PDF force to support my Space Marines

Arikel

Recently picked up the new guard army box as the basis to start a supporting force for my space Marines. I envision them as a more of a crowd control/garrison/suppression force, the Iron Boots themselves would be tackling most heavy threats. A Mechanized Police force if you would.

What would riot police look like in 40k? I see lots of low ap,high volume firepower. Flamers, Malleus Rocket Launchers and such from what comes in the box. As additional purchases Bullgryns to hold center and mayhaps some of the new arbites with their shields to flank them, if they can be used with guard.

As a force that would be expecting to mostly deal with numerous lightly armoured rabble, I am looking at armoured sentinels, flamer equipped chimeras (though tauroxes might fit the look of the theme better), and other light fighting vehicles(the hellhound came to mind) for their Vehicles. A valkyrie or two might work as well, outfitted for crowd suppression of course(rocket pods!).

Of course, any police force worth its salt will also require some mounted police. Breaking up crowds and forcing them back with a massive wall of horseflesh is a time honoured tradition!

Anywho, as you can see I am a little excited to start this project, though likely will need to wait till spring so I can properly base my new fellas.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcome.

If anyone has idea on wheeled APC’s that could stand in for tauroxes or chimeras that would be nice. I found a nice conversion kit for a wheeled taurox from victoria miniatures but it would be roughly another $25 Canadian on top of a taurox itself. I’m aiming for probably 5-6 transports total so that would be getting a little pricey in the end. I just feel wheeled apc’s would fit better with a police look than tracked ones.

Good day and all that!

WH40K riot "police"

Modern police can often resemble their military counterparts, however, so you may just want to stick with Astra Militarum models. You can distinguish them from military units by giving them a "law enforcement" color scheme or decorations. The benefit here is that they can all be "Astra Militarum" by the rules and benefit from the full Astra Militarum rules.

I suggest looking at 1:56 to 1:66 scale models for modern wheeled military and police vehicles. These can often be found at prices that are lower than GW counterparts, though including them in your army may limit your permission to use them in certain venues. You can WH40Kify the models by adding the appropriate icons.

This sounds like a very interesting project. I look forward to seeing your progress.

This is what 40K riot police would look like

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/07/adeptus-arbites-exaction-squads-are-bristling-with-correctional-gadgets/

but a guard force meant to keep an unruly population in check, I’d imagine would lean on bullgryn and ogryn body guards heavily (protect the upper class from the riff raft)

If you want to keep to the theme I’d go with Grenade launchers and flamers.(tear gas cans, and convertible to spray CS spray)

Have you considered using the GSC Goliath as a taurox and possibly the car as sentinels? Though sentinels already kinda look like those mobile guard tower things you can find.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

One of the neat things about the setting is that you can use a wide variety of models to represent things. In the case of "riot police" the key distinction is how you want them equipped - and shields tend to be one of the common (but by no means universal) elements. The models I linked are specifically the Enforcers of Necromunda. Enforcers are of the planet and responsible for planet-level law enforcement. Since the cultures and technological levels of the myriad planets of the Imperium are so diverse, "enforcers" on different planets might have different appearances/equipment/names. For example, you might decide that your world's enforcers might resemble Greek hoplites, or medieval European footsoldiers, or Tang Dynasty soldiers, or whatever. Meanwhile, the Adeptus Arbites are not of a planet, but instead represent the legal authority of the Imperium via the Adeptus Ministorum. These tend to be a bit more homogenous, but it is not unknown for planetary enforcers on some worlds to more closely resemble the Adeptus Arbites. In general, riots would first be handled by the planetary enforcers, with the Adeptus Arbites becoming involved if the situation either becomes untenable for the enforcers or the unrest escalates to a serious threat to the Imperium's control over that planet. You might also consider a planetary defense force (PDF) as the mechanism for your "riot police." This would fully enable integration with the Astra Militarum rules and incorporation of the abhumans.

A larger question concerns the culture and technological level of the world that you're envisioning. This may drive some of your choices, especially if you're willing to convert or use non-standard models. A simple helmet replacement, which is often very easy via third party bits manufacturers, can give your forces a distinctive appearance while maintaining the obvious associations with the Astra Militarum. You can even opt for more extensive distinctiveness, using models from other ranges to represent the military and law enforcement forces of worlds that don't use the standard patterns of armour that are typically seen on the Astra Militarum (which the Cadian models are intended to wear).

The cadian minis in the box look like they should be fine enough painted up in police type colours. Looking at dark blues and blacks most likely, with a bit of white and maybe gold accents. I wish they had more heads included with the balaclava mask covering the lower face, but looks like only 2-3 of em per sprue, so might look for alternate heads of that type as I think that would look good.

Definitely going to use sentinels. They have that ED-209/AT-ST walker vibe of light  armour designed to fight poorly armed civilians.

Goilaths could be used as replacement Tauroxes I am pretty sure with the group I play with, without needing additional kits to have wheels. Thanks for the link by the way Inso, there is some neat stuff there. If i do go tauroxes might see if I can have them shipped to an American relative to bring over later.

I really love the way the new Arbites look and think they will be wonderful if they can be used easily in the army. Guess i need to wait for the 40k stats sheet to drop to know for sure. I think two squads of shield dudes with a full-size bullgryn squad in the middle as an anchor unit would make a very imposing riot shield wall, with gunmen in the back to mow down the weak and downtrodden from safety and malleus rocket launchers brought in for really big crowds.

Thinking of working mottoes to put on flags and such. So far “Nolite Resitere”, “Arma Habent” and “Parere Aut Mori” have come to mind.