasn't matched, there's no way to dodge the hq restrictions as its a codex thing:laugh:

In both cases you could say both players agree to ignore those rules....:ermm::tongue::laugh:

Edited by Emperor Ming

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

So on the 1st list, it is a points-based list, the article says so, even if you go way back, and assume they use out of date rules (why would you?) the rule of 3 is there. It not just a magical tournament rule:yes:

Rule of 2/3 (incursion/strike force) is literally just a mission pack rule in 9th ed, not a matched play rule. Its repeated in pretty much all official mission packs (sometime without the rule of 2 for smaller games) but its not a house rule to not use it.

I still kind of wish here was a way to get more HW teams in most games though as I own too many.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

two questions here.

If infantry is embarked in chimeras do we have any way to give them order (since it's happening in command phase) other than disembarking an officer from transport that turn?

Also if we give orders to the bulgrim unit with the lord solar, do these order splash to another bulgrim unit nearby?

What's interesting is that you don't need to get an officer out of the same transport as the unit that needs to be ordered.  Also, with mechanized infantry, good luck on stopping RND out of a valkyrie.

As for ordering Bullgryn, the order won't bounce *to* Bullgryn, but they might bounce *from* bullgryn to nearby units.  It just depends on the wording