=] 12 Months of Hobby 2023 [=

Grotsmasha

Forgot to include this one here,

On 12/22/2023 at 9:31 PM, Grotsmasha said:

"Had" to buy some Kratos' for the transfers, but they really complete the model.

image.thumb.png.054f72ebcbfee11fe1c67b746a389815.png

and a completed commission Palatine,

large.PSX_20231215_104443.jpg.3e1cff4bd9

Edited by Grotsmasha

Forgive my tardiness in posting, brothers, but this old dog's not out of the fight (against unpainted models) just yet.

Tomorrow marks my second ever actual foray into (a heavily simplified version of) Kill Team, and to represent a Tempestor for my Scions kill team, I'm working on a Commissar with bolt pistol and power sword.

Or, more formally:

I, Acemund Debonair, Procrastinator Supreme of Talhon, and Speaker of Too Many Words, embark on the Twelve Months of Hobby Challenge once more! For the Month of December, beneath the hallowed sight of Him On Terra, I vow to complete one (1) Imperial Commissar assigned to [The Regiment I haven't Named Yet]. Failure to complete this vow is inexcusable, and will be punished by the withdrawal of applicable seasonal chocolate rations. Only In Painted Models Does Duty End.

large.TMOH24-12-2023.jpg.77a172c12b67dded4eebc92d31129816.jpg.c1926259e1ae7202cf87ed4fee68bbb2.jpg

This picture was taken a couple of hours back, and progress - while slow - is being made - I'm going to keep looking through this thread and cracking on with the paint tonight and tomorrow. By sun-up, my Kill Team should finally have its' officer. :biggrin:

Apologies for the double post, but here he is: Tempestor Commissar Hyatt in the middle of motivating troops executing his duty:

large.TMOH25-12-2023b.jpg.3a33cea09704c04e0b3554bd5fc15136.jpg.f0e46dbfd8e3610954bc7f51889d2cfe.jpg

Seraphim Sepia is such a good wash for skin tones, why didn't I buy this years ago? :wallbash:

The sheer heartache I'd have saved myself with my battle sisters alone would have been worth it.

It also goes on great over Imperial Fists Yellow contrast paint, which is The Best Yellow because it actually just goes on, in one coat, and looks good. No need to spend six hours in prayer beforehand, or apply six different undercoats in gradually yellower shades first.

My Scions are slightly N7 themed, so to keep roughly in the theme, the power sword is painted to look a little bit like a Mass Effect Omni-Blade. It's just contrast orange over silver, with the edges done in the very light orange I used for my Kroot. The effect's not exactly mega accurate, but it actually looks really good at tabletop distance.

More pictures in the spoilers below, including the good Commissar shooting the cameraman's leg off (he's being merciful, it's Sanguinala :tongue:) for suspected heresy.

large.TMOH25-12-2023a.jpg.d0f0d49ffae1752d831338cd4a4732dc.jpg.08ad75d8b4d2da62c369812f6f0211c9.jpg

large.TMOH25-12-2023.jpg.8a409f443a6c46e34e233f7ae931a901.jpg.a6b8496f3cb819f853251a05857a1e33.jpg

I've had five.  I hear you there mate.  Impressive you managed to pull off what you did.

EDIT:

Well while I am at it, I am attempting the Boxing Day Bash so may as well add my vow here:

I, Brother Argent, also vow to complete 13x Objective markers by months end:

large.BoxingDayBash2023Assembled.jpg.1492c6eea57d865e906297b788d2c17a.jpg.a83485ae2df0861e9ee9fb1ac09d646f.jpg

I haven't forgotten the Intercessors.  Been slowly working on them.  They require more efforts then these and its the bending over for long amounts of time that the back still isn't great for.  But I suppose objective markers are a kind of thematic way to get into what I hope to be a massive return to painting next year.

Edited by Brother Argent

Grot, question, can we preemptively declare a plodding along for the first half of 2024? I think i am finally going to buckle down and put the grind in on my Silent King, once I get the remaining paints, and its one of those projects that’d be perfect for a PA vow. 

On 11/18/2023 at 9:16 PM, andes said:

Been painting Warcry stuff as a change of pace, but really want to get this in before the end of the month. For the month of November, I pledge to complete this Imperial Fists Phobos Librarian:

Missed November, but managed to get it done before the end of the year, at least :unsure:

IMG_1729.jpeg.2060e0265034cb931bd25e630b79611f.jpeg

Spoiler

IMG_1730.jpeg.afdaab80203939ac479b7944895be1c8.jpeg

22 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

@Dwango what's the cloth paintscheme for the AdMech? I love the look!

Hey thanks! I do it the same way I paint the armour panels for the mechs etc. mainly because it's quick and easy. I needed a change of approach after painting so many Eldar. The process is as follows;

Black primer

Zenithal zandri dust or dessert  yellow (army painter)

Zenithal screaming skull

drybrush pallid witch flesh

gloss varnish

AK streaking grime panzer grey (with a bit of clean up to taste)

Matt varnish

I've finally completed the Tyranofex's for my Nids commission, BUT, not only did I forget to take a pic of the second one, I've already sent them on their merry way to Japan.

So here's the one I did remember to take a pic of, you'll just need to mentally duplicate it...

image.thumb.png.5ae0284e161b7356194cc94b8590261e.png

Grotsmasha
This post was recognized by Grotsmasha!

Kennyjapan was awarded the badge '12 Months of Hobby 2023 - Completed'

Finally got the plodding along vow done! 

Spoiler

Ryt192M.jpg

1x Company Command Squad inc. Company Commander and Commissar 

1x Platoon Command Squad inc. Platoon Commander

6x Infantry Squads

And as i've sacrificed all of December to get the plodding done for my December vow, I vow to complete this one guardsman by the end of December

Spoiler

vmvcvrq.jpg

Edited by Kennyjapan

Grotsmasha
This post was recognized by Grotsmasha!

Brother Argent was awarded the badge '12 Months of Hobby 2023 - Completed'

So with it being 23:08 on New Years Eve I hereby declare my December vow of 5x Intercessors complete:

large.IntercessorsAfter.jpg.5eecd3e8d862d5690df07c1a71df2fcc.jpg.58d7c2348bc622fbb4324892f9505017.jpg

And so with that I finish my last vow for the 2023 12 Months of Hobby.  Not really how I wanted to end this year.  I ended up falling short of my Plodding Along Vow by 1x Repulsor, 1x Repulsor Executioner and 1x Redemptor.  Even without my back injury in early December I likely would have struggled to get it all done.  Still, GW moving the goal post with points quite a few times leading to needing to recalculate and add models as well as my own procrastination on several occasions made for a difficult run of things. 

I fell a long way short of my goals for the year in a lot of ways and hope to rectify that next year.  Still I kept up with Imperium for most of the year, only falling down when I overwhelmed myself with the Call to Arms.  That's another thing that has disappointed me, but eh, I need to move past the disappointments of this year and get ready for a bigger and better one next year.

After most of the year only painting Imperium's contents I have been really looking forward to stretching my wings a little and, despite me desire to catch back up which I hope to do in the new year, I collect most armies in this game so it cant be too difficult to squeeze in some models in here and there around Imperiums contents.  And that, provided I dont have any more issues with their pay system, should be around July.  I am looking forward to starting to get more marines turning up with the magazine.  I do love Mechanicus and Sisters models but for now they aren't going to be my main army.

Speaking of main armies, new year new army is one of the plans.  I have always loved the guard but never been happy with just cadians of a different colour.  SO with a parts order from Victoria Minatures I am going to have cadians of a different colour and with different hats...

But enough waffling.  I shall attempt to get a summary of my year in the challenge later on but for now, a HUGE THANK YOU to my man @Grotsmasha for running this event every year.  I've been with you for every one and don't intend to stop now.  

Happy new year all and lets rock 2024!!!!

On 11/26/2023 at 8:49 AM, Cleon said:

I had the same issue (even with my proper camera) your background is too bright and all of the camera's self correction gubbins gets confused trying to deal with it. I found after playing with the settings it was much easier to just put a darker background in the light box instead of shooting against white.

Thanks for the advice!, I still need to have a play with lighting as its still a lil too bright and maybe a have a gander for a darker backdrop etc. but that has helped massively!

And the quick December vow complete!

Spoiler

VGoKYiq.jpg

ltDtVLS.jpg

Thanks Grotsmasha for running this all, Pretty much solely from these challenges I have an actually legal fully painted portion of my too many armies for the first time in probably 10years (actually fully legal painted parts of 2 armies shockingly), so many thanks for the motivation these challenges have given!

Edited by Kennyjapan