Vote to crown the Black Library Book of the Year!

Here is the link. If you guys read the novels you can have your say:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/02/22/cast-your-vote-today-to-crown-the-black-library-book-of-the-year/?utm_source=CUSTOMERS&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GW_23rd_February_BL_Book_of_the_Year_ENG_&utm_content=&utm_term=

Oh... and if the Dark City doesn't win I will lose all faith in the community lol. That novel is one of the best, grim-dark novels the setting has ever enjoyed.

I voted for Wraithbone Phoenix by Alex Worley.

One of the crime series, but a caper more than a detective piece. Look forward to more.

Also considered Assassinorium: Kingmaker by Robert Rath, which is a great thriller.

Shame the Twice Dead King by Nate Crowley just missed the date range (was 15 Jan 2022) or I'd have considered that for my vote.

But ADB has probably got this one in the bag for Echoes of Eternity. Which I thought was good, it's ADB, but didn't feel as fresh as those above.

Oh this is going to be a hard one, I was so pleasantly surprised by a fair few of the releases this year. I've not been keeping up with the Siege series so that rules Echoes out, and equally as Aramis says it's a damn shame Twice Dead King didn't slip in (though maybe given the sheer amount of great competition that has some benefits at least).

I've narrowed it down to a few choices, which can be broadly divided into the categories of 'I wasn't sure when going in if it'd be my sort of thing, but goddamn this was a great read' - Kingmaker, Ghazgkull' and 'knew/hoped this was going to be a great one from the start, but it certainly lived up to it' - Dark City, Sanguinius.

40 minutes ago, gaurdian31 said:

Had to vote for Assassinorium: Kingmaker. Of the books I read on that list it sticks out in my memory the most and I read it further back then most as well.

That is a fantastic novel. Such a nice surprise, and if I hadn't read the Dark City it would have my vote.

1 hour ago, Orange Knight said:

That is a fantastic novel. Such a nice surprise, and if I hadn't read the Dark City it would have my vote.

I've not read it yet, but that's the same guy who wrote Infinite and Divine. No surprise it's good!

Yeah Kingmaker really deserves it, absolutely gripping and mostly importantly made me so keen i painted all my knights and considered buying more :D 

End and the Death will get it though, its also pretty great, but so much more exposure! 

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

Yeah Kingmaker really deserves it, absolutely gripping and mostly importantly made me so keen i painted all my knights and considered buying more :D 

End and the Death will get it though, its also pretty great, but so much more exposure! 

Did you mean Echoes of Eternity?

Ghaz all the way for me. Already read it three times.

Kingmaker was very close, The Dark City as well but that one works only thanks to the setup of the previous two novels in the series. Oh, and excellent Prince Maesa.

I wish there were at least categories or an option to vote for the top three.

2 hours ago, theSpirea said:

Ghaz all the way for me. Already read it three times.

Kingmaker was very close, The Dark City as well but that one works only thanks to the setup of the previous two novels in the series. Oh, and excellent Prince Maesa.

I wish there were at least categories or an option to vote for the top three.

At the very least separating voting between AoS, HH, and 40k would make a lot of dense

14 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

Don’t forget the crime and horror imprints as well.  I want to praise all their various fingers in pies if I can.

I dont disagree, but given the rather paltry number of books those stories have gotten the last year, didnt seem like very competitive fields.

GW should rectify this by RELEASING MORE BOOKS for both. I dont read Crime, but 2022 wasnt the best year for Horror

14 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

Dark City not even in the top 10?? Well that's just a travesty.

Mortarion above Sanguinius and Garro above them both also is quite surprising to me. 

Did it even get a paperback release yet? I remember the hardcovers were few and far between even by BL's low standards. 

The Pale King seems to have been received well in large part because of low expectations. While it wasn't necessarily a great book, I remember there being a good deal of wariness it was going to be yet another novel where Morty is dragged along the tarmac, along with being penned by Annadales. When it turned out "alright" it was a pleasant surprise.

By contrast, I think Sangy's book had a lot more hype around it by virtue of being written by Wraight, but opinion was more split by virtue of what people wanted out of the story.

Edited by Lord Marshal