Best Tank Commander Builds

L30n1d4s

I have quite a few AM vehicles (enough to run the old Armoured Company and some), including a whole variety of Leman Russes.

Anyway, now that Tank Commanders are basically the same as normal Russes, but with the ability to give orders and taking an HQ slot instead of a Heavy Support slot, I am looking at what the best load out is for my 1-2 Tank Commanders. I am trying to figure out what the optimal load out is for the price (i.e. weapons, war gear, Tank Ace, Relic, WL Trait, Regimental Doctrines, etc.).

Right now my top ideas are the following:

1) Tank Commander with Demolisher Cannon, 3 x Heavy Flamers, Armoured Tracks

*Regimental Traits: Swift as the Wind (+2" move), Heirloom Weapons (+4" range)

*WL Trait: Lead by Example (can issue orders to self)

*Relic: NONE

*Tank Ace: Meticulous Calibrator (Ignore Light Cover)

2) Tank Commander with Battle Cannon, 2 x Plasma Cannon, 1 x Lascannon, Armoured Tracks

*Regimental Traits: Elite Sharpshooters (can re-roll 1 to Hit roll per phase), Armoured Superiority (counts as 5 models for securing Objectives)

*WL Trait: Lead by Example (can issue orders to self)

*Relic: GATEKEEPER (Hvy 6+D3 S9 AP-3 Dmg3 Battle Cannon)

*Tank Ace: Master of Camouflage (gets Light Cover at > 12" from enemy units)

What about the other Treadheads out there? What good builds have you gotten for your Tank Commanders so far?

Option #1. For now I hesitate on the demolisher. Previously my demolisher tank commanders were my reliable damage dealers, and often my only reliable damage dealers. But, the loss of 'grinding advance' for double shots, 'gunnery experts' for re-roll shots, and spotter details (2" net range loss to heirloom weapons), causes me to pause here. I'm also not keen on using a warlord trait to get self-orders, but maybe I guess. A single D6 shots just might not cut it. That said, if the new 'turret weapon' rule means only the turret is at BS3+ then all flamers below is an interesting option.  

I like Option #2. I'd hope it could have decent ranged damage output, with reasonable durability at range, while also fitting in objective/table-quarter grabbing where necessary. With the warlord trait it operates independently. I also like it because it fits with a plausible buildout for the remaining portions of the army - Regimental Traits : Elite Sharpshooters (can re-roll 1 to Hit roll per phase), Armoured Superiority (counts as 5 models for securing Objectives). I suppose the downside might be spending too much on CP

Edited by Captain Caine 24th

I think the Plasmasponsons are a bit of a trap. With the speed and durability you want to use Russes a bit more aggressively now, especially if you tailor your doctrines around them. That means they'll get tagged, at which point Blast on the sponsons will shut them down.

My take, if you're taking expert sharpshooters, is that a Vanquisher or two thrown in the list is rarely going to be a mistake. 

Gatekeeper looks great, but I have a feeling relic choices are going to be a bit crowded.

Well, this edition is nearly over so hold on to your hats:laugh:

I was never a big fan of magnets, but on new models, I'm just going to have to get used to it, its going to be far easier to swap out stuff, as the game changes so much now, what's good now, might be crap come the next update:yes:

Both heavy bolter sponsons and heavy flamers look decent for 5pts each:smile:

They are certainly not going to heavily contribute to victory, because heavy bolters and especially heavy flamers need a stat upgrade, which is now unlikely to come this edition:sad:

I like heavy flamers, auto hitting gets past the bs4 issues and provides some overwatch defence. Also, you're not taking the -1to hit in combat with heavy weapons and as a final bonus they don't care about how many wounds the model is on:smile:

So, a mix is probably best, some with heavy flamers and some with heavy bolters, again magnets will allow the flexibility to experiment:yes:

This goes for all my tank sponsons. Keepem cheap. I do tend to take the Las Cannon since it's 5 points. All hull weapons costing the same. 

For the dorn I am going a little more out but I assume I'll come to the same conclusion and won't need nipple guns eventually. I guess we'll see.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:16 AM, Captain Caine 24th said:

Option #1. For now I hesitate on the demolisher. Previously my demolisher tank commanders were my reliable damage dealers, and often my only reliable damage dealers. But, the loss of 'grinding advance' for double shots, 'gunnery experts' for re-roll shots, and spotter details (2" net range loss to heirloom weapons), causes me to pause here. I'm also not keen on using a warlord trait to get self-orders, but maybe I guess. A single D6 shots just might not cut it. That said, if the new 'turret weapon' rule means only the turret is at BS3+ then all flamers below is an interesting option.  

I'm with you on the demo cannon. sure you get full 10" move now so you are a little longer ranged than before. but only d6 shots feels bad. watched a guy roll a 1, spend a cp to roll a 2.  They could have used an any 1s and 2s count as 3 for number of shots. 

Edited by mertbl