Converting Nemesis Bolters

Go to solution Solved by Xenith,

Hey guys, I'm building up my 30k Night Lords and I need to make 10 Nemesis bolters for my recon marines but I'm stuck on how to do it in a cost-effective and simple manner. I'm open to suggestions and would love to see photos of the converted nemesis bolters if you have them.

Thanks in advance.

Ave Dominus Nox.

I used some scout sniper rifles I didn't need and cut the scopes and suppressors off and used them on the basic mk6 bolters.

I've also seen people use the thin cylinders made out of plasticard, 1 thickness for the barrel extension and a larger diameter for the suppressor, and a bunch of marine kits come with optional scopes.

• Solution

On 1/3/2023 at 8:26 AM, Dwango said:

I believe @Xenith does a neat conversion using biro ink tubes. 

Yea, you can cut down the ink tubes and just stick them over the bolter barrels like so:

On 9/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, Xenith said:

Progress dump!

After getting pasted by counter-sniper fire last game, I needed to make some of my own. These are a confused mix of seeker, recon marines and headhunters, and can probably be used as all three if needed. Basically dudes with extended, suppressed bolters. A good deal somehow ended up with bare heads also - these were designed with the recon squad in mind - lots of optics, comms gear etc. 

large.IMG20220913143219.jpg.d0e5f84e58daf9292e48e7423436cfcc.jpglarge.IMG20220913143221.jpg.bb22cdbb6a6b92cbef9fbebe383b5de7.jpglarge.IMG20220913143223.jpg.febf4654d3407a4a8c64c57d71e3a6e6.jpg

They'll also have this guy as a squad leader - the gorgeous imperial marine from 2016, that I haven't been able to slot into a position that will do it justive. He'll be the serge of the recons ordinarily, but will also pull duty as a seeker serge with combi disintegrator, or exodus as needed. 

In other news I managed to get some work done on my Levi. I couldn't get a smooth colour with my normal 2 coats of Akhelian, so I bit the bullet and put down a coat of much smoother Kroxigor, then glazed with akhelian to add some blue back in. 

Theeen I went nuts with the transfers, as well as adding a thinned warpstone green glaze to targeted areas of the armour that the light hit. 

large.IMG20220921132421.jpg.497a056a57934004ac373c8e214162d3.jpg

the overperforming vigilator also got some tats, the refoil hydra for command, and a 40k AL icon as it's cool. The suppressor also got hit with gloss varnish as the paint was peeling off - I think due to the undercoat not keying onto the smooth pen - I'll have to sand the recon marine suppressors slightly before undercoating. 

large.IMG20220920185050.jpg.796337f6317a32298a7778888ef75806.jpg

20 hours ago, Xenith said:

Yea, you can cut down the ink tubes and just stick them over the bolter barrels like so:

Thanks for this, this looks like the most cost effective method. Any suggestions on the scopes?

3 hours ago, SyNidus said:

scopes?

The one on the normal marine is just a mk7 tactical squad scope bit, while the one on the vigilator is from the intercessor heavy bolt rifle - if you have a unit of intercessors you get like 3 scope options per model I think, so you end up with decent spares. 

Great advice in here! Thanks brothers!

Are there any helmets out there that one could use for Nemesis Destroyer? The FW Destroyer helmets look really awesome but I don't want to go and buy 10 Destroyer to only use the helmets. Amy suggestions?

1 hour ago, derLumpi said:

Are there any helmets out there that one could use for Nemesis Destroyer? The FW Destroyer helmets look really awesome but I don't want to go and buy 10 Destroyer to only use the helmets. Amy suggestions?

Legion specific? or something like plastic tartaros helmets? 

16 hours ago, Dwango said:

Legion specific? or something like plastic tartaros helmets? 

I was talking about the normal Destroyer helmets from the FW Destroyer kit. I looked at all those known 3rd party shops but couldn't find suitable helmets that come close to the original. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 7:08 PM, derLumpi said:

I was talking about the normal Destroyer helmets from the FW Destroyer kit. I looked at all those known 3rd party shops but couldn't find suitable helmets that come close to the original. 

I think the example in the Exemplary Battles also used some of these. Still not cheap, but I think they look good:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Ultramarines-MkIV-Praetorian-Heads-Upgrade-Set

In fact, maybe I will get these for my 'Coils of the Hydra' destroyers (haven't decided between Mortus and Nemesis). I was looking for the same as you, with no luck.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:56 PM, derLumpi said:

I converted my destroyer helms by just green stuffing up the helm vents and adding the little box respirators to the side of standard MK4 and mk6 helms - check my AL blog for photos!