An interesting opinion piece about returning Primarchs and the Cons of a new Civil War

Orange Knight

2 minutes ago, jaxom said:

The old lore was that the Old Ones won the War in Heaven, but the numbers of Krork and Eldar they created to do so caused a boom in warp-parasites. The Old Ones basically pulled a Halo/Forerunner (or vice-versa due to Halo coming later), doing a slash-and-burn on sentient races, including themselves. The retcon/recent lore is that the Old Ones were winning, but then the Necrontyr made a deal with the C'tan and the newly ascended Necrons won the war. This ended up explaining why the Aeldari early history is so much mythology: they were shattered, as a society, along with the Old Ones. The Necrons then broke themselves fighting the C'tan, so the Aeldari ended up surviving, but in the ruins of their old civilization with myths replacing history as societal continuity was broken.

Yeah, so its all kinda/sorta still valid, that the uptick in Warp use (Krork/Eldar) and general destruction, lead to an eventual collapse.

My point though was more that the Old Ones didnt have to deal with the Warp of the present. Which is far more volatile, and is now sentient (Warp Gods) which aligns with the old old Lore of the Emperor/Shaman creation story.

TLDR: The Emperor should not be able to stand against the Warp, its the worst retcon of all time really. ;)

On 10/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, Scribe said:

To be fair, asking GW to reach the bar ADB sets is...unfair and only sets us up for repeated disappointment. :D

Sad, but so very true.

The company DEFINITELY needs to hire better editors, to ensure the story doesn't get derailed when a writer tries to make All New, All Different Warhammer 40,000.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

1 hour ago, Bjorn Firewalker said:

Sad, but so very true.

The company DEFINITELY needs to hire better editors, to ensure the story doesn't get derailed when a writer tries to make All New,.All Different Warhammer 40,000.

Id say get the quality of the writing sorted before they derail it. 

On 10/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, jaxom said:

Chaos won the ground war, but the Imperial Navy held the skies. I didn't pound Chaos fleet after Chaos fleet into rapidly expanding clouds of gas and shrapnel just to be told GW backpedaled on the results. The results were clear: Chaos couldn't capitalize on the wins because they couldn't get off the planets they won.

Man, I miss Battlefleet Gothic.

The other organized standouts were the Dark Angels and the Space Wolves, courtesy of the B&C. @The Shadow Guard even got a task group named after him the White Dwarf write up of the campaign.

I always thought the player behaviour, the different groups, GW's goalpost moving and back-pedelling, are what makes that whole thing so damn entertaining.

Its too long ago now (although there was an exceptional thread over on Warseer I think that gave full details of the various machinations) but from memory the game result, at least in terms of 40k games, was a convincing disorder victory.

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

at least in terms of 40k games, was a convincing disorder victory.

Oh yes, other than around Caliban and the area the Wolves were at, Chaos won the majority of 40k games (though the Orks technically had the best faction results). However, GW also had submission of Battlefleet Gothic games and the Imperial Navy dominated those results.

Edit: Found a copy of the WD article, I was incorrect about the Orks, Tau had best faction results.

Edited by jaxom
Correction

• 2 weeks later...

A new primarch civil war in 40k would completely jump the shark for the lore. At that point, just bring back the Emperor, wipe out all the loyalist firstborn, and have spirit primarch like Ferrus and Sang, Psykecast Primaris Astartes etc. (thats some nice IP protection there, its so bad no one will want to plagiarize that before GW even would do the copyright paperwork). 

25 minutes ago, MetalMammoth said:

The more new stories I read, the more I think perhaps it wasn't supposed to continue; Point A., I don't find them that great, and the longer you keep going the easier it is to fall into repetition, and point B., the main narrative isn't just a piece of media like a movie or a TV series with a start and an end that you sit down, consume, and promptly move on:

Rather it's a vast universe that you reach into when you want a grim story or when setting up your toy soldiers on the board.

That is a problem with focusing on these flashpoints and saying they are all pivotal. The Imperium holds over a million worlds, the Galaxy has hundreds of billions of star systems, there are uncountable intelligent species besides the ones we play, and yet the fate of everything rides on Guilliman, Belesarius McGuffinus Cawl, and a handful of baddies fighting over a handful of star systems.

It makes things feel very small.

I like the idea that Jonson for instance might get bogged down in the Imperium Nihilus, in a grinding fight with the Fallen Empire, Tyranids, Chaos incursions, etc. Would make a character like that being introduced to the setting seem meaningless, in a good way.