Rogal Dorn Tank Lore

Doghouse
Go to solution Solved by lansalt,

I don't really want to be getting the 9th codex seeing as 10th is upon us but I've not been able to track down anything relating to this.

Is the Dorn a brand new model of tank created by Cawl in the same way that Primaris vehicles such as Repulsors have been made or is it being retconned into having been in service for hundreds/thousands of years?

Any info would be appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, lansalt said:

There's nothing in the codex besides a brief text with no background info or about it being old or new. I suspect GW may try to retcon it has always having existed just to make people buy it more and a future inclusion in the HH.

If they retcon it in, I don’t think it’ll date back to the HH, it’s aesthetic just doesn’t match the rest of the proto-guard tanks imho.

in the past retconning and saying “always been there” for new vehicles and equipment was about the only way because if the lore.

now however we have cawl who introduced all sorts of new stuff meaning ‘cawl brought it to us’ is just as easy if not easier than retconning 

3 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

If they retcon it in, I don’t think it’ll date back to the HH, it’s aesthetic just doesn’t match the rest of the proto-guard tanks imho.

in the past retconning and saying “always been there” for new vehicles and equipment was about the only way because if the lore.

now however we have cawl who introduced all sorts of new stuff meaning ‘cawl brought it to us’ is just as easy if not easier than retconning 

GW already retconned the Hammerfall Bunker as always having existed and gave it HH rules, so who knows.

2 hours ago, lansalt said:

There's nothing in the codex besides a brief text with no background info or about it being old or new. I suspect GW may try to retcon it has always having existed just to make people buy it more and a future inclusion in the HH.

This. There's basically zero lore on it right now. One thing I often liked was how back in the BFG days they'd introduce new vessels by saying they were uniquely found in specific sector fleets. With wide spread use being slow to catch on. 

4 hours ago, lansalt said:

Could Space Wolves in HH use Leman Russ tank?

I have a theory on that. The lore for the Macharius was always that it was an incomplete STC, used to make a new tank. What if the Rogal Dorn was the full STC? Base model has dual battle cannons, with an alternative turret with a high powered cannon. if the STC was suitably corrupt, a Forge World might just add two Vanquisher Cannons rather than one big cannon...after all the base turret had two right?

4 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

Could Space Wolves in HH use Leman Russ tank?

I don't think so. That particular cool lore seems to have been sadly forgotten.

57 minutes ago, Cpt_Reaper said:

The lore for the Macharius

My headcanon is the fan theory of it being originally called "Lupercal", following the trend in the early Great Crusade army tanks being named after notorious imperial figures (Malcador, Valdor, Gorgon, Russ...). I mean, can you imagine Horus being ok with a tank named after Leman Russ, but none after himself?

On 3/15/2023 at 11:25 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Tanks dating back to the Heresy has always been a retcon. Except for the Stormhammer and the Carnadon/Aurox you just have a bunch of Forgeworld tanks never intended for heresy use. The Malcador was originally a post-heresy 'second generation baneblade', now its a Great Crusade predecessor to the Leman Russ.

Old fluff was that vehicles took ages to be accepted as official but could originate from any point on the timelime. Now the universe has been shrunk down to just the last two hundred years of the 41st millenium and the pre-scouring era for no good reason with only the cancellation of Fires of Cyraxus and a refusal to bringing Skitari into 30k creating any sense of the two eras being different.

There's always room to find new tanks and varients with the guard, they number in billions and even famous regiments need to be supplied with new machines due to attrition. 

It's the space marines with the small chapter size where it becomes more questionable. 

In regards to the Malcador I think it's funny it's known for being underpowered and slow in 40k, and was made a fast vehicle in 30k. 

I would have liked to learn more about the Dorn though!