Dark hunters - umbra susmus

Martin

6 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Perhaps you got lucky and the ex-UK retailer broke the release embargo, just before it was pulled entirely?  

Do you still have a copy?  

I still have the copy, the store was a multi-brand gamestore in which they carried products by other companies and in various formats (collectible card games, board games etc), back then GW didn't have their own stores in region (compared to now) to handle distribution so possible the store got it in a shipment from UK or from one of the stores in region that orders from GW and nobody got the word to the shop that the book was pulled or GW didn't bother with those books coming out in this part of the world. Generally most stores in this part of the world tend to have shelf copies of books that were pre-ordered by regular customers (on basis that there's bound to be some other people wanting the book if store regulars are pre-ordering it), usually its 2-3 shelf copies in my experience. Was actually surprised when I saw it on the shelf as heard then book was cancelled, If I got my dates correct. I was in Singapore in mid-May the year the book was released

1 hour ago, Dzirhan said:

I still have the copy, the store was a multi-brand gamestore in which they carried products by other companies and in various formats (collectible card games, board games etc), back then GW didn't have their own stores in region (compared to now) to handle distribution so possible the store got it in a shipment from UK or from one of the stores in region that orders from GW and nobody got the word to the shop that the book was pulled or GW didn't bother with those books coming out in this part of the world. Generally most stores in this part of the world tend to have shelf copies of books that were pre-ordered by regular customers (on basis that there's bound to be some other people wanting the book if store regulars are pre-ordering it), usually its 2-3 shelf copies in my experience. Was actually surprised when I saw it on the shelf as heard then book was cancelled, If I got my dates correct. I was in Singapore in mid-May the year the book was released

Awesome, thanks for the detail on how you came across the book.  And also, congratulations on holding such a rare BL artefact!  

11 hours ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

Awesome, thanks for the detail on how you came across the book.  And also, congratulations on holding such a rare BL artefact!  

Thanks, was really a surprise from me back then when I saw it and did a double take, "hang on, wasn't this cancelled" and it was just there on the shelf with the other BL books. Story isn't too bad aside from the usual issue that the book like many BL books is written with plotlines to be resolved in following books, pity Kearney appears to no longer write for them too

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/22/2023 at 4:06 PM, Dumah said:

I have to be honest: I found it straight-up painful to read. I don't think he really got Space Marines and his unfamiliarity with the setting at large was glaring.

Agree. I began reading it but couldn't finish. I went into the Dark Hunters expecting hot takes on technology and a culture of savage head takers with thematic links to how the White Scars are often perceived as barbarians. I just got run-of-the mill Space Marines.

Its kinda the same frustration I have with Callum Davis' and White Dwarf's Tome Keepers.
We've had tales of brotherhood and treachery. Tales of the burden of leadership. Tales of conspiracy and rivalry with other imperial organizations. And yes, I get it, these can be interesting things in their own right...

BUT! The real meat of the Tome Keepers is that they are humanists and rationalists living in an age of superstition and dehumanization. That is the real oomph of their narrative potential. Why make the chapter like that if not to explore those themes?

Emperor knows that if someone like Fehervari or Wraight had been given the Tome Keepers, they would've pounced immediately on the good stuff.

Edited by The Scorpion
syntax error

10 hours ago, The Scorpion said:

Agree. I began reading it but couldn't finish. I went into the Dark Hunters expecting hot takes on technology and a culture of savage head takers with thematic links to how the White Scars are often perceived as barbarians. I just got run-of-the mill Space Marines.

Its kinda the same frustration I have with Callum Davis' and White Dwarf's Tome Keepers.
We've had tales of brotherhood and treachery. Tales of the burden of leadership. Tales of conspiracy and rivalry with other imperial organizations. And yes, I get it, these can be interesting things in their own right...

BUT! The real meat of the Tome Keepers is that they are humanists and rationalists living in an age of superstition and dehumanization. That is the real oomph of their narrative potential. Why make the chapter like that if not to explore those themes?

Emperor knows that someone like Fehervari or Wraight had been given the Tome Keepers, they would've pounced immediately on the good stuff.

Tome Keepers have all the right ingredients to have interesting stories, but it's being published on a magazine that has a very small audience. So it's either that Davis doesn't want to flex his writing skills on a magazine or he's really just that bland. But since reading most of his stuff on white dwarf, I'm thinking it's the latter...

• 4 months later...
On 12/14/2023 at 3:30 AM, System Sound said:

Tome Keepers have all the right ingredients to have interesting stories, but it's being published on a magazine that has a very small audience. So it's either that Davis doesn't want to flex his writing skills on a magazine or he's really just that bland. But since reading most of his stuff on white dwarf, I'm thinking it's the latter...

They are being written by Jon Flindall now, but the quality has not improved. His Iron Lords short story was much better than the latest White Dwarf slog.
That Tome Keepers has so much potential. More than the Dark Hunters, but for some reason the stories leave much to be desired. Luckly that seems to be changing with the new successors tales.

Edited by The Scorpion