40K referenced on South Park

Jarl of Wulfen

Watched the episode of South Park last night and loved the 40K references therein.  General opinions of the show aside, I loved the fact that 40K is popular enough to be acknowledged by the show creators.  I'm sure there are plenty of non hobby people going "What is warhammer??"

I have seen the episode, and it's really funny.

Randy throws a spring break party as Stan and Token play 40k (They also mention some key characters and aura rules). The 40k game is so engaging the boys ignore the party around them, but the joke at 40k is that the party is still going on 3 days later and boys still haven't finished their game.

17 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I have seen the episode, and it's really funny.

Randy throws a spring break party as Stan and Token play 40k (They also mention some key characters and aura rules). The 40k game is so engaging the boys ignore the party around them, but the joke at 40k is that the party is still going on 3 days later and boys still haven't finished their game.

Hehehe, sounds about right. I loved the old WoW episode they did, will have to see if I can find this one somewhere.

48 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

the joke at 40k is that the party is still going on 3 days later and boys still haven't finished their game.

Accurate! 

20 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

Black templars vs SoB ?

When I seen this I read somewhere else there was a link to Tolkien and Raven Guard.

17 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

That's pretty neat! Not big into South Park (I never watched it during the earlier seasons and from what a friend's told me it's gone seriously downhill lately) but it's cool to see 40K pop up on TV.

It hasn't really gone downhill. It's basically satire based around current events. It's as funny as the real world is silly, basically.

From what I've seen, the satire seems a bit more...predictable, nowadays, like they're playing it safe to avoid controversy, which seems a very un-South Park thing to do. Before they used to poke fun at things nobody else dared to; even as recently as 2016, I recall the creators saying they selected the jokes they did so they weren't just repeating what every other satire was doing. More recent episodes seem to be a lot less like that, which is a shame.

Anyway, on a more 40K related note, I wonder if the minis they used photos of for the animation were all just GW stock photos or if there were some staffer's minis in there? I don't recall if GW painted a Black Templars Stormraven.

Been a reference to 40k in every episode this season I think.

7 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Timing seems interesting, chances this was a planned episode with GW?

Not likely knowing the show's creators. Mini painting and wargaming has shown up in earlier seasons they've known about it for awhile chances are they just noticed how 40k is becoming more mainstream in the media and are just using that since South Park has always been a show about current events and trends.

I just see it as the creators, probably being fans or at least interested in the setting if not the hobby, noticing that it's gaining more notice in the wider media landscape and wanting to help out by putting their own spotlight on it for a bit while simultaneously poking fun at it as they would with anything and everything they do this with.