Guard reveals

5 hours ago, jarms48 said:

The only one that may be useful is the Bombast one, but if Guard lose the no line-of-sight exemption it's going to basically kill all of our artillery options. Going from BS4+ to BS5+ and losing a point of AP is a massive nerf. 

Basy, Manty, Wyvy, Mortar and Bombast field gun have the ability "Blast. This weapon can target units that are not visible to the bearier"
Edit:
And i may be blind, but i don't see the rule that lets ignore the penalty to hit when shooting out of LOS target

Edited by Shamansky

57 minutes ago, Shamansky said:

Basy, Manty, Wyvy, Mortar and Bombast field gun have the ability "Blast. This weapon can target units that are not visible to the bearier"
Edit:
And i may be blind, but i don't see the rule that lets ignore the penalty to hit when shooting out of LOS target

Hitting back on a 4+ with the order take aim and 3+ with the sentinels and vox through the army ability. Then you could have full re-roles with Solar or re-role 1’s with Creed and +1 strength - there are was to buff them.

1 hour ago, TCC said:

Hitting back on a 4+ with the order take aim

You can do that only with HWS and FOB, as 'Take aim' is Regimental order and can be issued to PLATOON units only. While Basy, Wyvy and Manty are SQUADRON and can be issued only Mechanized orders. You can give them reroll of 1s with 'Gunners kill on sight' or increase number of attacks with 'Pound them to dust' by doubling the number of models in the target unit.
Also HWS is not ARTILLERY, so Expert Bombardiers has no use to the unit.

2 hours ago, Shamansky said:

Edit:

It's in the balance data sheet. In fact due to its location as part of the new rule itself (saying that astra millitarum is excempt from the rule) I have a strong feeling we may be keeping it. But it remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, Shamansky said:

Edit:

Dataslate. All ignore line of sight weapons get -1BS, not -1 to hit so they stack, and -1 AP. Guard have an exception to this and will likely be removed in the January dataslate. Which will make our artillery far worse. 

Edited by jarms48

I kind of hope they take AOC away and leave us with the line of sight upgrade. But it's not in the book and if so they could have just added it rather than rely on a data slate. Guess we'll see, probably best to play and act like the data slate doesn't exist right now.

46 minutes ago, Shamansky said:

You can do that only with HWS and FOB, as 'Take aim' is Regimental order and can be issued to PLATOON units only. While Basy, Wyvy and Manty are SQUADRON and can be issued only Mechanized orders. You can give them reroll of 1s with 'Gunners kill on sight' or increase number of attacks with 'Pound them to dust' by doubling the number of models in the target unit.
Also HWS is not ARTILLERY, so Expert Bombardiers has no use to the unit.

yep, when I wrote that I meant FOB but somehow managed to it actually not type it in the whole message. I feel GW have added these tweaks to make FOB the most powerful option (because they are new) and sadly I believe we will loose the dataslate ability of line of sight - which works in the FOB favor as it’s allows for the best modified BS for any none line of sight weapons as far as I’m aware.

Edited by TCC

At the end of the day, we have ways to mitigate the LoS penalty. Take Aim for regimental stuff, expert bombardiers for mechanised. For both flavours there are easy ways to get reroll 1s to hit. So we'll still be able to hit on 4s, rerolling 1s. Which is no worse than it's been for the old book, WITH the indirect exception. You devoted a regimental doctrine slot when going for blast weapons before anyway, so again, that's no extra thing that's being devoted.

So I really don't get the idea that it's completely worthless now, unless your expectation was to completely smash an opponent with artillery in 2 turns. Which artillery has never been designed to do, it's always been about attrition damage over multiple turns.

I could be wrong, hopefully I am. But if they wanted us to have things like AOC then it would be in the codex wouldn't it? I am assuming we'll lose it and if I am wrong then I'll be happily wrong.

Not sure. It's likely the Codex was already finalised when they added AoC for Guard vehicles. Not much point speculation about what might happen for us in the dataslate. We'll seewhen the next version comes out. For the time being it's best to talk to your opponent/TO whether it should apply.

1 hour ago, INKS said:

I could be wrong, hopefully I am. But if they wanted us to have things like AOC then it would be in the codex wouldn't it? I am assuming we'll lose it and if I am wrong then I'll be happily wrong.

We’re Not losing AOC.

chaos didn’t lose it neither are we.

these dataslate updates cover multiple armies and effect the external balance not just the internal balance.

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Minor issue with that is, if they wanted it to be in the chaos space marine dex, it would have been written into it, like the squats have in their codex:yes:

Would they have? Seems like what is written in the codex isn’t very important any more. 

5 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Minor issue with that is, if they wanted it to be in the chaos space marine dex, it would have been written into it, like the squats have in their codex:yes:

The issue is that Void Armour (Squats AoC+) is on non-powered armoured units, in fact it's on ALL the squats units, so makes sense to include in the codex.

I am of the mind that the Indirect Fire Weapon bonus for Guard will stay. The rule is a wider balance change in the Dataslate, unrelated to the codex. Unless they change their mind on what the Indirect Fire Weapons rule was meant to achieve of course, but then it will not just be a change for the Guard.

However, I fully expect everything included in the Astra Militarum section to be removed/changed.

Edited by FelipeFlops

16 minutes ago, Tallarn Commander said:

What upgrades can company command squads take? The Goonhammer and other reviews sort of gloss over this (or I just missed it).

What upgrades can company command squads take? The Goonhammer and other reviews sort of gloss over this (or I just missed it).

Platoon Command or Cadian Command? There are two different kinds now.

Cadia is 4 vets, chainsword, medi pack, master vox and standard, load out is weird cos of box restrictions:

2 can swap out for special weapons, if you want two specials, one of the swaps has to be the banner:laugh::sad:

1 can have a bolt pistol or plasma pistol

cs can be replaced by pf or ps

officer can swap cs for ps or pf and las pistol can swap for pp or bp

key point as well the 4 vets are no longer bs3, which should have come with points decrease really:sad:

platoon again is weird

all start with lasgun this time

2 can form a heavy weapons team

any can swap for master vox etc

any can swap for special weapon, but no duplication, so no 4 snipers 4 plasma and so on

Edited by Emperor Ming